Modern Eagle 1 : Full Video

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
Hi folks,
Continuing my weekend project.
Have had my ME1 for a few months now and impressed doesn't fully cover it. My thoughts and detailed info in this video, and in case you have ever wondered how 57/08s sound compared to 58/15 LTs, you can just compare the sound clips to 594 video (exact same settings, playing the same thing)

Beauty! Great top for a ME I. Braz RW necks = magic. I find Braz necks enhance the highs and lows, but still keep all the mids.

BUT - you need 59/09s! :D I like 57/08s as well, but not as much with RW necks. I’m weird that way (or my ears or just damaged that way).

38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

I love my ME1, but is has RPs in it, which sound a bit fizzy to me, considering getting a set of 57/08s for it, but it feels wrong to mod the guitar. Looking forward to listening to your vid!

Beauty! Great top for a ME I. Braz RW necks = magic. I find Braz necks enhance the highs and lows, but still keep all the mids.

BUT - you need 59/09s! :D I like 57/08s as well, but not as much with RW necks. I’m weird that way (or my ears or just damaged that way).

My ears must be damaged identically to yours because I agree 100% about 57/08s with certain rosewoods. I took those pickups out of my McCarty so fast because something about it’s solid Brazilian neck didn’t mesh with them; I couldn’t describe it but could hear it. Once the were gone, the guitar sounded like a blanket was lifted.

I’ve played a few Modern Eagle 1’s but it was hard for me to find a lightweight one with a Pattern neck. I stopped looking for one after I acquired the McCarty since they sounded the same to me (due to the McCartys specs). I do wish I had a trem though.

Great video and rundown on an exceptional model. Mine happens to be a 2012, late release as well, and it’s one of the best instruments I have ever owned. The later additions, like the 57/08’s are a welcomed upgrade ( I had an 06 with the RPs).

Love yours! Here’s mine...

IMG_4802.jpg

I have heard a lot of good things about 59/09s. Need to get my grubby claws on a set some day

A
I love my ME1, but is has RPs in it, which sound a bit fizzy to me, considering getting a set of 57/08s for it, but it feels wrong to mod the guitar. Looking forward to listening to your vid!
Agree. I feel trepidation about changing anything on the ME1

Wha
Great video and rundown on an exceptional model. Mine happens to be a 2012, late release as well, and it’s one of the best instruments I have ever owned. The later additions, like the 57/08’s are a welcomed upgrade ( I had an 06 with the RPs).

IMG_4802.jpg
What a beautiful top

IMG_4802.jpg
Freakin gorgeous!

A

Agree. I feel trepidation about changing anything on the ME1
I cheated - Mr. 11 Top did all the upgrades, I merely begged him to sell it to me :D

Loved this so much I changed my PS build from a DC 594 Trem to a P245T. I prefer short scale for playability and tone, but had to have the Pattern Vintage neck carve (and a quilted maple top)!

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

My ears must be damaged identically to yours because I agree 100% about 57/08s with certain rosewoods. I took those pickups out of my McCarty so fast because something about it’s solid Brazilian neck didn’t mesh with them; I couldn’t describe it but could hear it. Once the were gone, the guitar sounded like a blanket was lifted.

I’ve played a few Modern Eagle 1’s but it was hard for me to find a lightweight one with a Pattern neck. I stopped looking for one after I acquired the McCarty since they sounded the same to me (due to the McCartys specs). I do wish I had a trem though.
I searched for years for a ME I SCT in FBJ that was close to 8lbs. Mr. 11Top had it!

I really don’t care for the RPs. I’ve replaced them in all of my ME1s. My pup of choice has been 59/09s. However, I’ve kept the RPs in each guitar’s case to not compromise originality.

I really don’t care for the RPs. I’ve replaced them in all of my ME1s. My pup of choice has been 59/09s. However, I’ve kept the RPs in each guitar’s case to not compromise originality.

Why the 59/09 over the 57/08? What about them matches the guitar better?

I have both and great. I like the 59/09s because they are a bit more saturated with better sustain, but still articulate enough for my taste.

I'll agree with that. I had the PTC put a set of 57/08s in my ME, and they were good. But that guitar's adopted sister is a 59/09 Limited, which is essentially an ME1 with quilt top, IRW neck, and 59/09 pickups. Playing those two side by side, it was clear that the ME just needed a bit more thrust, and the 59/09 pickups provide that nicely. A bit hotter without turning things to mush. I'm really getting used to the PRS 5X/XX temperature of pickup, and as I dial my amp-like things in to those pickups, a lot of my hotter guitars make a real mess of things.

Back