Mixing 59/09 and 57/08 in a PRS Custom 22

aquadalti

Hello,

I'm a lucky owner of a PRS Custom 22 2013 and I need a specific info about mixing pickups with 5-way blade.
The 57/08 in the bridge is too vintage for me, so I think to replace it with a 59/09 that is hotter.

If I mix:

PRS 59/09 for the treble

PRS 57/08 for the neck

Can I obtain a better result (playing hard rock and blues styles) than a pair of 59/09 pickups?

The cleans are better in the 2 and 4 positions of the switch? Is quack/funky better with a 59/09 in the neck?
Which is the best pickup for the neck to play solos?

I want to have the maximun versatility.

I'm trying to find info about this in Internet, but I can't find nothing!!! :-(

Thanks in advance

Alberto

Last edited:
57/08 is very bluesy, warm and vintage-sounding in the neck position; 59/09 is similar - a bit more modern, but still very very versatile. I have a Tremonti Custom SE ltd edition with EMG combo; I don't like them that much, and for replacing them I just bought a 59/09 treble second hand, and I was looking for a 59/09 bass or a 57/08 bass, too. Cannot find anyone for a cheap price, so I decided to go with a DiMarzio Paf 36th that I already own, great Q/P and a kind of "inbetween" of 57 and 59.
If you are looking for great clean tones, take a listen to this demo of the 59/09 set. Position 1, 2 and 4 are simply fantastic, IMHO. Pos. 5 sounds great too, but I would prefeer it for crunch and high-gain sounds. I don't like that much pos. 3, if I would buy a 5-way blade PRS, I think I would rewire it to set pos. 3 as neck parallel.
https://youtu.be/L3Hjh0u1vRI?t=1m28s

Last edited:
Back