MODCAT Decoders

Looking at getting a nice singlecut, but the MODCAT's style ("N7...") isn't recognized by the decoder, although everything else is there and fits with the seller's descritption. Any ideas?

MODCAT: N7M2FAHFBPS_BM_G7-77
20200711-074858.jpg

Looking at the decoder, it seems that N may be used to indicate a model designated to come in a satin finish.

Which model is this? Does it have a satin finish? Can you post a pic of the guitar?

Thanks for this thread! Just found out about PRS 'MODCAT' numbers and noticed its similar to a sticker I found at the bottom of the box of my new 2020 S2 594. Luckily I saved it :)

The code is: M9M2F2HVIB2 and then underneath is /MS and /TA5

Which looks like it checks out with the specs of the guitar. Im glad PRS has a system like this.

So my modcat sticker is as follows:

48M2FNHFN63_B-B4
/VI /N

Do I need to enter the VI and the N somehow? The site gives me this if I just enter the top line:

Model: 408 Maple/Std Model
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Could not find Top Grade 'N'
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: Honduran Rosewood
Inlay: Could not find Inlay '6'
Bridge: Could not find Bridge '3'
Color: Faded Blue Burst
Hardware: Could not find Hardware '4'
Treble Pickup: Could not find Treble Pickup '_'
Middle Pickup: Could not find Middle Pickup 'V'
Bass Pickup: Tremonti
Electronics: Could not find Electronics '_'

Just FYI, if I use this site https://dchandlerp.github.io/ModCatDecoder/ I get a little more detail (the inlay and bridge) so you might be able to use that to update your version:

Top Spec: Figured
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide Fat)
Inlay: 2014+ Birds
Bridge: Gen III Tremolo
Color: Faded Blue Burst
Hardware: Could not find Hardware '4'
Treble Pickup: Could not find Treble Pickup 'V'
Middle Pickup: Could not find Middle Pickup 'I'
Bass Pickup: Santana
Electronics: Could not find Electronics ''

EDIT: OK, I see, the VI is Violet (that's correct), and the /N is nickel hardware

EDIT2: Ok, I had to reverse engineer it a bit based on the github repo of the other decoder. My actual modcat (or at least what that site wants) is this: 48m2fnhfn63_vi_nb-b4 which gives me:

Top Spec: Figured
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide Fat)
Inlay: 2014+ Birds
Bridge: Gen III Tremolo
Color: Violet
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 408 or Paul's Guitar
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 408 or Paul's Guitar
Electronics: 408

Which is correct (though I'm not sure about the neck carve being wide/fat). The only weird thing is the Top Grade. That 'N' in the modcat doesn't seem to mean anything, and it looks like that should be a '-' as my top is just a regular top. Dunno, but if you want to update your decoder you can grab some of the things you're missing from here: https://github.com/DChandlerP/ModCatDecoder/blob/master/MODCAT_data.js

Last edited:
Just looked-up/verified the MODCAT on of my newer guitars--I'm here to provide a little feedback for the MODCAT decoder(s) programmers, if it is at all helpful here:

Color code: "VT"
Neither the toragraphics nor dchandlerp decoders could find my color code, "VT." After some searching to correlate what the dealer said, plus other similar-looking guitars produced the same year, I would believe the correct color name to be "Vintage Sunburst."

Pickup codes: "6-6"
It's a 2-humbucker guitar (neck & bridge) so the "# - #" code looks right, but the toragraphics decoder is a bit off, saying the pickups are "PRS 6." The dchandlerp decoder gets it more correct, saying they are "58/15 or PRS 6." (They are indeed etched 58/15 TM on their covers.)

Hope this helps..!

I tried this decoder from page 1, and also the one linked above on my 2018 509, and both got some stuff, but missed a lot. It's FNM2FTHSI63_2329 /ED /N.

Great work on this! Been wondering about my CU24 for some time, and a forum member just tipped me off about this thread. Worked perfectly for me 1st try! Thank you

Why do some models have 9 digit modcats? For example: GEN-T42-SN3
I don't know that code, but is it possibly from an SE guitar? I wouldn't be surprised if the MODCAT's overall only apply to "core" US-made models, and/or only those made in the Stevensville, MD factory. Just a thought...

Like on this tag. Under the barcode where the MODCAT usually is.

In today's PRS world, Wood Library guitars don't have standard MODCAT codes. Not sure when WL started. However, I'd bet this was a special build for Summer NAMM in Nashville. I'm guessing that because of the "Nashville 2004" at the bottom. That is something unique.

Back