Migraines

Well, I went to work for two hours and came home. I was so sick when I got there they called the paramedics for me. I should have gone to the hospital but I refused. It was already enough of a circus. Local hospital wait times 8 hours. They did their checks on me and my BP was high. I don’t have any issues with BP. I came home and quietly slipped into bed.

I'd say chronic. They've given her medications, but they only work sometimes. I try to be supportive when she has them, which is often (usually, despite my best efforts, I fail to be of much use).
Your a kind, compassionate and wonderful human being. A lot of ppl don’t understand migraines and are not really aware of the symptoms we have to contend with. My husband is not bad. I wish he was just a little more supportive.

Do any of you suffer from these horrendous headaches?
Every now and then.
Lots of times I just get a strange light show. Kind of a warning. Sometimes it comes on full blast. With me I have less days without a headache. Several concussions and major sinus issues.

I went to the doctors and explained exactly what was going on with my stomach issues and migraines. He gave me a leave of absence for 10 days. HO is really p$ssed that I am taking time off. I have all my i’s dotted and t’s crossed. There’s nothing they can do except for moan and whine because things aren’t getting done in a timely matter. I don’t care. I have been loyal to this company for 11 years. I am just a number to them. I have 1 1/2 yrs left and I am done with this company. I thought I might go an work part time somewhere. I just can’t stay at home, I need to work for my mental health! If I don’t feel healthy like right now I can’t function properly.

My HO boss is a real d*ck. When I phoned Montreal to let them know about my leave of absence you could hear the anger in her voice. I just don’t care anymore.

Last edited:
I have been in a migraine state for 3 days. Yesterday was so nightmarish. I was screaming in pain it was that bad. I should of gone to the hospital but I tried to fight it. To top all off my stomach has started causing me great pain again. I can’t eat because it comes right back up. I have been just staying in bed and been having sips of ginger ale. I was even paranoid to try eating some dry crackers. I lived in the bathroom yesterday. This is not the way life should be. I am struggling just to survive. Then add work into the mix and my husbands foot surgery. The struggle is getting ridiculously tough. My migraine meds are amazing and work most of the time but this time I am getting one right after the other. When the meds wear off I get another attack. I can honestly say I really hate my life atm. I am out of my medication. I have 10 more days before I can get a new script. I am allowed 12 Maxalts a month. It’s time to rethink things. I can’t live like this anymore.

Regarding the Maxalt: I also take it. You are allowed more than 12 per month... but your insurance won't pay for more than 12. I recently went thru this. If you pay for them yourself, you can get more, provided the doctor writes the rx. I had my doctor rx me 30 at a time, with 3 refills. She put in the rx notes to NOT put it through insurance, that patient will be paying for it himself.

Then use the GoodRx app. Actually, you don't need the app- you can just do it in a browser. You put in your medicine, dosage, and location, and it will tell you the prices at the various pharmacies... not all pharmacies work with GoodRx. Mine didn't, and 30 pills was going to cost me something like $208 at CVS. So I had the rx called in to a local pharmacy that DOES take GoodRx, and I paid only $24. I am attaching a screenshot...
IMG-F915-C25-FA9-B4-1.jpg

I get aural migraines, and have since my early teens. If I down some excedrin and a coffee during the aural phase, it takes the edge off the headache phase. If I miss my window of opportunity, all I can do is lay down in a dark quiet room with a pillow over my head until the worst of it passes. Headache usually lasts a few hours. I’m wrecked for the next day. Not fun.

Last edited:
I've suffered with Cluster Headaches for the last 30 + years. Was in remission for 10 years (after major colon surgery cleared them up). Got sick a few weeks ago and they came roaring back with a vengeance. Was a patient at the UPMC Headache clinic in Pittsburgh, we were able to get them under control with injectable Imitrex, oxygen, verapamil, and prednisone.
Teaching my current Dr about these headaches and what they are (moved from Pitt. to upstate NY 6 years ago).. Hoping for some relief soon. I feel for anyone dealing with these.......if I go on YouTube and watch videos of people having attacks, I want to reach through the screen and hold them, tell them there other people going 5hrough this and not to give up hope, as it is very easy to do with these.

Regarding the Maxalt: I also take it. You are allowed more than 12 per month... but your insurance won't pay for more than 12. I recently went thru this. If you pay for them yourself, you can get more, provided the doctor writes the rx. I had my doctor rx me 30 at a time, with 3 refills. She put in the rx notes to NOT put it through insurance, that patient will be paying for it himself.

Then use the GoodRx app. Actually, you don't need the app- you can just do it in a browser. You put in your medicine, dosage, and location, and it will tell you the prices at the various pharmacies... not all pharmacies work with GoodRx. Mine didn't, and 30 pills was going to cost me something like $208 at CVS. So I had the rx called in to a local pharmacy that DOES take GoodRx, and I paid only $24. I am attaching a screenshot...
IMG-F915-C25-FA9-B4-1.jpg
I didn’t know that I was allowed more then 12 a month. Knowing this I can get more if I need by paying for it myself. In Canada for 12 pills is $178. We don’t have deals here at pharmacies like you do in the US.

Just the fact that I can get more is such a relief. Thank you for the enlightenment!

I've suffered with Cluster Headaches for the last 30 + years. Was in remission for 10 years (after major colon surgery cleared them up). Got sick a few weeks ago and they came roaring back with a vengeance. Was a patient at the UPMC Headache clinic in Pittsburgh, we were able to get them under control with injectable Imitrex, oxygen, verapamil, and prednisone.
Teaching my current Dr about these headaches and what they are (moved from Pitt. to upstate NY 6 years ago).. Hoping for some relief soon. I feel for anyone dealing with these.......if I go on YouTube and watch videos of people having attacks, I want to reach through the screen and hold them, tell them there other people going 5hrough this and not to give up hope, as it is very easy to do with these.
I do believe that Cluster headaches are worse then migraines. I am really sorry that you are going through this. I know that sometimes my pain is just unbearable. I can’t even begin to imagine what you experience when you have an attack.

I do believe that Cluster headaches are worse then migraines. I am really sorry that you are going through this. I know that sometimes my pain is just unbearable. I can’t even begin to imagine what you experience when you have an attack.
Thank you Lola. They can be brutal, but to me the worst part is the cluster part. Sometimes they just don't stop and it really can break you down. I'm pretty sure I can get temporary relief with a migraine "cocktail". It's finding a way to stop the cycles that gets s9 frustrating.

I have been in a migraine state for 3 days. Yesterday was so nightmarish. I was screaming in pain it was that bad. I should of gone to the hospital but I tried to fight it. To top all off my stomach has started causing me great pain again. I can’t eat because it comes right back up. I have been just staying in bed and been having sips of ginger ale. I was even paranoid to try eating some dry crackers. I lived in the bathroom yesterday. This is not the way life should be. I am struggling just to survive. Then add work into the mix and my husbands foot surgery. The struggle is getting ridiculously tough. My migraine meds are amazing and work most of the time but this time I am getting one right after the other. When the meds wear off I get another attack. I can honestly say I really hate my life atm. I am out of my medication. I have 10 more days before I can get a new script. I am allowed 12 Maxalts a month. It’s time to rethink things. I can’t live like this anymore.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you feeling better now?

I didn’t know that I was allowed more then 12 a month. Knowing this I can get more if I need by paying for it myself. In Canada for 12 pills is $178. We don’t have deals here at pharmacies like you do in the US.

Just the fact that I can get more is such a relief. Thank you for the enlightenment!
You should check if you can get more in Canada. My daughter’s medication is heavily regulated, including never being able to get more than a 30 day supply.

I had them as a kid and they came back in my 30s. they happen as frequently as 15 a month. I take a small dose of imatrex and I have tried tons of prophylactic meds (beta blockers, etc) I am now taking nortriptyline, roboflavin, and magnesium. I just added magnesium and it seemed to help a lot.

I wish you fellow sufferers the best. Migraine is extremely poorly understood.

I feel so sympathetic to people that suffer with headaches if any kind. My photographer friend gets migraines so terrible she literally drops to the ground. I've been there when it happens and it's gut wrenching.
It's true that we don't have plans for meds like the USA, that is one disadvantage to our otherwise pretty solid medical coverage in Canada. In most cases, coverage plans will recommend generic equivalents for Rx scripts but that is more for a cost saving to the coverage plan than for the patient care.
Lola, I really hope this gets better for you, and soon. You've been through Hell and back with this.

Recently at work, I had a migraine, it always starts with flashes in my visual field and it gets worse until I lose my sight, this phase is painless, then it's brain carnage!

However, this has happened to me about twenty times in my life, nothing comparable to you.
I don't even dare to imagine how difficult it must be to live with chronic migraines.

Did you mention Montreal? are you from Quebec!?

Back