Mira pickups ?

I can't speak for the USA made Mira pickups, but I absolutely love my Korean made Mira pickups. In my opinion they are among the most versatile pickups PRS make. Even though every PRS pickup I've tried sounds good both in humbucker and split mode, I think the split sound on the Mira pickups are up there among the best sounding when split without compromising the full humbucker sound. I confess I'm totally biased as the Mira together with the McCarty are among my all time favorite PRSi.

Edit: I was sad to see them out of production. I understand that PRS as a company needs to do what's best for them, but I was sad nonetheless.

Really like the Mira pickups and have them in 2 guitars at the moment ( DGT and SCT ) they are a hotter vintage pickup ( 9K ish ) so they have a bit more push the a 57/08 or McCarty the Mira pickup is an uncovered version of the 245 pickup, I always put covers on mine.
The Mira neck pickup is nice and balanced or clear the Bridge can be to bright for some but I love it in darker guitars and all Hog guitars

I used to own 2 Miras, one a 2008 cherry red with uncovered pickups that received Lollar Low Wind and Regular Imperial covered pickups, and 2012 or 2013 Ltd Edition Antique White Gold Hardware with gold covered pickups (stock).

Core USA uncovered Mira pickups are notably brighter right out of the carton, and can be tamed with modest EQ adjustments either at the guitar tone knobs, effects or amp level. They are typically designed for blues or blues rock, not so much for jazz which requires a thicker, warmer tone. The clean brightness is remarkably well-voiced for 6L6, 6V6 and EL34 amps, but may be a tad too bright for EL84s.

Because of their brightness, they may not seem as wooly or warm as even lower output pickups, but the DCR values (?) usually denote cleaner contrasted to muddier midrange. Lower DCR being cleaner, warmer; higher DCR meaning hotter, less headroom before break-up.

Am not sure about the Mira DCR values, though. Will try to spec from PRS' website and check back with you in several minutes...

EDIT: Search on PRS' website returned little if any info regards any DCR values. Better to research via Google or Bing.

Last edited:
I used to own 2 Miras, one a 2008 cherry red with uncovered pickups that received Lollar Low Wind and Regular Imperial covered pickups, and 2012 or 2013 Ltd Edition Antique White Gold Hardware with gold covered pickups (stock).

Core USA uncovered Mira pickups are notably brighter right out of the carton, and can be tamed with modest EQ adjustments either at the guitar tone knobs, effects or amp level. They are typically designed for blues or blues rock, not so much for jazz which requires a thicker, warmer tone. The clean brightness is remarkably well-voiced for 6L6, 6V6 and EL34 amps, but may be a tad too bright for EL84s.

It is possible to swap the Mira pickups out with 4-conductor-wire pickups (IIRC, Miras also do the coil-tap thing). I'd suggest either Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special and '59 pickups (bridge/neck respectively) for a lower cost solution, or if money is not as tight, Lollar Low-Wind/Regular Imperials, or PRS 57/08s. Duncans can be purchased with both the 4-conductor and covered options, IIRC.

That being said, don't order something unless you've done your research first.

Thank Rider1260 and CandidPicker for the info.

Paul

My 2009 Mira has a DCR of 8,83 kohm on the bass pickup resp. 9,70 kohm on the treble pickup. I swapped out them for a set of 57/08s.

I have a Mira bridge pickup. I don’t find it overly bright. I don’t think it’s as bright as a 5708? I’ve only tried it in core Mira and McStandard though.

I really like the original Mira pickups overall.

Because of their brightness, they may not seem as wooly or warm as even lower output pickups, but the DCR values (?) usually denote cleaner contrasted to muddier midrange. Lower DCR being cleaner, warmer; higher DCR meaning hotter, less headroom before break-up.

Am not sure about the Mira DCR values, though. Will try to spec from PRS' website and check back with you in several minutes...

EDIT: Search on PRS' website returned little if any info regards any DCR values. Better to research via Google or Bing.
I believe you’re talking about a 2008 Ltd Edition in JET white. I own one and I’m almost certain there wasn’t another run later on in antique white with gold. Although, they did make one in antique, just not with the gold hardware.

Wow, owning two hundred and eight Miras is impressive! :cool:

I would like to see a picture of them all together. :D

My 2009 Mira pickups are uncovered and read, neck 8.85K ohms, coil tap 4.46k ohms and bridge 9.60k ohms, coil tap 4.85k ohms. There very versatile and I’ve never felt a need to change them out.

Back