MEV

RedGuitars

Thread killer
Volume pot mini toggle 250K/500K.

Can someone dumb this down for me? What does it do? What are regular PRS volume pot values?

Thanks!

It changes the pickup load impedance from the pots so you can fine tune your sound depending on split mode. Electrically more resistance retains more high frequencies. Traditional values are 250K for singles and 500k for humbuckers.

Can't answer what the regular pot value is my MEV. To my ears, the 250/500 switch seems to add a "hi-fi" feel to the pickups in 500K. When in 250K position the sounds seems rounder.

As you add gain the switch becomes rather useless because of the compression.

They do this by wiring a 500k resistor in parallel when the switch is ON.
It does change the taper though.

The 250/500 switch engages a parallel resistor across the [volume] pot to change the effective pot’s resistance using the parallel resistor formula. As has been said, a 500K pot retains more highs and are typically used in humbucker-loaded guitars. The 250Ks are routine for Strats and the like. With the switch, you’ve got both.

Last edited:
The difference is subtle to say the least, also with a clean sound. Sometimes I wonder if the switch is even connected to anything at all (it is, but I would never be able to tell what setting I was in blindly). I haven’t noticed it affecting the pot taper in a substantial way.

The difference is subtle to say the least, also with a clean sound. Sometimes I wonder if the switch is even connected to anything at all (it is, but I would never be able to tell what setting I was in blindly). I haven’t noticed it affecting the pot taper in a substantial way.

sounds pretty useless.

Back