Microphones

mmarshburn

what's your microphone of choice? Also, have you found less expensive ones you prefer?

Any type and any reason. Amp micing, vocals, etc.

I have used EV for a hundred years and have been happy. I recently got one after Christmas for $40 that was like $130, great sound. No feedback is a key issue in addition to tone.

SM 57 for presence, Sennheiser MD421 for thump

Tom

Edit- allow me to elaborate.
I use the above mics on guitar amps, plus occasionally a MXL ribbon mic.
For studio vocals, I use either an Audio Technica 4033 condenser or a Rode NT-1
For acoustic guitars, I either mono mic with the above AT4033, or stereo mic with a pair of small Octava or CAD condensers.
I keep 8 mics set up on my studio drum kit: Kick - AKG D112, Snare - SM57, Toms - small AKG clip on condensers (forget the model #), Hi-Hat - Octava condenser, Overheads - 2X Rode NT1.
For live vocals I prefer an SM-58 for myself, but I also have Sennheiser and AKG handheld vocal mics.

All of these are subject to change on a whim, I've got about 25 mics in my studio all told.
I am currently using the preamps in my Roland Studio-Capture audio interface for most things. I also have a couple channels of Presonus and M-audio preamps, plus the preamps in my Behringer mixer.
I should probably invest in a couple channels of really good preamps someday.

Last edited:
SM57 for guitar amps. Royer R-121 for guitar amps. Rode NTR for guitar amps. Sennheiser 421 for guitar amps.

SM58 for vocals, SM 7 for vocals, Neumann TLM 102 for vocals, U87 for vocals, U67 for vocals, Rode NTR for vocals...basically, whatever works for the vibe you want. And yes, major records are cut every day with 58s on vocals, including U2's Bono.

Bass/Kick - I like the Audio Technica ATM-25, Audix has a nice one, and so does AKG. I'm not into condenser mics on these instruments, but some like a U47 kind of thing.

Snare - SM57

Overheads - I like AKG 414s, but there are so many others. I never mic toms individually, I pick those up from overheads. Personal choice on this one.

Acoustic guitar - I like stereo miking these with condensers, and right now I'm into the Blue Hummingbirds, but heck, most any good condenser works. I've used Neumann small and large diaphragm mics to good effect, and of course 414s.

A great preamp can make even cheap mics sound great. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the preamp.

Les' post is in line with my thinking regarding mics.

To add to Hans' post on the preamps...there are some very good ones that aren't expensive. I fact, some of the better recording interfaces have very nice mic pres, and there are also reasonably priced 500 series modules. These mount into a "lunchbox" rack device invented by API, and some nice ones are under $500.

Lots and lots of manufacturers, including even Neve, make preamps for them.

I have a 57 I got for Christmas. I do like it a lot. I've also sunk $50 into a three pack of the DRI100 mics from Guitar Center. I really do like them. Lots of mixed reviews on them, but for what I'm doing, I'm very happy.

I'm running my Mics into a Behringer X1204USB and then into my computer DAW. I'm still learning a lot about mixing and recording, which was why I went with those cheaper Mics. I'm thinking about an MXL 990 for a first condenser. But still not sure.

Samson CL8 for recording acoustics.
This cheap, on the desk solution is all i need as i've been more than happy with the results for my acoustic tone.

Back