Minor problem

Slartibartfarst42

I picked up a new PRS SE Custom 24 today in quilted purple to go with the 25th anniversary model I already own. The guitar is beautiful but when I got it home and fitted the trem arm, it was very loose indeed to the point where I fear it could just fall out. Just in case it was the arm, I tried the trem arm from my existing CU24 but that was loose in there too. Thinking that the problem must therefore be with the hole in the bridge for the trem arm I tried the trem arm from my new guitar in the old one and surprisingly it was loose in there too. Out of the two guitars, the only combination where the trem arm is secure is the old arm in the old guitar. What is the likely cause of this and can it be easily fixed?

There is a set screw in the backside of the trem to the right of the intonation screws. The Allen key that should've come in your goodie bag will adjust the screw.

There should be a tiny hole, on the bottom side of the trem, down towards the bottom of the guitar. In that hole is a tiny set-screw. Tightening that screw tightens the nylon bushing that holds the trem arm in. It's adjustable, since some folks like their trem arm to stay up in a set position, and others prefer it to swing down out of the way, when not in use.

Me? I find them a n annoyance, not to be trifled with.... ;)

Jamie

I had the same issue a little over a month ago with a Custom 24 I bought... I've been playing Paul Reed Smiths since '97 (and had 2 other Trem Models, too). What cjmwrx posted above is 100% correct!!

and if you even START to feel bad about not looking at the trem system... remember that I did the same thing after playing a PRS trem system for about 15 years!! lol

Thank you very much. Adjustment made and guitar now perfect. Still needs a proper setup as the action is too high for me but I'll do that when the new Bare Knuckles arrive for it :D

Back