Meet The New Boss..

Everyone's focusing on The Who, but noone has of yet picked up on the potential Ramones "sedation" angle...

Congrats Les, I think there may be an HXDA in my future based upon all of the good stuff posted here about them. It's great how consistent PRS stuff is that you were able to comfortably let go of your baby knowing that you could always get one just as good back!

Everyone's focusing on The Who, but noone has of yet picked up on the potential Ramones "sedation" angle...

Congrats Les, I think there may be an HXDA in my future based upon all of the good stuff posted here about them. It's great how consistent PRS stuff is that you were able to comfortably let go of your baby knowing that you could always get one just as good back!

Ha! I love the Ramones reference!!

Thanks, Carl!

You are so right, the amps are very consistent, and I got my tones right away.

I am going to play some PRS amps very soon. Working on setting an appointment.

I am going to play some PRS amps very soon. Working on setting an appointment.

I'm pretty confident that you will love them. And I'd like to make a few suggestions for when you try out a single channel model (though I'd probably do the same thing with a 2 channel one so...):

Setting the amp up to get the most out of it with each guitar is crucial. Take a few minutes to experiment with the range of each control, while at the same time, using the volume and tone controls on the guitar to see how they affect the sound and the settings.

If you've watched Paul go through one of his amp demos, you pretty much know that the controls do a LOT and you can make the amp do a lot of different things well.

When you're close to getting the tones you like, turn your guitar's volume to about halfway, and set the amp up for a good, crunchy rhythm sound. Then, when you roll the guitar volume up, you'll have a lot of gain, and when you roll it down, you're clean.

That way, you can see how the amp will really perform on a stage or in the studio, as it's controlled by the volume on your guitar. If you're a "turn the guitar up all the way and leave it there" player, you'll be surprised at the nuance you can get with this technique with a single channel amp! There's no real need for two channels.

Be sure to try the master volume and gain controls at different settings, too, from whisper quiet to full on. You'll really get to hear the variety the amp is capable of. These amps can do incredible clean tones, especially with the master full up and using the gain control to set volume, although I tend to use my guitar volume for that, but sometimes if I want to record a true clean sound, that's how it's done.

You'll find that the treble control is very powerful in shaping the tone..so twiddle it. I usually have to roll mine off, but if you like bright, it's there.

These amps are not "find the sweet spot," leave it there and forget it, like most amps on the market. They do a great many things well.

Also...turn your guitar volume all the way off at some point and just hear how dead quiet these amps are (that way you don't hear pickup noise). It's very, very quiet. Why is this so important? Because a note coming out of a noiseless background allows you to play more subtly without having to overcome a noise floor. Everything sounds better without the typical hum and buzz that plenty of really good amps still have (as an example, my Mark V, which is a very fine amp, had a much higher noise floor, even clean).

Finally, if you have a favorite pedal, take it with you and use it with the amp at some point to see how well the amp works with it. And of course, use your own guitar.

Anyway, I hope these tips help a little. Happy hunting! :top:

Last edited:
Back