Modern Eagle 1 vs. Modern Eagle V (Tone comparison)

Is that the one from Wildcat guitars? I had eyed that one for a while
Yes that was the blood red glow MEV with red grain filled swamp ash back and neck:

mPSog9W.jpg

FdPympC.jpg

Sir you may just have inspired me onto something. As you may know, one MEV may not be enough. More to come as the cogs in my brain creak towards more self justification

Here's what I had considered (am considering?) too:
- Hardtail and/or single cut version
- Frostbite Glow with some sort of burl top like Brian's builds: https://briansguitars.com/products/paul-reed-smith-private-stock-custom-24-frostbite-glow-2
- Northern lights Glow. The Glow scheme takes care of removing some uncertainty of this color. NL and Aqua Violet can be crapshot that either end up looking terrible (all violet, not vivid, no color separation) or fantastic. Given how the glow effect is done you at least have some guarantee of getting all the colors you expect...

Here's what I had considered (am considering?) too:
- Hardtail and/or single cut version
- Frostbite Glow with some sort of burl top like Brian's builds: https://briansguitars.com/products/paul-reed-smith-private-stock-custom-24-frostbite-glow-2
- Northern lights Glow. The Glow scheme takes care of removing some uncertainty of this color. NL and Aqua Violet can be crapshot that either end up looking terrible (all violet, not vivid, no color separation) or fantastic. Given how the glow effect is done you at least have some guarantee of getting all the colors you expect...

So this is what I am thinking, and of course if has me written all over it.
Singlecut
24 frets
25.5 inch scale
Piezo

Color wise, inspired by your Graveyard 2 inspiration, except I would put Birds of a feather, colour the top of the maple fretboard with the red instead of the grey skies, and have an ash neck with the same effect as the body instead of a maple neck (my ME V 's wood combination just seems to be magic)

have an ash neck with the same effect as the body instead of a maple neck (my ME V 's wood combination just seems to be magic)
Yep if you want to have again that airy tone I don't think there anything else quite like it.

In my opinion, the downfall of an all-original ME1 is the dreadful RP pickups. Replace those with 59/09s (or even several other good pup choices) and it’s a tone monster.

And, I would choose a Brazilian neck EVERY time.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the downfall of an all-original ME1 is the dreadful RP pickups. Replace those with 59/09s (or even several other good pup choices) and it’s a tone monster.

And, I would choose a Brazilian neck EVERY time.

Ditto on the brassy neck!

So, I've been contemplating a 59/09 pickup swap on my ME1 for several years now, and every time I google up on it, I come across your posts - thank you!

Question - what kind of music and tones are you going for? What nuances make the 59/09 the best choice for you?

Thanks again!

Ditto on the brassy neck!

So, I've been contemplating a 59/09 pickup swap on my ME1 for several years now, and every time I google up on it, I come across your posts - thank you!

Question - what kind of music and tones are you going for? What nuances make the 59/09 the best choice for you?

Thanks again!

I play a lot of classic rock. 59/09s give a nice silky sustain, but still have good bite and are articulate. I like 57/08s too, but 59/09s are a bit more fluid without being muddy.

Steve speaks truth. I sent my ME1 back to the PTC to have it upgraded to 57/08s. When I got it back, I compared it to my 59/09 Limited, and the 57/08s just didn't have enough thrust for that guitar, so I then upgraded it to 59/09s. Those pickups will stay in there until I die, if not longer.

Back