Mission Accomplished: S2 Singlecut Standard P-90 Mod

KILLER!!! Who did the pickguard? I have been kind of thinking of doing up an S2 Singlecut with a single pickup as a straight up rock guitar....

Thanks! Tony at Pickguardian did it for me.

Stupid question, did the P90s fit as is, or did you have to route them?

They fit as is, but not with covers on. To get them in there with covers would require a little bit of routing.

Your mods have made an amazing guitar. Mahogany, P-90`s, Singlecut..........you poured on the awesome sauce. I`m wondering how the routed body with the pickguard has ended up sonically. Any chance we can be gifted with sound samples?

Thanks. I agree mahogany, single cutaway, and P-90's is a winning combo. I'll try to work up some demo sound clips. I've been needing to get around to recording with my THR-10.

BUMP

How did this work out? I've been wanting to do this for a while now.

I think he sold it?

I can recco putting in humbucker sized P90s, lots of companies do them now. I finally got around to doing mine

Yeah, it was killer, but I did sell it. P-90's never do work out for me (I swore this was my last attempt) and the 594 is my end-all four knob humbucker guitar, so the Singlecut didn't really have a place in my collection any longer.

The reason I went this route is because the humbucker sized P-90's don't really do it for the most part. The coil is generally too tall and narrow and they use 43ga wire to make up for it. So what you get is something P-90-ish, but not with the nuances of the flat, wide coil of a real P-90. I remember finding one or two custom winders who can fit true P-90 bobbins on a humbucker baseplate and wind them with 42ga wire, as long as the output isn't too high. I've forgotten who, though. I remember them being pricey and feeling too cheap about it at the time.

Bareknuckle mississippi queens

I stumbled upon them & love them.

MQP90s.png

Last edited:
Back