Metronome?

take one piece of his kit away every day until he can play a highhat and snare.

When I learned drums I bought a 7 piece kit and 13 cymbals (overkill, but it was the late 80s, lol). I set up the kick, snare and hi-hat. Once I got to the point I could play varying patterns and fills on those pieces - with the click - I added the ride cymbal. Once I could bounce between the HH and ride, changing up patterns, staying with the click I added a crash...

So on and so on, until EVERY part of that over-sized kit was set-up. Once I realized that I was distracted by ALL those drums and cymbals, I began subtracting back down until I had the "ideal" kit for my playing style. Ultimately, I enjoy using a 4 piece kit (a jazz config) with about 7 cymbals.

There is GREAT wisdom in what you suggested. My drummer bud, Vance, would sometimes do shows with only the minimal drum kit:

kick
snare
HH
ride
one crash

It kept the band on its toes, and kept him focused on time keeping. He studied with Mark Zonder for a little while, and admits to getting to "flashy" sometimes...

I was going to mention the sound brenner because I recently convinced my drummer to use it and it seems to be helping a lot. I was considering buying a set for the whole band as a Christmas gift. Little do they know it’s ironically more of a gift for myself lol

I’d say bring it up easy and suggest everyone play to the same click with the sound brenner. If that’s enough to get panties in a bunch then you you’ve got bigger problems than timing.

I guess I'm lucky. My drummer is very adamant about timing. He spent 8 years playing for Chairman of the Board. General who was the leader of the band was very strict about perfection. James Brown like. He will not hesitate to let me know if I am off the beat and he won't hesitate to get on himself if he's off. Has taught me a lot about musicianship

I guess I'm lucky. My drummer is very adamant about timing. He spent 8 years playing for Chairman of the Board. General who was the leader of the band was very strict about perfection. James Brown like. He will not hesitate to let me know if I am off the beat and he won't hesitate to get on himself if he's off. Has taught me a lot about musicianship

I’m of the attitude that you practice hard, rehearse easy! Maintain eye contact (at important times) when gigging and listen to one another!

Live and Die by the click. LOL. But seriously I had a drummer that wouldn't keep time so we agreed to a click track practice...pressure off...just guitar/bass click and drums. Three of those practices he was doing well at the main practices with no click! Entirely new drummer too. He had never used it learning drums but now he is happy he did, makes things easier not harder. It all depends on mindset really.

My last band had a drummer that was pretty good but he played EVERYTHING way too fast. I pointed it out and tried to reel him in but he was sooooo sure I was full off crap.

I recorded a couple of shows and made copies for everyone. To my surprise he was kind of embarrassed by it and we resolved that issue quickly.

Now our singer on the other hand..........

I'm not implying that I'm a world class player, I am not anywhere close to that but if a member refuses to improve or fix obvious issues then they are gone or I'm out. I just can't stand it.

I know. You’re right. However, I’m the new guy.

I have adjusted my expectations.......and they’re low.
If you're the new guy, maybe better to exit now? How long has the drummer been with them? Bands are too much work to not be happy(at least moderately) with who you jam with.

Back