MODCAT Decoders

Dunno.

Look at post #1 in this thread. Look at the PDFs chart displayed for the number and order of characters.

Your welcome. Omar does a lot of 1-off's, and I have quite a few. The letters after "GEN" are remarks. They might refer to the model or not. In this case, it looks like the guitar is a Custom 22. I have no idea what SN3 refers to. Three pick ups, perhaps?

Your welcome. Omar does a lot of 1-off's, and I have quite a few. The letters after "GEN" are remarks. They might refer to the model or not. In this case, it looks like the guitar is a Custom 22. I have no idea what SN3 refers to. Three pick ups, perhaps?
It has 2 humbuckers, dragon I bridge and McCarty with coil tap.

And yes it's a custom 22, I'm curious as to what the finish is. I emailed serial to PRS and they said its from the artist stock warehouse. Didn't give any info on finish.

Hi, just to add my Custom 24 info. Instead of CU the code starts CM. I think it was a special run from 2010 with 10 top headstock. Everything else works fine.

Model: Could not find Model 'CM'
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern/Thin (Wide/Thin)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Burnt Almond
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: HFS Treble
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: Vintage Bass
Electronics: 3-Way Toggle or Blade

Hey rugerpc,
got something for you here ;)
It includes all posts since you updated the JS the last time (except the last post by Scott C). So you can just copy/paste it onto the server and it should work (don't forget to change the link to the forum :D).

Additionally to the update, I've removed the wood from the top spec ("Figured Maple" --> "Figured") as the top wood has got its own digits.
Fingerboard code "D" is "Unknown Rosewood" for now and color code "XR" is "Special Run" (there's "CC" for "Custom Color" BTW), as both doesn't seem 100% clear.

There are some small "problems" however:
- 2014 and 2016-spec guitars are using inlay code "6", so I've added "Birds (2014+)" although 2015-spec guitars were using code "7" for "30th Anniv. Birds" (See my Avatar as an example of a 2016 Screech Owl. It's kinda outlined MOP, but they go as "Birds" on the PRS website.)
- 85/15 use the same code as 250 pickups ("5"), so it's "85/15 or 250" now. A MODCAT using 58/15 would be interesting...

I hope I didn't miss anything!

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: TFC
A bit more info on the CM code on mine from PRS support:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for writing to Paul Reed Smith Guitars. It appears you have a Custom 24 in Burnt Almond, the CM would indicate a Custom with a Maple headstock veneer. I believe there were 50 produced worldwide.

Thank you for your continued support of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful.

Shawn Nuthall

Manager, Customer Service dept

Paul Reed Smith Guitars

380 Log Canoe Circle

Stevensville, MD 21666

410-643-9970

Here are some data points that can help fill some gaps in the next update.

M5M2FTHVIB2_VI_N1-1K

Model:Could not find Model 'M5' - McCarty 594
Top Wood:Maple
Frets:22
Top Spec:Figured Maple
Top Grade:Ten Top
Neck Wood:Mahogany
Neck Carve:Could not find Neck Carve 'V' - Pattern Vintage
Fingerboard Wood:East Indian Rosewood
Inlay:Original Solid Birds (pre-2008)
Bridge:2-Piece Bridge
Color:Could not find Color 'VI' - Violet
Hardware:Nickel
Treble Pickup:Could not find Treble Pickup '1' - 58/15 LT
Middle Pickup:none
Bass Pickup:Could not find Bass Pickup '1' - 58/15 LT
Electronics:Could not find Electronics 'K' - I guess this will be known as 594 wiring. Classic "G" style 4-knob.

Here's the MODCAT for the first production 509 that I have seen, FNM2F-HSI63_CB_N2329. It a charcoal grey over at Sweetwater.

Model:

Could not find Model 'FN' (509)
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Could not find Inlay '6' (It looks like Birds with outlines)
Bridge: Could not find Bridge '3' (Phase III Trem)
Color: Charcoal Burst
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: Could not find Treble Pickup '2' 509 Humbucker
Middle Pickup: Could not find Middle Pickup '3' 509 Singlecoil
Bass Pickup: Could not find Bass Pickup '2' 509 Humbucker
Electronics: Could not find Electronics '9' 509 electronics

Back