Model identification help needed

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
NGD: 2006 PRS Singlecut 10-top with Abalon Birds

PRS single cut, unknown scale length, 2 tone, 2 volume, (4 knobs in the traditional Les Paul location) pickup selector switch in the traditional Les Paul location, single piece top-wrap bridge (what I think of as McCarty style) without a seperate stop bar as you would see on a modern Les Paul, bookmatched carved Maple top with translucent burst finish, bird inlay, Made in Maryland, two covered humbucker unknown model pickups.

What model is this?

Last edited:
The truss rod cover should tell you - if it's blank it's an old 25" scale Singlecut, otherwise it'll say SC245. The production year/serial will help too, the SC245 arrived after PRS won the court case with Gibson regarding body shape.

I'm assuming it has non-locking tuners too?

Last edited:
The truss rod cover should tell you - if it's blank it's an old 25" scale Singlecut, otherwise it'll say SC245. The production year/serial will help too, the SC245 arrived after PRS won the court case with Gibson regarding body shape.

I'm assuming it has non-locking tuners too?

I can only see it from a fuzzy photo on the Internet at the moment but I think you might be on to something with the blank TR cover. That might be it!
I'm planning to do a 100 mile drive to get a closer look at it and I want to have a better idea of what I'm looking at, or what to look for when I get there.
Thanks!

Can you tell if the bridge is fixed or has individually adjustable saddles? Also, is the top satin or gloss?

New Guitar Day. It is said to be a 2006 Singlecut. Gloss finish (I'd rather have the gloss nitro). The only bridge adjustment should be for intonation at the bridge posts and not at each saddle. No idea how to determine what pickups are in it. I don't know much about it and all I have is a mug shot at the moment until I can get some better light outside. I wonder if PRS ever does refinishing of guitars, like if I wanted all cherry without the orange looking finish in the middle. I'll get a better photo eventually.
jywm.jpg

That's looking like a Dark Cherry Burst, a classic PRS color. Looks like a Singlecut with 25 inch scale length. Great guitar!

Yeah, that is awesome! I gotta ask: is that second digit in the price a "4?" Damn!

Yeah, that is awesome! I gotta ask: is that second digit in the price a "4?" Damn!

Yep, and when I snagged this guitar, I did better than I realized. After some research, it seems like this guitar is from the batch of guitars which emerged from the factory as soon as the G lawsuit got squashed for good. A very historical period of time. Here are some specs from the research I found online (below) but I've been told that I can look for something called a MODCAT under the pickup cover and then decipher the code as to exactly what went into it.

figured maple 10-top with its clean natural edge
Really thick and heavy single piece Mahogany body.
Abalone birds (dots are standard)
wide-fat profile mahogany single piece neck that joins the body at the 16th fret yet more comfortable to play than a 50's style "G" neck.
dark Rosewood fretboard
PRS Stop-Tail bridge
non-locking Kluson-style tuners
the two volume controls are the top two dials which kinda freaked me out.
no treble bleed cap on the volume controls (I don't know what that does.)
covered PRS 7 humbuckers

z1ol.jpg

w2hp.jpg

7enn.jpg

Oh, and since it is sort of a historical piece, I'm not changing anything.
These new photos were taken in direct sunlight so the colors are over exaggerated.
The cherry is a lot richer looking (in normal light) and the center is more of an orange (which I like) than a typical light Amber or yellow color.

Tried to change the thread name but that didn't work.
Will restart thread as a NGD.

Back