Mixing PRS pickups? Good? Bad? Stoopid?

59/09 bridge works great with RW necks. I’ve tried 57/08 bridge with RW neck and it was a bit boomy/muddy. In a C24 I found 59/09s to be a bit too shrill though.

Your shrill comment is odd to me but to be fair I've realized that you need to consider the amp w h en describing PUs.

I stI'll play a 1994 5150 head and that amp tends to be bright so much so that HFS PUs sound brittle and harsh. I can't get that PU to soften up on my amp unless it's detuned to D or lower. I've played an HFS on other amps and was pleasantly surprised.

You are correct though, 5909 on my amp does get brighter with the volume rolled down but I can't say shrill or harsh.

What kind of amp are you using?

59/09 bridge works great with RW necks. I’ve tried 57/08 bridge with RW neck and it was a bit boomy/muddy. In a C24 I found 59/09s to be a bit too shrill though.

That was exactly my impression with the stock 57/08s in my RW McCarty. My tech loved it but the boominness took away from the tone in my opinion. When I put the LTs in that guitar, the boominess magically disappeared... if I get some 59/09s they may have to go in that guitar as an experiment. I also wonder how these pickups would sound in a Korina guitar (sorta Standard sounding).

Your shrill comment is odd to me but to be fair I've realized that you need to consider the amp w h en describing PUs.

I stI'll play a 1994 5150 head and that amp tends to be bright so much so that HFS PUs sound brittle and harsh. I can't get that PU to soften up on my amp unless it's detuned to D or lower. I've played an HFS on other amps and was pleasantly surprised.

You are correct though, 5909 on my amp does get brighter with the volume rolled down but I can't say shrill or harsh.

What kind of amp are you using?
That was several amps ago. Amp was likely my H&K switchblade which tended to be bright (57/08s wer perfect fit for it). I use a Kemper now. My C24 was an EXP LTD with an ebony board. I traded that guitar in for Miss Pernie (P22), no regrets there!

I have 59/09s in my SCT ME I and my PS P245T build, both all Braz necks and boards and those pickups are phenomenal with those guitars. My Pernie has 57/08s with SA hog body, Pernie neck and ebony board, perfect fit.

Oddly, I’ve tried regular 58/15s 3 times now and haven’t liked them. The LT version works great in my DC594. 53/10s work well with my Koa body/Braz neck C22, but I suspect that’s a bright guitar to begin with. Also had them on my Bahama Mama MKII SCT guitar with Obeche body and maple neck, good fit in that as well. Wish I hadn’t traded that one in!

not following this part...

Yeah, my DC3 neck has a dry satin finish as opposed to the unicorn lubrication (snot, lotion, excretion, etc) that’s on the lacquered necks...

I’m not knocking it. Some people love that kind of ‘feeling’.

o_O

Yeah, my DC3 neck has a dry satin finish as opposed to the unicorn lubrication (snot, lotion, excretion, etc) that’s on the lacquered necks...

I’m not knocking it. Some people love that kind of ‘feeling’.

o_O
Oh, ok. The “dry” threw me. I love the neck feel on my NF3, probably best of anything I’ve ever played. I wasn’t aware of the Unilube on the others. Perhaps that splains it though.

Oh, ok. The “dry” threw me. I love the neck feel on my NF3, probably best of anything I’ve ever played. I wasn’t aware of the Unilube on the others. Perhaps that splains it though.

Yeah man... there’s something magical about that dry satin PRS finish. It feels like there no finish at all on the neck but there is. My DC3 has it, my SAS NF’s had it, and my Custom 24 has it. My Korina McCarty is my only remaining PRS that still has a lacquered neck (and I would take sand paper to it in a heartbeat if I wasn’t such a wuss).

The first thing I noticed about the Silver Sky was the thick lacquer on the neck. It was thicker than the lacquer on my old fendr. Just felt very greasy to me. At that point, it didn’t even matter how the guitar sounded. It could have played Texas Flood by itself without hands and I would have been like ‘Eh...Nope’.

Yeah man... there’s something magical about that dry satin PRS finish. It feels like there no finish at all on the neck but there is. My DC3 has it, my SAS NF’s had it, and my Custom 24 has it. My Korina McCarty is my only remaining PRS that still has a lacquered neck (and I would take sand paper to it in a heartbeat if I wasn’t such a wuss).

The first thing I noticed about the Silver Sky was the thick lacquer on the neck. It was thicker than the lacquer on my old fendr. Just felt very greasy to me. At that point, it didn’t even matter how the guitar sounded. It could have played Texas Flood by itself without hands and I would have been like ‘Eh...Nope’.
My RL Vela has that same ultra thin satin finish that’s like no finish at all. Stunning! No grain filler either so you can feel the mahogany neck unlike any other guitar I own. Just wow! Totally agree with your sentiment. To me, though, it’s an exception to the rule and don’t hold my other guitars to that standard. I’m enough of a guitar snob as it is without getting crazy. :oops:

Same here. I don't mind it until I'm gigging outside then it's a huge problem.

My cu24 is a forever guitar and I think I'm going to sandpaper the neck on it. Is was nearly mint when I got it but it has a lot of battle scars on it now.

It has a large chip in the finish on the back of the neck right down to the wood that magically appeared one night. I've got a pretry good feeling how it got there too. Yet another reason why I quit my last band.

Yep, they nailed it on those necks. Just perfect.

And I’ve heard a couple others say that the finish feel of the neck was the deal breaker on the SS. I still haven’t gotten my hands on one.

My RL Vela has that same ultra thin satin finish that’s like no finish at all. Stunning! No grain filler either so you can feel the mahogany neck unlike any other guitar I own. Just wow! Totally agree with your sentiment. To me, though, it’s an exception to the rule and don’t hold my other guitars to that standard. I’m enough of a guitar snob as it is without getting crazy. :oops:

Yup, I hear you... but now I’m spoiled and shyt...so I try to get my other guitars to be like those dry satin necks. I even took sandpaper and oil to my fendr strats. Obviously I could not replicate the satin feel while maintaining the grain but I like them TONS better now that the lacquer is gone. Any PRS guitar that I acquire in the future simply must have the satin neck. I don’t know how they did it but I’m glad the magical elves and leprechauns at the factory figured it out.

All of that said, nothing is like the Brazilian rosewood neck on my McCarty. I took it out of its case last night to check the humidity pouches (its cased for the winter). I just love that guitar so much. Sometimes I forget how much I love it until I play it again after having played all of the other guitars. PRS changed my entire outlook on life with that guitar, lol.

Yep, they nailed it on those necks. Just perfect.

And I’ve heard a couple others say that the finish feel of the neck was the deal breaker on the SS. I still haven’t gotten my hands on one.

I’ve seen quite a few of those SS guitars show up in the wild recently. I’m guessing they should be getting much easier to find pretty soon. The factory must be finally catching up with all of the orders. It’s an awesome sounding guitar and the tones cover a lot of territory... the only concerns I’ve heard have been the shape of the neck (I kinda liked it but my favorite neck of all time is a medium thick C so I like thick vs thin; sorta like early 70s strat, not thin at all), the lacquer which seems to be extra thick for some reason, and the feel of the knobs.

It has a large chip in the finish on the back of the neck right down to the wood that magically appeared one night. I've got a pretry good feeling how it got there too. Yet another reason why I quit my last band.

That’s gotta suck. I just recently realized how much of a crap shot gigging really is. What if your band mate is an @sshole? What if a gig gets cancelled and you have to find another gig at the last minute but don’t know the band... and they are all @ssholes?

Oooh and just let one of them drop my guitar. It will be on like donkey kong.

I’ve seen quite a few of those SS guitars show up in the wild recently. I’m guessing they should be getting much easier to find pretty soon. The factory must be finally catching up with all of the orders. It’s an awesome sounding guitar and the tones cover a lot of territory... the only concerns I’ve heard have been the shape of the neck (I kinda liked it but my favorite neck of all time is a medium thick C so I like thick vs thin; sorta like early 70s strat, not thin at all), the lacquer which seems to be extra thick for some reason, and the feel of the knobs.
Yeah, one of our beloved brothers here liked the SS neck but not the finish. Said it felt “sticky” with his hands. I’m sure that before long there will be some guys taking scratchpads to the back of the necks if they otherwise love the guitar and don’t like that aspect.

Yeah, one of our beloved brothers here liked the SS neck but not the finish. Said it felt “sticky” with his hands. I’m sure that before long there will be some guys taking scratchpads to the back of the necks if they otherwise love the guitar and don’t like that aspect.

Sticky is an excellent way to describe it. For the guys that love the guitar otherwise, I hope the lacquer comes off. I just had a fight with my 1980 F guitar... lacquer wouldn’t budge. The SS lacquer looks similar.

That’s gotta suck. I just recently realized how much of a crap shot gigging really is. What if your band mate is an @sshole? What if a gig gets cancelled and you have to find another gig at the last minute but don’t know the band... and they are all @ssholes?

Oooh and just let one of them drop my guitar. It will be on like donkey kong.

Our singer was a 1st class ass bag, I called him out on his laziness multiple times which lead to butt hurt feelings and Jr High attitude.

It was either quit or go to jail for beating his ass.

If he put the chip in my neck, it's best I never find out.

I watched him push a wheeled drum case into my cu24 case which tore the tolex. I was pissed about that and I let him know it.

Back