Mira with P90s

Mvenuti1980

Has anyone tried P90s on their Mira? I let go of my SG because I figured the Mira was too similar, all hog with humbuckers. The SG connection got me thinking…SGs sounds great with P90s, so I bet it would work in a Mira! I’m tempted to put some Duncan P-Rails with triple shot rings in. Anyone tried anything like that?

For a very short period around 2010, there was a PRS Mira Soapbar (P90) model with the Gibson-style 24.5" scale length. It was fantastic--I had one, and probably should never have sold it. It was very much like an SG with P90's... or even more accurately like a double-cut Les Paul Special. Very comfortable and light-weight guitar, I think it was maybe 6 lbs.

Clint Lowery used a P90 Mira on one of Loudwire's videos and it sounded pretty good. As a result I've been thinking about getting an SE Mira and installing SD Phat Cats for that kind of setup

I had the triple shots in an SE singlecut with all new wiring. The humbucker sounds didn't thrill me. Neither did the P90 or singlecut sounds. I got a specific guitar or two to do each sound, and now I'm a happy camper. The Duncans got the sounds in the close but not quite department.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to do it. I ordered the Seymour Duncan P-rails and the triple shot rings so I can get humbucker series & parallel, single coil rails and P 90 sounds.

I just purchased the same pickups and rings. Do you have the correct wiring diagram to install these in a new SE Custom 24? I can’t find it anywhere!

I had the triple shots in an SE singlecut with all new wiring. The humbucker sounds didn't thrill me. Neither did the P90 or singlecut sounds. I got a specific guitar or two to do each sound, and now I'm a happy camper. The Duncans got the sounds in the close but not quite department.

I had a set of the first version P-Rails and this was my experience. All three sounds were okay. But, nothing that excited me or motivated me.

That pretty much cured me of any desire to find an 'All-In-One'. I am now of the same mindset as DogRocketP, I want guitars that each do their own thing. If I want P-90's I commit to P-90's. Humbuckers? Same.

I own an SE Santana. I love the feel of the guitar. It plays nicely, etc. But, the humbuckers are ok. Good, but not great (similar to my P-Rail experience, really). I had used this guitar as a replacement for an LP DC Special with P-90S pickups (slug magnets). So, I custom ordered a set of humbucker sized P-90s from Zhangbucker. We did the neck pickup with slug magnets and the bridge is wound a touch hot. There's some other special sauce, that's beyond my knowledge... But, needless to say, it really turned the guitar into a lifer for me.

However, i hoe your experience with the newer P-Rails is better than mine was! (oh, and not that that experience was horrible... Just not the answer I was looking for).

I ended up trading both the Mira and the PRails for a Swamp Ash Special with 57/08s. I guess we’ll never know…

Back