Modern Eagle 1 vs. Modern Eagle V (Tone comparison)

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
Happy Thursday folks!

This one took a while to edit if not that long to film. But it was worth it as I have been wanting to do this a long time. A comparison of a classic Modern Eagle 1 to its latest offspring the Modern Eagle V

I went through great pains to try and play exactly the same thing at the same speed, with no effects, neutral amp settings and a comparison across clean, distorted single notes and distorted chords.

Now a few things to note. One, the woods between the guitars is very different. My Modern Eagle 1, is like all other ME1s (i.e. braz neck, fretboard, maple top, mahogany body) but the V is a Private Stock beast so it has a ash neck and body, as well as a maple fretboard. Complicating matters even further is that it has 24 frets so keep that in mind.

Secondly, the ME1 has 6 sounds while the MEV has 34. So I just picked the 6 comparable sounds of the MEV .

The tonal differences were as expected, but without giving too much away, there was a clear winner, at least to my ears. The classic ME 1 or the new kid on the block? I guess you'll have to judge for yourself.

Coming up next, the ME V vs. the 513. This is one I have been wanting to do even more than the ME1 comparison as I consider the ME V more a spiritual successor to the 513, at least in terms of the job it does

I can't wait to see these MEV vids. I love mine. I look at it as the next evolution of the Paul's Guitar. I gigged a couple of PGs at the end of my "live" years and found them to be perfect. The MEV takes that perfection and moved into being the ultimate studio guitar for me.

Briefly had a MEV PS with ash neck+body and ebony fingerboard earlier this year and it was very 'airy' tone-wise. I liked it a lot even though it had to go back (long story).

I found something similar. I have a MEV and a SSH Ltd. As much as I love the SSH, every time I pick up the MEV I notice the TCI pickups are clearer and a little louder than the 58/15MTs. My only complaint with the MEV pickups is they get a little noisy if I get too close to my recording station/screen, probably because they must be a little hotter than the 58/15MTs.

I found something similar. I have a MEV and a SSH Ltd. As much as I love the SSH, every time I pick up the MEV I notice the TCI pickups are clearer and a little louder than the 58/15MTs. My only complaint with the MEV pickups is they get a little noisy if I get too close to my recording station/screen, probably because they must be a little hotter than the 58/15MTs.

Yes they definitely appear to be hotter than one would think. I was quite stunned at the volume difference. I haven't experienced any noise though

I can't wait to see these MEV vids. I love mine. I look at it as the next evolution of the Paul's Guitar. I gigged a couple of PGs at the end of my "live" years and found them to be perfect. The MEV takes that perfection and moved into being the ultimate studio guitar for me.

Haha it may just be the ultimate guitar. The only sad thing about this whole affair is that I am slightly less in love with the 513. Though the 513 has one ace up its sleeve (the heavy humbucker) which the Modern Eagle doesn't

Briefly had a MEV PS with ash neck+body and ebony fingerboard earlier this year and it was very 'airy' tone-wise. I liked it a lot even though it had to go back (long story).

Is that the one from Wildcat guitars? I had eyed that one for a while

I am really enjoying your channel!

I was surprised how good the 5 sounded. I was not a fan of the smaller 408 style pups before as they were not full enough for me - maybe with TCI they will be a good fit!

My only problem with the video was a lack of your wife being on it. She is beautiful and funny. It is fun to watch the interaction between you two - very similar to me and my beautiful wife.

cheers

I don't think I can bring myself to watch the video, because my ME1 is a CRAZY GOOD guitar. Like... it's insane. It's probably THE perfect guitar.

I am really enjoying your channel!

I was surprised how good the 5 sounded. I was not a fan of the smaller 408 style pups before as they were not full enough for me - maybe with TCI they will be a good fit!

My only problem with the video was a lack of your wife being on it. She is beautiful and funny. It is fun to watch the interaction between you two - very similar to me and my beautiful wife.

cheers

Yeah I was also not the biggest fan when I had tried them a few years ago but there's something different going on with the MEV.
Haha and Nidhi (my wife) and me do some.videos up our sleeve

Glad the Ministry is doing well! Always enjoy your videos! Killer room there. H&K AL?!?!? Yeah, I’d love to have that one! You’re supposed to play Limelight when you warm up on those, tsk, tsk! :D:p

For the ME I and Braz necks in general, the pickups matter greatly. I found 59/09s work much better (for what I like) with solid Braz necks than 57/08s. Not sure if yours have the 08 or 09 pickups.

It did have that classic Braz ‘piano tone’ to me. I’m a bigger fan of Braz necks than maple necks but I do have a hankering for a maple neck at the moment :)

The MEV, by virtue of its different tone woods, will have (and sounded like it to me over the video) more bite, presence and quicker attack. Less rounded notes. Electronics and pickups make it a different beast by far.

It certainly makes the ME I sound somewhat dull in comparison.

Both are great guitars, but your MEV is stunningly beautiful!

Back