Minding my own business, when...

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
I was. I was just minding my own business when I started feeling an ache on my right side. No, not near my appendix, higher and more to the back. And it grew and grew. It spread to encompass the whole side from my hip to under my ribs. Front to back. And it got worse.

It was unremitting and I could find no comfortable position. It progressed to the 'roll around on the floor' stage of agony. I was nauseous. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being pass out, it was a solid 8 or 9.

An hour later it was gone, save for residual soreness. That was one damn long hour.

A CT scan Tuesday confirmed that I had passes a 2x3 mm jagged kidney stone. My first ( please let it be the last! ).

I got instructions to strain my 'production' to catch the little bugger for analysis. I caught it in a coffee filter yesterday. Small. Jagged. Vicious.

I'm back to about 95% with just a bit of residual soreness.

Even minding your own business is fraught with danger.

Glad you are mending. I passed one a few years back. They say it is as painful as childbirth for women. I would believe it. I had 3 more just waiting. They put me to sleep and (don't read this if you are sensitive) ran a long mechanical grabber tool up the wrong direction through the plumbing and into the kidneys and got those nasty buggers. Recovery was painful, but not as bad as passing them.

My business partner had this happen to him. He still insists it was the worst pain he's ever experienced. Glad you made it through to the other side.

Glad you are mending. I passed one a few years back. They say it is as painful as childbirth for women. I would believe it. I had 3 more just waiting. They put me to sleep and (don't read this if you are sensitive) ran a long mechanical grabber tool up the wrong direction through the plumbing and into the kidneys and got those nasty buggers. Recovery was painful, but not as bad as passing them.

I hope there are no more, and certainly none that are larger because this procedure is not for me! My plumbing is ONE WAY ONLY.

My business partner had this happen to him. He still insists it was the worst pain he's ever experienced. Glad you made it through to the other side.

Duuude, kidney stones suck!

Glad you're feeling better. Just reading the story makes me shudder. :vroam:

Thanks guys! You wouldn't think something so small could cause so much grief.

Small.

Jagged.

Vicious!

Last edited:
Had one a few years back and can absolutely attest to unbearable pain only relieved by opiate based drugs.

Once it had all 'passed' the consultant advised me (totally serious and deadpan) to reduce or avoid cheese, red meat and wine. Better just shoot me instead!

Ouch, hoping that's something I don't experience. Glad you're feeling better.

Man I gotta say, after reading the whole post, I'm actually glad it was a kidney stone... It sounded to me like you were detailing a major coronary event which would have sucked big time!!!

Hope you're done with those buggers for good...

The whole thing did bring to mind a line from one of my favorite songs. "Like a kidney stone, this too shall pass".

Watch, listen, enjoy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was. I was just minding my own business when I started feeling an ache on my right side. No, not near my appendix, higher and more to the back. And it grew and grew. It spread to encompass the whole side from my hip to under my ribs. Front to back. And it got worse.

It was unremitting and I could find no comfortable position. It progressed to the 'roll around on the floor' stage of agony. I was nauseous. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being pass out, it was a solid 8 or 9.

An hour later it was gone, save for residual soreness. That was one damn long hour.

A CT scan Tuesday confirmed that I had passes a 2x3 mm jagged kidney stone. My first ( please let it be the last! ).

I got instructions to strain my 'production' to catch the little bugger for analysis. I caught it in a coffee filter yesterday. Small. Jagged. Vicious.

I'm back to about 95% with just a bit of residual soreness.

Even minding your own business is fraught with danger.

Brother I've felt your pain... 3 times. :eek:
They can image to see if there are anymore... Be sure to follow up with the Dr., it they get "stuck", it's surgery. :(

Feel better! :D

Man I gotta say, after reading the whole post, I'm actually glad it was a kidney stone... It sounded to me like you were detailing a major coronary event which would have sucked big time!!!

Hope you're done with those buggers for good...

The whole thing did bring to mind a line from one of my favorite songs. "Like a kidney stone, this too shall pass".

Watch, listen, enjoy...

OOmph! We just had the cardiac scare with my wife - looks like it was gall bladder at this point - her ticker is good.

Jon - that video gave me chills it was so good - thank you! I never heard that song before.
...except for that riff is stuck in my head now....

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother I've felt your pain... 3 times. :eek:
They can image to see if there are anymore... Be sure to follow up with the Dr., it they get "stuck", it's surgery. :(

Feel better! :D

Thankfully, the CT showed this one to be The Lone Ranger. My doc has it now for an analysis to see what I have to change in my diet to try to prevent any Tontos from coming along.... (Jon's video has affected my verbal imaging.... )

Oh man these little buggers are the bane of my existence ... had 4 pass in the last 5 years and just finally had a CT scan and they found 5 little guys qued up in the left kidney and a 5-6mm one in the right...can't wait for the fun to begin haha. I hope that this was the first and last you ever experience Ruger, I wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy.

One trick that works for me is to limit my alcohol intake dramatically and limiting my dark leafy green veg intake (bye bye spinach dip). Nobody ever told me to stay away from booze but in my amateur field tests I discovered the hard way that a real good night with Jack Daniels is a sure fire way to kick a stone down the tubes!

Best of luck!

Jon - that video gave me chills it was so good - thank you! I never heard that song before.
...except for that riff is stuck in my head now....

Man I'm glad you dig it!!!
It is one of those riffs that just stays with you for sure. :p
Puscifer is Maynard from Tool's other band.
If you like "Momma Sed", definitely check out their other stuff...

Back