Models or variants you wish PRS had available

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by rpoce24, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Micky!

Micky! Dragon trainer

I remember seeing it live! There is something strange with the chape :confused: Maybe something even more explorer like, without CU inspired horns... So far I prefer the regular Tremonti.

My wish would be WF trem Tremonti

sloanthebone likes this.
  2. donderom

donderom New Member

LSchefman likes this.
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Given the price of Gibson’s arguably comparable L-5 CES ($11,000-12,000), and Byrdland ($10,500), I don’t think the PRS archtop is out of line as a PS, at all.

In the Core range, the Hollowbody models are easily as good at being jazzboxes as any of the plywood Gibsons.

Most of the jazz players I know and have hired on sessions don’t have a multitude of instruments; they tend to invest in a few really great ones. Just my experience, though I’ve hired session players for certain things for 30 years.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  4. Solteroblues

Solteroblues New Member

I'll second (or third, or fourth) the request that they eliminate the black backs, especially on the Whale Blue and Faded Whale Blue guitars. Heck, I don't even like the blue stained back on the Royal Blue, just leave it as natural mahogany!

I do have a guitar that appears to be Whale Blue, but it has a natural back, but I bought it used, so I don't know what color its actually supposed to be...

[​IMG]

Other than that, I'd love to have a CU24-08 with a Pattern Vintage neck from the 594

Egads, pauloqs, dogrocketp and 2 others like this.
  5. strat63

strat63 New Member

I'd like to see PRS make a 335 style guitar. The Hollowbody II is a cool guitar but quite a bit different than a laminate construction 335.

6. donderom

donderom New Member

Going to take over from you Les as much as I can. Post by post, sir, post by post...

7. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Do what you did with the Silver Sky to a Tele.

Andy80 likes this.
  8. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy Stares at bright lights

Any SE with the \m/ pups.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Take over...what? There isn’t a damn thing to take over. I have no influence here.

Of course, neither do you.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  10. donderom

donderom New Member

I meant your experience :) The more experience you got the more I have to learn which is a good thing in my book. As for the influence you helped me to get on the 594 bandwagon )

People don't associate PRS HBs with jazz even if it can be played on them. I don't see the modern market occupied by any brand so it would be cool to have a modern PRS designed for jazz imho.

dogrocketp, bodia and LSchefman like this.
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Oh, sorry, I didn’t get your meaning! I’ll gladly share everything I know (which is not very much!).

I don’t know how you feel, but the more I think I’ve learned, the more I realize I don’t know. It’s really odd how that’s working!

bodia likes this.
  12. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Oh, it exists. Just someone else has it.

[​IMG]

And that Tremonti, too. With a trem.

13. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

What *is* the story behind that guitar?

14. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

I would trip and impale myself on that thing.

15. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

You do know how to make a tasty grilled cheese, getting it out of the oven, not so much;)

bodia likes this.
  16. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I played jazz for a number of years, and still do on occasion. I’ve not been a fan of the PRS archtop till the SE hollowbody standard. A good swing archtop will have a very short percussive attack with a rapid decay. That’s called bark. If someone says that archtop barks, that’s what they mean. Think Freddy Green/Count Basie, or the Bennie Goodman live at Carnegie Hall cd. The next up was the Wes Montgomery sound, think rich, throaty full depth 3.5 X 17” jazz box. When Herb Ellis/ Jim Hall/ Kenny Burrell and the others came along, accenting the 2 & 4th beat was no longer part of the style, so the top end became less pronounced. Music pulse became more important than strict time. Now everything goes. Most jazzers play a 1 pickup guitar, find their tone and lock in.
    The JA15 & others have a very immediate, clear and even sound. I don’t usually like the sound of ebony fingerboards. They irritate me in a Jax box The response and snap is too fast for my ears, so I have a couple boxes I’ve played for years, a Guild X170 and a Loar Korean prototype that is copied from a 1930’s L5. A full depth 17 archtop or even flattop aggravates my surgically repaired right shoulder. From the you tube videos, my ears like the hollowbody standard. Put on a set of D’addarrio half rounds and I think I have a reason to buy. That would give us a modern jazz box with a distinctly PRS sound. I’m just hoping that Jack comes to his senses and asks the factory to make it in some shade of darker blue. I’m toast if he does. And yes, all mahogany is great in a hollow body. It’s warmer.

17. thx712517

thx712517 New Member

What happened to the vintage cherry Santana SE? I really liked that one.

18. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Custom 24 Stoptail.....Cos it’s a doozy doo doo...
    [​IMG]

Egads, WA Paul, pauloqs and 1 other person like this.
  19. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

I think that’s slate blue. I have a 594 in slate blue, which looks very similar to the finish on yours.

20. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

Oh oh I thought of another one. A silver sky with 10” (or 9.5”) fretboard radius. Have them available with maple fretboards. Also silver sky available in transparent finishes.