Mike Mushok with Nashville-like tuning

jay

Happy Member
Lastly I am enjoying Pat Metheny's One Quiet Night album, where he uses a baritone acoustic with two middle strings up an octave, and i had the occasion of playing something similar, having lot of fun, so I thought: I know Mike Mushok PRS has probably not been designed for Metheny's stuff, but has anybody played with similar tunings on it and created something interesting?

Last edited:
I'd imagine you have to mess with the string gauge with 2 strings up an octave? I'm all for creative tuning, but tuning up an octave would scare the sh!t outta me. I think I'd wear safety glasses...maybe a full face shield.

Yeah...you'd have to go reeeeeeally light to go up for the D and G octave strings...I don't have a 12 string but can only assume you could get close with the higher octave D and G string gauge from a 12 string set. Actually might make chords sound pretty cool. I played a Taylor 8 string Bari with octaves on those two only and it had a really neat sound.

I'd imagine you have to mess with the string gauge with 2 strings up an octave? I'm all for creative tuning, but tuning up an octave would scare the sh!t outta me. I think I'd wear safety glasses...maybe a full face shield.

Yes, you'll have to use lighter gauges on those two strings. Go for something a gauge or two lighter than the top two strings, meaning the fourth string should be one gauge lighter than the second, and the third string should be one gauge lighter than the first string.

I've done Nashville Tuning on my acoustic before, with all high strings. I imagine this Metheny tuning would open up some cool chord sounds.

Back