MODCAT Decoders

I have gotten the code for the online MODCAT Decoder to run on my local machine. I need to update the data, so I'll give it a day or two for people to give you feedback. Then I'll take all the data and add it to the site.

Unfortunately, I don't have a place to host the webpage. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll search around for something free, even if it's temporary, just so it can be made public and we can test it out.

I may have a place to host it. PM me your outside email and we'll try to get it up and running.

Note that there are duplicates which would produce multiple branching in the data.

My 2012 Experience has an ebony fingerboard with a MODCAT code of "K". Your chart lists "K" as Katalox. Is that a specific type of ebony or is this another reuse of a code?

[rugerpc/Jamie: should this post be added to the OP?]

I have posted my first beta version of the online MODCAT Decoder here: http://www.prsmodcat.co.nf/

I just picked a free hosting site at random, so this link will probably not be its permanent home. Feel free to share it, but be aware that the link may change in the future. Once the application seems to be complete and stable, I will look for a permanent home for it.

Please give it a try, and most importantly, provide feedback in this thread so we can improve it. I figure that if we keep all feedback about the MODCAT codes in the same thread, it will be easier to track them. So, if you run into any problems at all, please post here to let us know. If you enter a MODCAT and it does not spit back the correct information, please post here and include the exact MODCAT you entered, what was incorrect about the Decoder's response, and some info about your guitar (year, specs, etc.).

I put this together quickly yesterday, so it isn't much to look at, but it should work for most MODCATs. It is a work in progress. In order to make it as good as it can be, we'll need your feedback, so don't be shy. I am no expert when it comes to PRS MODCAT codes or model history, so we are relying on your knowledge when it comes to that sort of thing. I will update and fix the Decoder as time permits.

Some caveats:
1) I have assumed the all MODCATS have 20 characters. If you enter a MODCAT with <> 20 characters (blank spaces are ignored), the decoder will not work properly. If you know of a MODCAT that is not 20 characters, post the MODCAT and specs here and I will do what I can to work the alternative MODCAT format into the Decoder.

2) I have not yet entered all of the color codes, but have entered everything else listed in ruger's OP. All this data will be updated as we receive feedback about missing codes, typos, etc.

Any questions, comments or suggestions, please post here. And thanks again to rugerpc for all the hard work in gathering this MODCAT info.

I have a photo of the MODCAT for a Swamp Ash Special I used to own. I believe it was a 2007. The code for the middle pickup is "R", which is not listed. I believe it came with a "Vintage Rail" pickup. Can anyone confirm that?

Typo: my treble pickup came up as '58/08 covered' (on my HBII modcat which is the only one I've got to hand at the moment) - all the other details look spot on. Will try a couple more obscure ones later...

Typo: my treble pickup came up as '58/08 covered' (on my HBII modcat which is the only one I've got to hand at the moment) - all the other details look spot on. Will try a couple more obscure ones later...

"K" for a treble pup is 57/08 covered on the 2013 data list. It is quite possible that "K" meant something else previously. What year is your HBII and is the pup an archtop pup or what??

Last edited:
This is great!!!

Few comments: plugged in my Siggy, SL as the model code comes up as "408" instead if "Signature Limited" which is obviously almost correct. On same one electronics came up as "Swamp Ash" instead of 408.

FWIW here's the MODCAT I was testing with: SLM2FAHFIET_FR_HB-BS

This is great!!!

Few comments: plugged in my Siggy, SL as the model code comes up as "408" instead if "Signature Limited" which is obviously almost correct. On same one electronics came up as "Swamp Ash" instead of 408.

FWIW here's the MODCAT I was testing with: SLM2FAHFIET_FR_HB-BS

I'm probably gonna make SL stand for Signature Limited instead of 408, even though it is listed as 408 on the 2013 data sheet.

And it looks like PRS recycled the electronics code S from swamp ash (discontinued) to 'signature limited', so both will need to be in the modcat.

"K" for a treble pup is 58/08 covered on the 2013 data list. It is quite possible that "K" meant something else previously. What year is your HBII and is the pup an archtop pup or what??

And what is a "58/08" pickup exactly? (It's a 2012, that's not relevant to the error though methinks!)

Yes, indeed that's why I identified it as a typo. :)

My HBII does have 57/08s.

Have sent a few other notes through directly to TFC so you'll be getting a handful of other fixes by proxy!

Keep up the good work!

edit - scratch what I had here before - I found my typo and fixed it...

Paging TFC.... change 58/08 to 57/08.

Last edited:
OP updated. If you see a code for color "TBN", you are looking at old data in your own computer cache. Hit the reload button.

All changes/fixes that have been mentioned in this thread or sent to me via PM have been implemented. All colors are now included in the online MODCAT Decoder. So, as far as I know, everything should work. That said, if you find anything that doesn't seem right or your MODCAT contains a code that is missing, please post some info in this thread so that we can fix it.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have gotten the code for the online MODCAT Decoder to run on my local machine. I need to update the data, so I'll give it a day or two for people to give you feedback. Then I'll take all the data and add it to the site.

Unfortunately, I don't have a place to host the webpage. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll search around for something free, even if it's temporary, just so it can be made public and we can test it out.

I should be able to host the webpage. Send the files to my email.

The Modcat posted is missing the Artist V. It's also missing Black Gold (though it has Black Gold Burst, they are different). Here is the info for the Artist V I have:

CAM2FAHSEPT_BG_GA-AV

The Modcat posted is missing the Artist V, and the Artist V pickups. It's also missing Black Gold (though the modcat has Black Gold Burst, they are different).

Hopefully this info might help: the modcat for mine is:

CAM2FAHSEPT_BG_GA-AV

All features on mine are standard for the model. My finish is Black Gold.

Thank you, Les! I've made the updates to the Decoder.

Back