MIra with Maple Top vs Santana

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I've seen the occasional Mira with a maple cap up for sale on Reverb - just spotted another recent listing, which fired some neurons that triggers the question:

Sonically, what differences are there between the maple-capped Mira and a "typical" core Santana? I started this post thinking there weren't all that many differences, but I see now they have added up.

Is it the 25" vs 24.5" scale?

Does the pickup/control routing do that much for tone?

Did the maple-capped Mira come with the same "Mira" pups as the non-maple-capped version? (The one I see on Reverb has had a pickup swap.)

Does adding the maple cap add thickness back to the body? Or did they thin out the hog portion proportionally?

Neck thickness? Wide thin vs Santana carve?

Otherwise they are both hog body maple capped, hog neck, RW fretboard.

Just curious - maybe this could be an outlet for @sergiodeblanc 's recent so-called "Satisfaction" with his current herd.

Mira would have either Wide Thin or Regular neck carve. The maple top versions came with the same pickups (which are great, IMO) and was the same thickness as the mahogany version.

Interesting questions! I've never seen a maple capped Mira, nor did I know they existed. I would think the body thickness would be the same, so less hog. Wide thin vs. Santana would certainly be the case (or Reg). I would assume standard Mira pick ups.

I always thought Mira is to Santana as SG is to LP. That's just my tiny brain rationale, though. Looking forward to what others have to say.

Dunno, since I’ve never played a maple top Mira.

But if I compare my all mahogany West Street to my all mahogany Mira, I’d say the body mass, trem, and especially scale length make enough of a difference to chose one over the other.

I mean, they’re somewhat interchangeable because in the end they both sound and play like guitars but,... otherwise I’d say they’re very different.

But if I compare my all mahogany West Street to my all mahogany Mira, I’d say the body mass, trem, and especially scale length make enough of a difference to chose one over the other.

I mean, they’re somewhat interchangeable because in the end they both sound and play like guitars but,... otherwise I’d say they’re very different.
Completely agree. Now I'm one closer! I got you bro!

I like your Mira better than any I have ever played :) might just be the 57/08s in it but it also had a better neck than mine :)

Oh yeah, forgot trem vs wraparound hardtail.

OK, so there are a few core Miras bouncing around that I now have GAS for. Again. But I still wonder about a rosewood neck McCarty or 513 or something...(see my thread from a couple months ago)

OTOH, I just messed around with my SE 277 Semihollow (with soapbars), while reviewing some work emails, and came up with a nice doomy-sounding riff/chord structure. Maybe I should just play my existing stock of guitars more?

Oh yeah, forgot trem vs wraparound hardtail.

OK, so there are a few core Miras bouncing around that I now have GAS for. Again. But I still wonder about a rosewood neck McCarty or 513 or something...(see my thread from a couple months ago)

OTOH, I just messed around with my SE 277 Semihollow (with soapbars), while reviewing some work emails, and came up with a nice doomy-sounding riff/chord structure. Maybe I should just play my existing stock of guitars more?

Better buy something just to be safe.

Better buy something just to be safe.
Hmm, better not let my wife see this thread. I have a core Mira I found on Reverb bookmarked, pretty good price, but that McRosie itch is still there...

btw, there are a few of you folks with "Zombie xxxx, DFZ" in your avatar tag and/or sig line. I obviously missed something. What's that all about?

Now that I like my regular Mira so much, I'm especially haunted by the blue flamed maple top one that I could have bought NEW for about the same price, a few years back. And, had the wifes blessing to buy it when I showed it to her. WTH was I thinking?

Back