Mistakenly bought low mass tuners......

claythomas

Nothing but the best!
I bought a set of low mass tuners that were advertised as GEN II. The low mass tuners don't have screws but rather have an alignment pin. The Reverb seller has good numbers and reputation. But if he had advertised these correctly I surely wouldn't have bought them.
Anyway, I asked him for a template to attempt to install these. He said to just align them with the nut slots on the "E" strings and drill new holes.
Has anyone had experience doing this? Should I just ask for a refund and then find new tuners that fit without modification?

They are really hard to align properly, since the pin prevents the tuner from sitting flat on the headstock. You would ideally have a jig to drill the pinhole. That's another $45. The seller should refund you for everything, including return shipping.

The other issue is the tuners you received are made by Han Chang in South Korea. They are SE-level. The Gen 2 tuners are made in Japan by Gotoh and are Core-level. Gen 2 tuners have superior construction and tighter tolerances.

There's nothing wrong with the tuners you got, they are used on the S2 and CE models and work great, but they aren't what you thought you were getting so returning is definitely the right call.

You didn't say what guitar you want to put them on, but I'm sure there are options out there that don't require drilling.

I did the same thing. Bought for an older CE 24 sight unseen from someone here to replace the wing tuners I am not a fan of. Need to put them up for sale one day.

There's nothing wrong with the tuners you got, they are used on the S2 and CE models and work great, but they aren't what you thought you were getting so returning is definitely the right call.

You didn't say what guitar you want to put them on, but I'm sure there are options out there that don't require drilling.
I am installing them on an 88 CE24.

Back