Mesa/Boogie joins Gibson

That's not a half bad idea!

Oh no, no, no! I don't need my car to parallel park for me, or my truck to back up my camper and I sure as h@ll don't need my amp to eq for me. Besides, after dealing with Gibson's tronical tuners on my SG stripping after just 2 years, I can't imagine burying those things inside an amp with the heat from the tubes cooking them for hours on end.

I went in to buy a Baretta (DUH, LOL) and ended up with a Pacer that was every bit it’s equal as a shredder, plus HSS. I loved that guitar and played the crap out of it! Until my wife had complications during pregnancy and I sold almost all my guitars to pay medical bills and save my credit from disaster.

Yeah! I was just a kid in those days and it was a few years before I took up guitar, but I was super into hard rock/metal even then. As I recall Kramer's big score was the EVH endorsement. And I think that he never actually played like, a Pacer or a Beretta... they just made him a copy of his Frankenstrat, or something?

IIRC he built his own guitar(s) out of Kramer parts in their shop. Maybe played a few factory-built guitars too from time to time. The Baretta was the closest production model to what he played.

I have had a LOT of Gibsons over the years, The last one, a great older 335, left a few years back. Having found something much better, I do not really miss it. I understand their new guitars, at least at the "custom" level, are great. I just have no need to go back. (Among other things, some PRS Singlecuts that are better than any Les Paul I ever owned, And, surprisingly, a Hamer Monaco with custom pickups that is better---IMO----than the original '56 Goldtop I had for nearly 2 decades. Blasphemy!).
I need to take an inventory of the many pieces of Mesa gear I have. More than I have any justifiable reason to keep. Maybe I should cash in a few (or several) But I am not of a mind to be shipping big hunks of iron and glass across the country.

I have had a LOT of Gibsons over the years, The last one, a great older 335, left a few years back. Having found something much better, I do not really miss it. I understand their new guitars, at least at the "custom" level, are great. I just have no need to go back. (Among other things, some PRS Singlecuts that are better than any Les Paul I ever owned, And, surprisingly, a Hamer Monaco with custom pickups that is better---IMO----than the original '56 Goldtop I had for nearly 2 decades. Blasphemy!).
I need to take an inventory of the many pieces of Mesa gear I have. More than I have any justifiable reason to keep. Maybe I should cash in a few (or several) But I am not of a mind to be shipping big hunks of iron and glass across the country.
I've owned an SG, but I never found a Les Paul that agreed with me. I considered giving them another shot a few years ago when they redid the lineup... but then 'Play Authentic' happened and I was too disgusted with them.

Besides, I have something arriving this week that'll scratch my singlecut itch... ;)

I'm confused... :confused:

It's a local joke. We have a dealership named O'Neill's Buick some miles south of us. Close to O'Neills used to be a nightclub that was notorious for serving bad beer and food that had bad reviews before Yelp was created. The joke was, "Just don't visit that bar. Otherwise you'll drive off with a Buick." We knew what that meant.

Nowadays, whenever we see a Buick commercial, we're reminded of O'Neill's.

Now, off to clean up. It's been a few days since I've showered and smelling like yesterday's pizza isn't one of my strong points. (I had planned on doing some winter gardening, but that didn't pan out...)

Last edited:
A very sad day for me. I totally understand why the 75 year old owner would want to sell & and I also understand why Gibson would want to buy them. I have a Mesa Boogie California Tweed Amp & it is simply the best amp I have ever owned. The value in Mesa is in its culture and employees including the owner. There is a good chance that the culture will be changed by Gibson and that many of the employees will leave and some may even want to start up a competing business. Big companmy cultures and small company cultures typically don't mix well. Change for sure is coming quickly to the Mesa Finance, HR and Sales functions then it will spread to all other functions. I for one will be buying a replacement set of Mesa Tubes very shortly even though I don't need them right now.

I hope my assesment is incorrect. As others have mentioned, I wish PRS could have acquired them. It would have been a much better cultural fit.

Yep, folks worry about the govt.,, BIg Brother is Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and Google. Know where you are and what you're doing. Seriously, they know when you get out of your car. I'll stop!!

Back