Mini-Humbuckers for SE Soapbar?

Zatx

Zat, Zat, he's our man!
Tried to use the forum search feature but it wasn't playing nice...

Just as an exercise in thought... are there mini-humbuckers out there that fit in the new SE Soapbar routes?

Thank you.

Sure. Mini hum and soapbar routs are the same size. Just make sure the mini hums you get are for the Gibson Deluxe style mount, which is a soapbar sized ring.

I had read that the SE Soapbars out of Korea had smaller routes, but the thread wasn't on a PRS specific forum.

Several years ago I had an SE One and I put an Allparts minihumbucker in it. Fit great. Garrett has a soapbar with Bill Lawrence mini-humbuckers in it.

SE-OneWithMiniHum.jpg

I've seen that on other forums as well and don't know where they were getting that idea from. Makes no sense to me at all. Maaaaybe on the original SE Soapbar, but I highly doubt it. Definitely not the case on the II or the One I have.

The trouble you can run into, at least with the Soapbar II, is the neck pickup rout is shallow. Not a problem with regular P-90's, but any stacked coil design is too tall, side by side designs are iffy. About .75" is the max pickup depth that'll work, and that's pushing it.

I don't know if that applies to Singlecuts, though. They have a thicker body, so the rout may be deeper.

Last edited:
Back