Migraines

I am starting to get nerve blocks along with the Botox. I notice that I am able to get through a migraine without taking medication. This particular headache was mild though. I hope this is an indicator of what the future holds for me!

Hi all I was intending to post on here a couple of days ago as I suffer from these as well, but didn't feel up to it..... due to a migraine! It wasn't a bad one but made me feel pretty rough and I just couldn't face looking at any screens - I rarely get auras though get a sick feeling in the stomach followed by a terrible headache and throbbing and sometimes lights - I couldn't even walk straight! I only get them about every 6-8 weeks but I really sympathise with everyone here who gets these - I hope you get through them.

I find a combination of salty foods (usually salt and cider vinegar crisps/chips) and fizzy drinks as well as those fizzy paracetamol help a bit - it's not what the doctor would order, but it makes a bit of a difference .

Lola I hope you're feeling better

I find a combination of salty foods (usually salt and cider vinegar crisps/chips) and fizzy drinks as well as those fizzy paracetamol help a bit - it's not what the doctor would order, but it makes a bit of a difference .

Lola I hope you're feeling better
What a coincidence. When I am feeling noxious Miss Vickie’s salt and vinegar and a Schweppes ginger ale seems to be a constant in my life. I can hold those down no problem!

Thx for asking about my well being. ❤️

For bad nausea, I do 2 things:

-take 2 Dramamine***
-saltines and ginger alw

***I got this idea from a buddy who is an ER nurse. He said when people come in with migraines, they no longer give the "good stuff" (like demerol). Now the "migraine cocktail" is Nabumetone (a strong NSAID), Benedryl, and an antiemetic. The only antiemetic I am aware of that can be bought over the counter is Dramamine, so I tried that. It's actually an antihistamine (like Benadryl), so instead of taking both I just take a double dose of the Dramamine.

AND it works best BEFORE nausea sets in. So, when I feel a migraine coming, I take 1 Maxalt and 1 muscle relaxer (cyclobenzaprine), and as soon as I can tell it's going to be a "bad one", I take 2 Dramamine and lay down in a dark room, with ice packs on my head. Works really well for me.

@ruger9 i have heard of Dramamine but have never taken it. I will try this “cocktail” with my next really bad migraine.

Can you take Dramamine with Cambia? I have been taking Cambia as well. Just wondering about the interaction between them.

@ruger9 i have heard of Dramamine but have never taken it. I will try this “cocktail” with my next really bad migraine.

Can you take Dramamine with Cambia? I have been taking Cambia as well. Just wondering about the interaction between them.

IDK what cambia is. But the drug interaction checker on drugs.com found no interactions between it and Dramamine.

That's the ORIGINAL dramamine... not one of the "non-drowsy" versions.

They have finally put me on my latest medication which is used for grande mal seizures as well as migraines but the side affects at first are nasty. You look like a drunk who has been on an all night bender. Your balance is off. I am doing research on this drug and I don’t like it. When i see my doctor next I am asking him if there is anything else he can put me on the. The side effects belong in Frankenstein’s lab. There are very scary and I don’t want to be subjected to these if I don’t have to be! Some side effects are absolutlely frightening.

May I add that I was suffering anywhere from 20 - 25 migraines a month. All bed ridden being right of controll migraines or in hospital with IV called a migraine “cocktail”.
That just sounds unbelievably brutal

IDK what cambia is. But the drug interaction checker on drugs.com found no interactions between it and Dramamine.

That's the ORIGINAL dramamine... not one of the "non-drowsy" versions.
Thank you for checking that for me. I didn’t even think of checking it on line.

Thanks there's a lot of helpful knowledge and tips on coping with these.

Ruger that sounds like it's effective, though I'm not sure whether Dramamine is available here in the UK over the counter; probably not without a prescription. I forgot to mention I also use effervescent co-codamol tablets you can buy from a pharmacy (with the obligatory verbal warning from the pharmacist about excessive use, though not really relevant to me given I only use these for migraines) and they alleviate the symptoms somewhat.

I also find that green tea with ginger helps a bit, as well as being comforting.

Dramamine isn’t available in Canada. Alternative?

I have tried Benadryl to sleep with but it is very sketchy. I gave up my prescription sleep meds. Been on them too long.

Dramamine isn’t available in Canada. Alternative?

I have tried Benadryl to sleep with but it is very sketchy. I gave up my prescription sleep meds. Been on them too long.
Dramamine is a brand name. Look for the actual drug: dimenhydrinate.

Also, look for anything labeled antiemetic, which is anti-nausea. usually marketed as a Motion Sickness drug (like for boats or airplanes)

Lola, I'll ask my missus about Dramamine alternatives, she's a clinical pharmacist so she will know what's out there and any interactive issues. But I know it as Dimenhydrinate/gravol on our pharmacy shelves. Dramamine is the US "trade name" for the same thing near as I understand

Ok, I don't want to insult you people who suffer from this, but I saw something on Instagram last night, where lots of people are claiming that putting their feet in very hot water, helps their migraines. Some said to couple that with hands in hot water and ice pack on the head, but many people were claiming that it really helped.

Have you heard or tried this? If it works even somewhat, it's better than meds.

Ok, I don't want to insult you people who suffer from this, but I saw something on Instagram last night, where lots of people are claiming that putting their feet in very hot water, helps their migraines. Some said to couple that with hands in hot water and ice pack on the head, but many people were claiming that it really helped.

Have you heard or tried this? If it works even somewhat, it's better than meds.

haha yes I've seen this come up in my Facebook feed. I'm not going to say it's nonsense, because I believe in doing whatever works- even if it's a placebo.

Hey Lola, sorry for the delay, been up to my backside in alligators with home repairs.
Herself did confirm again what I mentioned above. She was not aware of any interactive issues that might come up, but always a good idea to consult a physician in case you take any other meds that could cause an adverse effect.

Hey Lola, sorry for the delay, been up to my backside in alligators with home repairs.
Herself did confirm again what I mentioned above. She was not aware of any interactive issues that might come up, but always a good idea to consult a physician in case you take any other meds that could cause an adverse effect.
I have to be very careful with my medications and their interactions. I am really concious!

AMAZING! Haven’t had a migraine for 10 whole days. The nerve blocks that I am getting now last up 8 months. I am so excited. Rehearsal is on Sunday and because I feel a slight liberation and I can hardly wait to go. I am EXCITED.

Back