Models Featuring Pattern or PatternThin (Wide Thin) Neck?

Brian McPartland

Hello. I have an SE 24 with roasted maple neck. I do prefer guitars with 1 11/16" necks. I like my SE so much that I am now looking for another PRS, this time with a budget up to 3k. I love my SE, so I'm not opposed to saving money again (though I prefer Korea over Indonesia). Can anyone tell me which models have Pattern and Pattern Thin necks?

If you take your time on the PRS website looking through their products, they’ll tell you which models use that neck profile.
Custom 24 cores and CE 24 models and S2 thin line models use that shape… all other models use a fatter neck design.

Happy hunting!

CE 24, Core Custom 24, Core Custom 22 (Pattern and Pattern Thin), the current S2 Custom 24 and Custom 24-08, and the S2 McCarty 594 Thinline.

Used custom 22s (the ones with the trem instead of the stop tail) often are wide/thin. Mine is W/T. It is a 2007.

20220217_151231_by_klbryanphotography_df07dki-fullview.jpg

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

20220126_144357_by_klbryanphotography_deyv5yf-fullview.jpg

There are enough pristine fiddles out there from PRS that you don't really have to buy "new" unless that is just your thing. PRS guys aren't usually the relic type. So any little bump or bruise will decrease the price on it. Plenty of great examples out there to be had. You may even get yourself something and have some cash leftover in your pocket if you are looking to spend a three piece.

I would not discount the Regular/Pattern Regular neck profile. I prefer that neck profile over the Wide-Thin/Pattern Thin and the Wide-Fat/Pattern neck profiles. Of the other two profiles, I prefer the Wide-Thin/Pattern Thin over the Wide-Fat/Pattern. I will never get used to how the Wide-Fat/Pattern neck profile fits in my hand.

I would not discount the Regular/Pattern Regular neck profile. I prefer that neck profile over the Wide-Thin/Pattern Thin and the Wide-Fat/Pattern neck profiles. Of the other two profiles, I prefer the Wide-Thin/Pattern Thin over the Wide-Fat/Pattern. I will never get used to how the Wide-Fat/Pattern neck profile fits in my hand.
Me too.

I might be alright with the Pattern Regular, but the wide-fat is out. Even my Wide-Thin has shoulders that feel foreign to my hand, which is accustomed to Fender medium C shape.

I used to only want wide/thin or so I thought. Until I played a couple of S2’s with the pattern regular neck. It is extremely comfortable to me. So much that I rarely touch my SE Tremonti Custom. It has the thinnest of all of my PRS guitars. And others like my CE-24 are wide thin, but not as thin as the Tremonti, and still get played. But what do you get in an LP style
guitar from PRS that is not Wide/Thick. Not my favorite of profiles. But I understand that there are those that love the Wide/Thick.

I used to only want wide/thin or so I thought. Until I played a couple of S2’s with the pattern regular neck. It is extremely comfortable to me. So much that I rarely touch my SE Tremonti Custom. It has the thinnest of all of my PRS guitars. And others like my CE-24 are wide thin, but not as thin as the Tremonti, and still get played. But what do you get in an LP style
guitar from PRS that is not Wide/Thick. Not my favorite of profiles. But I understand that there are those that love the Wide/Thick.
Yep. My CU24 is pattern regular.. it totally feels… perfect.

Used custom 22s (the ones with the trem instead of the stop tail) often are wide/thin. Mine is W/T. It is a 2007.

20220217_151231_by_klbryanphotography_df07dki-fullview.jpg

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

20220126_144357_by_klbryanphotography_deyv5yf-fullview.jpg

There are enough pristine fiddles out there from PRS that you don't really have to buy "new" unless that is just your thing. PRS guys aren't usually the relic type. So any little bump or bruise will decrease the price on it. Plenty of great examples out there to be had. You may even get yourself something and have some cash leftover in your pocket if you are looking to spend a three piece.
Wide/Thin is really comfortable.

I believe that the S2 Custom 24's are switching from Pattern/Regular to Pattern/Thin. Now is the time to get to a guitar shop and compare the two.

My hands aren't overly big (I know, am I revealing myself ) but on PRS'S I don't notice much difference, playing wise, with any of the different types of necks. For me the action makes the difference. I will admit the wide thin is my favorite but it also has the lowest action of all my PRS'S.

Back