Mismatched 58/15 LT Output

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
I’ve noticed my 594’s pickups measure 8.1k in the neck and 7.5k in the bridge. Has anyone else noticed this with their 58/15 LT’s? I’m thinking of swapping them around as the bridge is a bit weak for my taste.

It’s a 2018 semi hollow 594. I know the 58/15 LTs are all supposed to be the same output so I was surprised my set had such variance.

In both of my guitars outfitted with 58/15 LT's, the pickups measured the same. If I were you, I would swap the positions. I always thought that the bridge pickup needed a slightly higher output than the neck.

My readings for my PRS SH 594 with 58/15 LTs:

Neck 7.79 kOhms, Bridge 7.55 kOhms.

Yes, I checked those readings about three times. But they sound balanced to me.

=K

My readings for my PRS SH 594 with 58/15 LTs:

Neck 7.79 kOhms, Bridge 7.55 kOhms.

Yes, I checked those readings about three times. But they sound balanced to me.

=K
That’s just a natural difference due to tolerance variations in components. Perfectly acceptable (electronically) and while your meter will read a difference, your ear won’t hear the difference. Even with the OP’s readings, it’s unlikely that you can hear a difference with less than 1K variance between pickups.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’m going to switch them around. I’ve been finding the neck too boomy and the bridge to thin so I think this simple swap might fix those issues for me.

Switch em see what happens.

I had them and hated the lack of heat. Different strokes...

I agree. Neck pickup is fine but I don’t care for low output bridge humbuckers. I want to put an uncovered 59/09 in it but can’t find any with the smoked chrome pole pieces.

I agree. Neck pickup is fine but I don’t care for low output bridge humbuckers. I want to put an uncovered 59/09 in it but can’t find any with the smoked chrome pole pieces.

PRS uses nickel plating, not chrome (not sure about the Floyd trems). The nickel will tarnish over time.

PRS uses nickel plating, not chrome (not sure about the Floyd trems). The nickel will tarnish over time.

Got it, I just meant their smoked hardware in general. The pole pieces and screws are darker on my guitars with the smoked hardware instead of the standard chrome like my 24-08.
F94-AD3-A0-C220-4-D5-F-B5-D1-E77-DBE1794-AC.jpg

I measured mine this morning and got roughly the same results as you, the neck was measuring hotter than the bridge. It doesn’t sound like it to my ears since I’ve lowered the neck pickup considerably.

Took everyone's advice and revisited the pickup height. I've messed around with it before but this time I did it mostly by ear and came away with the bridge about a 64th closer on both sides than my usual set up and the neck pickup just slightly below my normal set up. Definitely improved and probably not worth the effort to swap them, never underestimate pick up height!

Back