MODCAT Decoders

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but my 2009 Mira X throws the decoder for a loop.
Under the bar code on the right is Item XMO2 SXPDS_VC_N4_43

Best I can figure using the existing coding would be
XM - Mira X
O - Obeche body wood
2 - 22 fret
S - Sipo neck
X - ? neck carve - it's wide fat, but was there a special coding for the X series?
P - pau ferro fingerboard

The rest is standard MODCAT

D - dots
S - straight tailpiece
VC - vintage cherry
N - nickel
4 - Mira
4 - Mira
3 - 3 way switch

Any idea how I would enter this into the decoder so it comes out correct? Obviously it doesn't have 20 positions. Tried it a couple of different ways, and it didn't seem to work. Am sure it is operator error on my part.

Also, there appears to be another code to the left that begins with W/O followed by 6 digits (not the s/n which is on a separate sticker). What is this code?

You should enter it as "XMO2__SXPDS_VC_N4_43", with 2 "_" (underscore) instead of one " " (space) between "XMO2" and "XPDS_VC_N4_43".

Nevertheless, the decoder does not know about Mira X, Obeche, Sipo, Pau Ferro and the X neck carve of this guitar.

By the way, the 2009 PRS catalog says the Mira X has a basswood body, and the 2010 PRS catalog says it has a obeche body. The neck carve is wide/fat for both years. Pau ferro fingerboards were used in 2009 only, in 2010 it changed to standard rosewood.

You should enter it as "XMO2__SXPDS_VC_N4_43", with 2 "_" (underscore) instead of one " " (space) between "XMO2" and "XPDS_VC_N4_43".

Nevertheless, the decoder does not know about Mira X, Obeche, Sipo, Pau Ferro and the X neck carve of this guitar.

By the way, the 2009 PRS catalog says the Mira X has a basswood body, and the 2010 PRS catalog says it has a obeche body. The neck carve is wide/fat for both years. Pau ferro fingerboards were used in 2009 only, in 2010 it changed to standard rosewood.

Thank you. Don't have either catalog. Was going off the Signature magazine (Vol 1, No. 2) which indicates the body wood was obeche. But that appears to have printed in later 2009 as it also has the Starla X. Then I checked the 2009 and 2010 price lists (from Jedistar.com) and that confirms you are correct. Was also using the Music Radar review of the Mira X http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-mira-x-216055 which has PRS himself indicating it was obeche instead of African basswood as a reference. (Review was published August 10, 2009.)

It does make me wonder if the "X" on each was supposed to be a separate line of instruments, much like the S2 series became. Hence the X in front of the model designation and for the neck carve instead of the standard wide fat.

Oh, and in trying it again with your method, everything does come up correct except for model, neck carve, and fingerboard wood.

The decoder, as best as I can tell, is missing Model Number: 45 This is a Ted McCarty SC245 Limited Edition. Made in 2010 only?

It reads N for nickel hardware as N for Santana bass pickup.

guitaroutline.jpg

PRS MODCAT DECODER
Enter MODCAT:

Model: SC 58 or Stripped 58
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: MOP/Paua Heart Birds (ME 2)
Bridge: 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Sunset Burst
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Electronics: Singlecut

Cool, I never had a Sunset Burst

Cool, I never had a Sunset Burst

Now you have one! :D

You typed the letters "SE" as color code and received "Sunset Burst".

The MODCAT decoder lives from what the PRS owners report here. If your PRS has a color other than Sunset Burst, please be so kind and share your knowledge to make the MODCAT decoder a better tool. Specially for colors, a pic of your guitar may help, too.

I don't know if you are still inputting codes but the model identifier "DC" also codes for ted mccarty DC 245. Although it's a 2015 so it might have just been a 2015 thing. I only know of two 2015 DC 245. If there are more, I suspect it was a really limited run.

Hi, my 1997 Custom 22 has this code:

CU2SBCC15WFVY

I know that "CU2" means "Custom 22", and in the end "WFVY" is "wide fat vintage yellow", but could you help me what "SBCC15" means?

I wrote to PRS but they didn't know what it means...

CU2SBCC15WFVY

I know that "CU2" means "Custom 22", and in the end "WFVY" is "wide fat vintage yellow", but could you help me what "SBCC15" means?

A picture would help, and you sure you typed that code correctly? Must be an early format.

It's from 1997

What's the body wood? neck wood? maple top? regular/tentop? Birds/Dots? one of the B-s could be Birds. Trem/Stoptail/Floyd? rosewood fingerboard? 5-way rotary?
Picture?

Body mahogany, neck mahogany, fretboard rosewood, birds, stoptail, rotary...

https://i.cubeupload.com/wRrduh.jpg
Nice one!
CU2SBCC15WFVY is a format I'm not familiar with. Would have said that it's a one-off modcat, but looking at it looks pretty standard... so maybe just an early modcat format.
looks like it could be Brazilian on the fingerboard... another B, but you already have B for birds.
Is the 1 an I? for Indian Rosewood maybe? But it looks very Brazilian.
I'm stumped on the 'CC'. Custom Color? which VY wouldn't be.

This is what I would have guessed for the modcat (assuming HFS/VB pups) and the current format...
C U M 2 F _ H F B B S _ V Y _ N H - V 5
or with a T after the first F in case of Ten Top

Model: CU --> Custom 22/24
Top Wood: M --> Maple
Frets: 2 --> 22
Top Spec: F --> Figured
Top Grade: _ --> Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: H --> Mahogany
Neck Carve: F --> Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: B --> Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay: B --> Original Solid Birds (pre-2008)
Bridge: S --> Straight Stoptail
Color: VY --> Vintage Yellow
Hardware: N --> Nickel
Treble Pickup: H --> HFS Treble
Middle Pickup: -
Bass Pickup: V --> Vintage Bass
Electronics: 5 --> 5-Way Rotary

I guess it has Brazilian Rosewood too, but the pickups are Dragon I bass and treble...

Thanks for your help!

CU2SBCC15WFVY

1997 pre-dates the MODCAT system. PRS may be able give you more info based on the serial number. I don't remember seeing any codes quite like that one, so I only get to the same conclusion as you did.

Doubtful that the board is Brazilian. If you start a new thread and share some pics, I'm sure we can help fill in any blanks.

Back