Metal pickup vs …

maxime1122

I have a Custom 24 floyd that came with the TCI metal pickups.

I find them too bright. Which PRS pickup set would “solve” that? I see the 85/15 & 58/15 set that are in stock locally. Which are better and has a fatter tone?

I’m used to a LP tone, if that can help!

59/09’s are my fav PRS pickups. I have them in multiple CU24’s and CE24’s. Though none of mine are Floyd equipped. I also have a set of M’s that have made their way into a few of my guitars currently in a SE Korean singlecut stoptail. I’m definitely not a fan of the 85/15’s as (don’t laugh) I find them to bright and brittle in a CU24. All about taste. Lots and I mean lots of peeps hear love the 85/15’s and I get it just not for my tastes. The 59/09’s for me cover 70’s & 80’s rock, hard rock and do metal well when driven.

I wouldn't go 8515 or 5815LT for what your after. Two opposite ends of the spectrums for pickups, but I wouldnt call either fat tone. PRS doesn't sell 5815 only the LT. And I don't anyone would confuse 8515 for LP tone

5909 is a good suggestion for a power PAF. 5708 for a solid PAF, but couldn't see myself pairing 5708 with a Floyd.

Maybe a set of DW tomahawks? Killer pup that PRS pairs with the sig DW CE, mix of alnico and ceramic magnets that can cover all grounds.

The value will be printed on the capacitor sleeve usually as a 3-digit number and a letter. “223” is what I would expect yours to say.

You know a trick that’s often used in preamps is to high pass a small cap to ground, like 47 pF, or even less. Try clipping a 10-47 pF cap between the middle and ground lugs of your volume pot, the opposite side of a treble bleed. It will put a small high cut filter on your guitar. Easy to remove if you don’t like it.

Vintage output pickups seem to lose some bass with a Floyd, PRS or Fender style vibrato.

I love 8K vintage paf pickups in a guitar with a fixed bridge but I think hotter pickups sound better with a Floyd or Strat inspired vibrato design.

You'd probably like a set of Dragon I pickups. But PRS doesn't make them anymore.

The John Suhr SSV and SSH+ set is comparable in output and tone to the Dragon I's. Not the same of course.

A little more organic because both pickups use alnico magnets whereas as the Dragon I bridge pickup uses ceramic.

The bridge SSH+ pickup is HOT with lots of bass but it doesn't get muddy. It's articulate and a little breathy. About 17K and sounds louder than a Duncan JB and similar to a Dragon I in terms of volume and output.

Last edited:
The tremonti bridge humbucker is way fatter but also super hot. The 8515 sounds brighter to me than the metal pickup or as bright with less bass and more midrange. If you’re open to non-PRS pickups, I’m partial to Seymour Duncan myself

The tremonti bridge humbucker is way fatter but also super hot. The 8515 sounds brighter to me than the metal pickup or as bright with less bass and more midrange. If you’re open to non-PRS pickups, I’m partial to Seymour Duncan myself
Me too.

A Duncan JB as the bridge pickup and a Duncan 59B for the neck pickup is another set that reminds me of the Dragon I set.

Sounds great for British Blues and still clean enough for classic 50's/60's American Blues.

Probably not a metal set but a killer set for overdriven classic rock tones!

Great for Jeff Beck songs like Freeway Jam and Cause We've Ended As Lovers, because a Duncan JB is what Jeff used to record those songs.

The JB can be a little bright.

It has a polished Alnico 5 magnet. I prefer a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet which softens the bright edge.

I put a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet in mine to help with that and I always roll down the guitar's tone control when using the bridge pickup alone.

Also put a roughcast Alnico 4 magnet in the 59B neck pickup to get more of the tone of the Dragon I neck pickup. Gets a wonderful vintage paf kind of tone but strong so it can keep up with the high output JB.

Last edited:
Me too.

A Duncan JB as the bridge pickup and a Duncan 59B for the neck pickup is another set that reminds me of the Dragon I set.

Sounds great for British Blues and still clean enough for classic 50's/60's American Blues.

Probably not a metal set but a killer set for overdriven classic rock tones!

Great for Jeff Beck songs like Freeway Jam and Cause We've Ended As Lovers, because a Duncan JB is what Jeff used to record those songs.

The JB can be a little bright.

It has a polished Alnico 5 magnet. I prefer a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet which softens the bright edge.

I put a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet in mine to help with that and I always roll down the guitar's tone control when using the bridge pickup alone.

Also put a roughcast Alnico 4 magnet in the 59B neck pickup to get more of the tone of the Dragon I neck pickup. Gets a wonderful vintage paf kind of tone but strong so it can keep up with the high output JB.
Sweet!

I have a Custom 24 floyd that came with the TCI metal pickups.

I find them too bright. Which PRS pickup set would “solve” that? I see the 85/15 & 58/15 set that are in stock locally. Which are better and has a fatter tone?

I’m used to a LP tone, if that can help!

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? I have the metal pickups - very versatile, despite the name, but "too bright" never occurred to me. But, to each their own - there is a pickup model that is almost revered here. I tried it in two different CU24 - and I hated it. It was like an icepick in my ears. After the first guitar, I kind of dismissed my feelings because a lot of people whose opinions I value really like them. But I tried another one about a year later and...same thing. So the \m/ just may not be for you - but I'd still give those screws a little twist before I dismissed them completely.

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? I have the metal pickups - very versatile, despite the name, but "too bright" never occurred to me. But, to each their own - there is a pickup model that is almost revered here. I tried it in two different CU24 - and I hated it. It was like an icepick in my ears. After the first guitar, I kind of dismissed my feelings because a lot of people whose opinions I value really like them. But I tried another one about a year later and...same thing. So the \m/ just may not be for you - but I'd still give those screws a little twist before I dismissed them completely.
Completely agree

I Very Much Agree On The Pickup Height. It Takes Some Time To Get It Right And Then Of Course You Forget What It Sounded Like Prior. It Also Takes Time To Get Your Ears Adjusted And Settled In On The Present Height. It Is Worth It If You Are Patient And Take Good Notes/Record Each Phase Of Adjustments For Reference. I Would Always Try This Before Spending Any Cash As It May Not Be Necessary At All.

Yes, they are the uncovered metal pickups!

I already played with the pickup height as this can affect the tone quite a lot, but its still thin to me. Other PRS pickups can be even brighter from your experiences!

I researched quite a lot on different pickups and ordered a set of Bare Knuckle Holy Diver pickups. They are supposed to be warmer and help tame a bright guitar. Will try them out when I get them!

Thanks!

Yes, they are the uncovered metal pickups!

I already played with the pickup height as this can affect the tone quite a lot, but its still thin to me. Other PRS pickups can be even brighter from your experiences!

I researched quite a lot on different pickups and ordered a set of Bare Knuckle Holy Diver pickups. They are supposed to be warmer and help tame a bright guitar. Will try them out when I get them!

Thanks!
Great choice on the BK pickups. I hope it works out for you.

I would certainly be interested in the \m/ bridge pickup if you decide on parting with it. Message me if so.

Back