modding a CE24 to have 509 switching....

henryjurstin13

Anyone seen/know of anything like this? I'm really intrigued by the notion to get a CE24 semi-hollow, and add a middle pickup for a wider variety of "quacky/in-between" sounds. The 509 switching 5 way plus 2 mini toggles, seems like it would adapt itself to a project like this very well. I started down this path because I like the idea of incorporating the older settings from the CU24 rotary into these newer guitars.

• Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone

I've watched the videos where the guy turned his CE24 into a pseudo-Eagle. Pretty interesting stuff, but I'd like the control layout to be a little more traditional. Looks for ideas/advice/experience....

I am eventually going to add a Strat middle
Pickup to my S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow. Not sure if I am going to try the routing or have a professional handle it. Still have to figure out switching. Might just wire it direct to the output Jack with an on/off switch. Or could have a blend pot on it.

I've heard some people really like having middle pickups on a pot to blend in.... I think some of the older Ibanez Talman models used this feature. I have no idea which types of wiring/switches would be best.... all I know is that I would like to have Strat #2 & #4 quacky type of sounds available in more guitars....

Look into freeway switches for an easy traditionalish way to get on that road.

I'm using them on several guitars for some pretty creative wiring, especially ones mixed in with push pulls and a HSH setup.

Look into freeway switches for an easy traditionalish way to get on that road.

I'm using them on several guitars for some pretty creative wiring, especially ones mixed in with push pulls and a HSH setup.
Exactly what I was thinking about. Those freeway switches seem to open up a lot of options…. Without opening up the top of the guitar.

It’s really more of a “what combos of pickups do you really want?” thing.

Fwiw I built a hsh guitar with a 5 way switch, master tone, master volume, and 3 toggle switches. Two of the toggles are 3-way. One for each humbucker. Like the 509 meets a 513, it gives me series/split/parallel. Then the other toggle determines if position 3 is the middle single coil or the bridge+neck.

Lots of options. Most probably aren’t needed. But I did it anyway haha.

It’s really more of a “what combos of pickups do you really want?” thing.

Fwiw I built a hsh guitar with a 5 way switch, master tone, master volume, and 3 toggle switches. Two of the toggles are 3-way. One for each humbucker. Like the 509 meets a 513, it gives me series/split/parallel. Then the other toggle determines if position 3 is the middle single coil or the bridge+neck.

Lots of options. Most probably aren’t needed. But I did it anyway haha.
@Matte82 you have any pics/details of this project? I’m back on this hsh kick… I guess I’m gonna have to scratch this itch…

I’ll try and get some pics. How comfortable are you with wiring? Because it’s fairly easy to explain. You’ll need to use a super switch, the two switches for the pickups, and a two pole on-on switch for the middle position. You just need a two pole super switch. It’s cheaper and smaller than the 4-pole version. But a regular 5-way switch won’t work.

You wires the pickups direct to the mini-toggles for series/split/parallel. Then send the output of those those to the same pole of the mega switch. One position 5 and link it to 4, the other to position 1 and link it to position 2.

For the middle pickup, run its output to lugs 2 and 4 of the second pole of the mega switch.

Now for the middle position switch. Tie the two center lugs together and run it over to position 3 of either pole of the super switch.

Now run the middle pickup over to one side of the middle position switch. And run the output from the humbuckers to their own lug on the opposite side of this switch.

Then tie the outputs of the super switch together and run them to a master tone and volume and then to the output.

Anyone seen/know of anything like this? I'm really intrigued by the notion to get a CE24 semi-hollow, and add a middle pickup for a wider variety of "quacky/in-between" sounds. The 509 switching 5 way plus 2 mini toggles, seems like it would adapt itself to a project like this very well. I started down this path because I like the idea of incorporating the older settings from the CU24 rotary into these newer guitars.

• Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone

I've watched the videos where the guy turned his CE24 into a pseudo-Eagle. Pretty interesting stuff, but I'd like the control layout to be a little more traditional. Looks for ideas/advice/experience....
Boy that's a lot of switches! More than I'd want to see.

I'd love to be able to find a 3 way switch for a two humbucker guitar that would give me the two screw coils in series (the middle setting of the 5 position rotary switch) instead of just combining the two humbuckers like they would be on a Les Paul.

That's such a great sound.

To achieve it, one humbucker has to have the magnet reversed. That let's you create a humbucker by running the two screw coils in series.

However, the two humbuckers don't sound good when combined because they're out of phase!

Last edited:
Back