Modders, why so much change?

No idea. Every time I try to count them, I fall asleep.

That’s called ‘The Shepherd’s Somnolent Spell’.

As soon as you fall asleep, the shepherds dance around naked with the sheep, and none are the wiser. It’s a big secret.

“There’s no “Shepherd’s Somnolent Spell’.

“Oh the spell’s real, all right. It’s very similar to the leprechaun spell that enables trees to fall in the forest with no one around to see them fall.”

“Who told you that nonsense?”

“Pinocchio.”

What the hell else plays like a PRS? So start there and go on...even if you want something other than a traditional PRS sound.

I do somehow seem to like these though........ ;)

48393037_10212183943384713_7918509634585886720_n.jpg

OP great post would make a good pole question. I would bet 60/40 mod to leave stock. I'm a modder, guitars, cars most anything. Haven't quite figured out what to do with my toaster yet.

OP great post would make a good pole question. I would bet 60/40 mod to leave stock. I'm a modder, guitars, cars most anything. Haven't quite figured out what to do with my toaster yet.
I'd be willing to bet there is more than that. That was kind of why I posted it. There are the obvious people that mod to the point that the only thing original on the guitar is the wood in the body. But even if it is just Strap Locks, or Tuning buttons, or blocking a trem, or pup swaps. Almost nobody seems to leave a guitar completely stock. For me, the stock build is what I am after. It is actually difficult for me to buy sometimes because I tend to pass on guitars that have been modded, and because my finances typically dictate that I purchased used instruments, it can be hard to find stock guitars.

I'd be willing to bet there is more than that. That was kind of why I posted it. There are the obvious people that mod to the point that the only thing original on the guitar is the wood in the body. But even if it is just Strap Locks, or Tuning buttons, or blocking a trem, or pup swaps. Almost nobody seems to leave a guitar completely stock. For me, the stock build is what I am after. It is actually difficult for me to buy sometimes because I tend to pass on guitars that have been modded, and because my finances typically dictate that I purchased used instruments, it can be hard to find stock guitars.

I don’t think you should be cheating on your girl from Ipanema!;)

I never modded any of my guitar (I modded cars/amps/pedals) - eventually I just spend enough time to test, try-hard and take enough patience to finally buy what I was initially looking for and what I want/need. I am not a tone junky either - I had my ONE amp setup for 30 years, with ONE pedal on the floor (and a wahwah occasionally). Anyway I can get every sound out of just the guitar, the 2 channels of my (then) amp and the volume knob. From clean to ultra driven, all is possible, especially if you jusat want to do your thing ;)

I was recently looking to re-buy a late 80's Blade R4 Strat, this was my only Strat ever and i just loved it - yeah it was victim as well when i got my PRS and has been sold. So i found one (they get rather rare) and contacted the seller, a pro shop. He told me endless highs and prayers on the Blade, its hell of a sound etc, then going to details - original Blade SSC-1 pickups had been dropped, VSC circuit works with the rails anyway but not like it did with the original ones, dropped the almost perfect Blade Falcon Trem and Sperzel for a PRS Trem and Clovers, replaced potis and other ''small'' parts. They even dropped the beautiful Sepia Mirror Blade Pickguard for a crappy plastic one. Well finally all left is just another nicely built Strat clone like 1000 others, but lacking all charm and magic that made the difference between a Blade R4 and another Strat style guitars of those years - except the ergonomics used by Blade for a more playing comfort, tapered neck joint, truss rod adjustement, adjustable tension guide, spring steel roller saddle ....

Well, I told him I don't need a personalized nice player but want an original R4, because I simply loved that guitar for what it is ;)

For me, it's more of a case where I like *almost* everything about a guitar, but it isn't perfect. I'm super picky about the feel of a guitar, so when I find one that just feels right, I usually jump on it. For example, my '03 CE24 has an awesome worn-in feel, but I wasn't a big fan of the stock pickups in it. I've been using some SD pickups for a while and had been mostly happy with them, until I got my 2015 SC245. That guitar took it to a new level with the 58/15 pickups. So much so that I'm about to put a set of 85/15s in my CE.
Update** Put in the 85/15s. Awesomeness confirmed!

85/15 are Ace!!!

Danktat, have you thought about the irony of your job being a modder of the human form?

;)

85/15 are Ace!!!

Danktat, have you thought about the irony of your job being a modder of the human form?

;)
That I am in the body modification industry is not lost on me. Though I look at it more like the body is a canvas for my artwork. Not so much "changing" the body. :D

That I am in the body modification industry is not lost on me. Though I look at it more like the body is a canvas for my artwork. Not so much "changing" the body. :D
Can you make me look 35 again? Better bring your A game. I have freckles.

Can you make me look 35 again? Better bring your A game. I have freckles.
Lol.....I look at my job as a tattoo artist more like being a house painter. Kind of like if you are tired of the egg shell white that the house came with, so you go with a two tone color scheme in the bedroom, Green room relaxation tones in the bathroom, Spice up the living room with a splash of color, etc...........

Body modders are more like light construction workers. The bedroom is too small so you knock out a wall, move it over a couple of feet into the next room, turn the now smaller room into a mini office, gut the kitchen and relocate the plumbing so that you can give it a more modern feel on the counters and cabinets.....etc......

I just draw pretty pictures on people. People who practice body modification (scarification, tongue splitting, implanting horns or do pearling, etc......) try to change the structure of the body itself. Not just decorate it.

For me it was a choice between 1 core custom 24 or 3 se’s with money left over to bring the quality to an even higher standard. take a $1000 instrument and add $500 worth of upgrades (pickups, trem blocks, gold plated saddles, lamp shade knobs, push pull pots, core nut, locking tuners) and it really takes them to another level. Might not be American made core intstruments but they are amazing and it met my needs. I was screwing around with an old epiphone SG and a dean ML I’ve had for years that hardly stay in turn and broke strings every time I played them. Now I have 3 stage ready instruments that will play/stay in tune and look/sound outstanding to boot.

However I have to say that when the day comes that I get a core instrument (dear Santa a dgt in emerald would be super) I doubt that I would change a single thing.

I don't mod guitars. I have forum TRCs, but they're sitting in a box full of PRS collectables. I even use Grolsh style strap locks so I don't have to change the strap buttons. I change string brand in some cases.That's about it.

I mod, or upgrade instruments for three reasons: 1. To make it play and sound better. 2. To replace sub-standard parts, to ensure their “ road worthiness “, and durability. 3. Asthestics. If they don’t need any of the above, I don’t do anything to it! Most of my core models are stock. I got an S2 Custom 22 Semi hollow, that was a bit anemic, so I swapped the bridge out for a prs core, Put in all core electronics, and a real set of 85/15’s and wow..what an amazing sounding guitar it is, now. I use my guitars..I still play out, and I do studio work, so my “tools” have to be in top notch shape, or they’re worthless to me. I have a first year McCarty that’s all dinged up, a little on the heavy side, but is bone stock. That guitar is my 59’ LP. It sounds amazing, and plays like a dream..same with the green Studio that is my go to “S” style...no mods. So, mod it if needs it, otherwise, leave it alone.

Don't mod too much lately. I have a Fender Blacktop Strat the only things that are original are the body,neck and input jack and i still cant bond with it. Mostly it was just putting new pickups in Epiphones.

I keep thinking if there is really anything on a core PRS that I would feel the need to modify.

All I could really think of is taking a rotary system [on the older CU series instruments...since that is kind of the feel I like] and replacing it with the toggle and coil tap set up. After having both, the toggle is just easier for me to use. Especially if it were live. But, there are so many with that switching system already that I'd probably just buy one of those. . . UNLESS I just stumbled across one of those ridiculous deals on one that had the rotary that I couldn't pass up. Then I might consider the change of switching system. But I'd probably just be lazy and work around it......lol

EDIT: If it were something like a Paul's guitar, or a DGT, I don't think I would do anything to the switching system as I would consider that system a part of why someone would buy that particular model to begin with.

Last edited:
EDIT: If it were something like a Paul's guitar, or a DGT, I don't think I would do anything to the switching system as I would consider that system a part of why someone would buy that particular model to begin with.

I’d mod the sh!t outta either of those guitars to make them what I want. Unless it’s a guitar of some historical importance, I’ll do what pleases me, and even then, who knows?

I’d really enjoy having a second volume knob occasionally, and I’m in love with the aesthetics and switch placement of a Paul’s guitar. If and when I find a used 24 fret Paul’s guitar... I’d most certainly carve out the little 408 pickups and put a mixed set of 59/09 and 57/08 in there.

I’d mod the sh!t outta either of those guitars to make them what I want. Unless it’s a guitar of some historical importance, I’ll do what pleases me, and even then, who knows?

I’d really enjoy having a second volume knob occasionally, and I’m in love with the aesthetics and switch placement of a Paul’s guitar. If and when I find a used 24 fret Paul’s guitar... I’d most certainly carve out the little 408 pickups and put a mixed set of 59/09 and 57/08 in there.

I'll bring the tequila!

Back