Metal players / Extended range

Should there be an 8 string?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

Craig_Suveges

Recently picked up my SE sVn over the summer. Absolutely love it, but yet I sit wanting more. I torture myself everytime I see Mark Holcomb's 8 string monster, and begin hunting for one of those private stock unicorns of August 2016

My hope with this post is to raise the awareness of an 8 string model in the production lineup. I DREAM of one day that PRS makes one. The sheer versatility of having the low B and F# could be used for so many applications, not just metal, but for those who want an extended range instrument of such fine quality as PRS knows how to make.

Who's with me?

I'd ideally like to see an S2 seven-string. A Core version would be cool, too. PRS is absolutely not hurting for business as it is, so I wouldn't count on either of those any time soon.

An eight-string is much more niche, so I can't imagine them doing one of those even in the SE line any time soon.

Sorry to be a bummer. :oops:

Recently picked up my SE sVn over the summer. Absolutely love it, but yet I sit wanting more. I torture myself everytime I see Mark Holcomb's 8 string monster, and begin hunting for one of those private stock unicorns of August 2016

My hope with this post is to raise the awareness of an 8 string model in the production lineup. I DREAM of one day that PRS makes one. The sheer versatility of having the low B and F# could be used for so many applications, not just metal, but for those who want an extended range instrument of such fine quality as PRS knows how to make.

Who's with me?
Sorry, not me. I'm a guitar player. 6 Strings can be tuned down. I've wanted to try a 7 for years. I've played a few nice ones but never have owned one. I have absolutely no interest in an 8 string. And I have multiple reasons. More than 7 and the neck is so wide it doesn't feel like a guitar anymore. Many, if not most, 8 string players tone sucks because many even great amps fall apart on the bottom end when hit with those bass frequencies and the gain most 8 stringers use. I have more, but the feel is a deal breaker so no reason to go on.

Approach your PRS dealer. They will be able to request for a quote for you for the specs you want.

Merely 8, nah. Try 11. You know, it has been done before by PRS...

:D

Eleven? Pshaw - I’ve seen a PRS with 12 strings!!!

Sorry, not me. I'm a guitar player. 6 Strings can be tuned down. I've wanted to try a 7 for years. I've played a few nice ones but never have owned one. I have absolutely no interest in an 8 string. And I have multiple reasons. More than 7 and the neck is so wide it doesn't feel like a guitar anymore. Many, if not most, 8 string players tone sucks because many even great amps fall apart on the bottom end when hit with those bass frequencies and the gain most 8 stringers use. I have more, but the feel is a deal breaker so no reason to go on.

Neck width is the big thing for me. It took me a while to get my mind wrapped around 7, as tenuous as that wrapping may be. But that 7th is about as far as I can reasonably reach. I suspect 8 would be too much for my hands.

Eleven? Pshaw - I’ve seen a PRS with 12 strings!!!

Neck width is the big thing for me. It took me a while to get my mind wrapped around 7, as tenuous as that wrapping may be. But that 7th is about as far as I can reasonably reach. I suspect 8 would be too much for my hands.

See i thought this too when I transitioned to a 7. The wide thin profile on my SE svn was damn near seemless from my dean c450. My jackson 7 was a bit more noticeable but still easy transition.

I felt the same way when i tried an 8, but after awhile it felt comfortable.

See i thought this too when I transitioned to a 7. The wide thin profile on my SE svn was damn near seemless from my dean c450. My jackson 7 was a bit more noticeable but still easy transition.

I would never say “never” but I just can’t imagine ever getting comfortable with it. I’ve played a couple Ibaznez 8 strings in stores and they were nicer ones. Just not for me, I guess. I was really after a 7 string Monarchy Majesty for a while but that kind of cooled off.

Hope you find what you’re looking for.

remember when guitarists listed the 'chapman stick' as one of their instruments?

my homemade 7 had an extra treble string, for extra jangle in my jangle pop.

My problem is simply hand size. My friend once said I have "Billy Barty hands".

That's okay - I may not be endowed in hand size, but I make up for it in other ways. ;)

(Big a$$.)

Back