Mixing PRS pickups? Good? Bad? Stoopid?

Casi1

Hey Guys,

I’m back to my modding mayhem!

Bwahahahaha

o_O

As usual, I have a question (and I know you guys have the answer). Have any of you tried using different combinations of PRS pickups in your guitar? If so, what are some of your best mixes?

I’ve got a set of 57/08s, a set of 58/15LT’s, a set of 85/15, and a set of 53/10s.

I’m thinking of putting an uncovered 53/10 in the neck and a covered 57/08 in the bridge on my McCarty. I’m looking for a warm sound... something useful but the total opposite (tone-wise) from my single coiled guitars.

Of my pickups, what do you suggest? Mix em, don’t mix em?

Thanks!

Mix em up!

I have an 85/15 neck matched with a \m/ bridge and love it!

I've thought about mixing my 53/10 neck with a 57/08 bridge. I think that would be a cool match up.

I bought the 53/10 that was matched with the \m/ bridge off Reverb from a member who said they were out of his PS guitar. That was quite a weird match-up for sure.

If it sounds good to you, it's the right thing to do. You won't be violating any of Paul's rules of tone, and we won't think any less of you. :D Do it!

Hell yeah mix that sh!t!

After you’re done with the 57/08 and 53/10 combo, go buy another guitar to put the spare 57/08 bass and 85/15 bridge in it. And when you’re done with that, another for the 53/10 bridge and 58/15lt neck. And after that..,,

Oooh! YEAH. I could... then I could... then... and...

Hey.

Wait a minute.

Hey man, don’t encourage me to buy more guitars... I already got a problem.

:oops:

Hey Guys,

I’m back to my modding mayhem!

Bwahahahaha

o_O

As usual, I have a question (and I know you guys have the answer). Have any of you tried using different combinations of PRS pickups in your guitar? If so, what are some of your best mixes?

I’ve got a set of 57/08s, a set of 58/15LT’s, a set of 85/15, and a set of 53/10s.

I’m thinking of putting an uncovered 53/10 in the neck and a covered 57/08 in the bridge on my McCarty. I’m looking for a warm sound... something useful but the total opposite (tone-wise) from my single coiled guitars.

Of my pickups, what do you suggest? Mix em, don’t mix em?

Thanks!

I mixed on my very first PRS ever! An old Artist II when they first came out. Dragon in bridge, Artist in neck. My next build will have 57 08 bridge and 58 15 LT neck!

I put a McCarty in the neck and an RP in the bridge of my Bernie. It was a nice mix. Do it!

I've got your answer.......buy a 5909 bridge and add a 8515 neck.......then and only then will you have a tone monster!!

I love 5310 bridge pickups so mating that with 5708 neck would be badassery at its finest.

Mix and match, like accessories. Hats, scarves, gloves, purses, shoes.*

I had a Ted DC 245 with a 57/08 neck and a 59/09 bridge. Perfect.

I have a HB-II with Archtop neck and 57/08 bridge. Perfect.

I've even put Gibson Classic 57s into a PRS SC-J. I shall not discuss it further, except to say that I later found a pair of 57/08s, and then was able to come out of Witness Protection.

=K

* The Wyf worked high-end retail for three decades so I know a lot more about this topic than most guys.

W V W

Wood vs Wire

I’m much more of a wood than a wire guy, cos that’s where the soul of a guitar lies.

But if wire is what gets you high, go ahead and don’t worry about why!

My previous attempts at mixing pups didn’t turn out so well. This time, the combo is going to go into the Korina McCarty. I kinda want to leave the LTs in my maple top McCarty and the 85s in the Custom 24. So that leaves me with the 57/08s, the 53/10s, and the original McCartys to play with...

Back