Mix a PRS 2x12 and 1x12?

RcRogers

Howdy!

I have a PRS 1x12 cab and might snag a 2x12 cab. Since the 2x12 is 8 Ohms and the 1x12 is 16 Ohms, what impedance setting should I choose on my PRS 2 Channel Custom 50 with both cabs connected?

Thanks,
Rc

The total would be about 5 ohm load, so I think you can probably get away with the 4 ohm setting, since it's a very slight mismatch. But PRS customer service is awesome, so they can probably tell you better by far than I can!

The total would be about 5 ohm load, so I think you can probably get away with the 4 ohm setting, since it's a very slight mismatch. But PRS customer service is awesome, so they can probably tell you better by far than I can!

Thanks for the reply! I actually emailed PRS customer service and their reply just came through :) Here's what they had to say...

"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. If you run the 16ohm speaker with a 2x12 8ohm extension cabinet, you would want to set the impedance at 4ohms. The actual load impedance is around 5 1/3 ohms, which is no problem with an output impedance set at 4 (in theory, maximum power transfer is not achieved with any mismatch, but there will be no discernible loss of power). In general, with our transformers, a mismatch of up to 2x (for example: either 4ohm into 8 ohm, or 8ohm into 4 ohm, and so on) will not hurt the amplifier."

Not 100% sure I understand the last sentence, but it seems 4 ohms is what I want to select on the Custom 50.

Regarding mismatch ohmage of extension cabs

I have a 2 channel H combo w/ a 16 ohm 12" speaker. I had similar thought of trying it with a complimenting 2/12 extension cab totaling 3 speakers running. I emailed tech support for advice and they told me I should run one or the other, not both. Feeling confused now reading this thread(maybe the tech was talking if ohms was the same for both cabs then can only run one or the other). Are you all saying that with this ohm mismatch of 1/12 at 16 ohm and 2/12 at 8 ohm, that it will work to have the three speakers going simultaneously?

Why not just run the 212 extension cab by itself? The third speaker isn't really going to add very much, and the amp will be running at its rated impedance, which is probably a safer bet. All you have to do is unplug the built in speaker, and you're golden.

212s can be plenty loud.

If you need a bigger spread or more push, just use a 412. Then you can still run at a rated impedance without concern.

Last edited:
Why not just run the 212 extension cab by itself? The third speaker isn't really going to add very much, and the amp will be running at its rated impedance, which is probably a safer bet. All you have to do is unplug the built in speaker, and you're golden.

212s can be plenty loud.

If you need a bigger spread or more push, just use a 412. Then you can still run at a rated impedance without concern.

+1

When on a tone quest, running three speakers seems to be a great way to help you triangulate where your desired tone is.

I can see running both boxes. Put one behind you and the other in front of you (or both on either side), and envelope yourself in a cocoon of awesomeness!

Back