ME replacement pickup suggestions

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
I was lucky enough to find an ME 1. It will be here next week and I am thinking about replacing the RPs. 11top recommended a 57/08 & 59/09 combo which is certainly at the top my list but I thought I would ask for suggestions that were easier to obtain in different aesthetic combinations. I mostly play rock to heavier rock music although I do dabble in blues and I love chime like cleans.

I was lucky enough to find an ME 1. It will be here next week and I am thinking about replacing the RPs. 11top recommended a 57/08 & 59/09 combo which is certainly at the top my list but I thought I would ask for suggestions that were easier to obtain in different aesthetic combinations. I mostly play rock to heavier rock music although I do dabble in blues and I love chime like cleans.

I have 5909 bridge and 8515 neck in my McCarty right now.

I absolutely LOVE the 8515 neck pickup and 5909 has been my favorite bridge pickup for a long time BUT I've been getting pretty intimate with this guitar lately and I'm starting to want change.

I have neck screwed down level with ring and bridge is about half way between ring and strings or maybe a little bit higher.

I'm tired of the two pickups not being balanced. It would drive me totally nuts in a live situation so I'm going to switch bridge PU

My first thought was 5310 which I have a few of but I'm afraid it might still be unbalanced so im thinking the "T" reissue I have might be a little better choice.

I've got stickered T and B in my 89 so I already know I like the pickup.

I think I'm going to do it but that 8515 is going nowhere!

I have one of Steve’s old ME I SCTs. 59/09s in both positions are fabulous for rock and heavier rock!

For bridge-neck pickup balance, I don't think there's better than a set of covered 59/09s. They're a bit hot and a bit rawky compared to the 57/08 and 58/15LT sets. With the 59/09 set, the neck pickup is wound a little cooler and a little brighter than the bridge pickup, and for my 1980's - 2000's hard rock and metal tastes, that is perfect. I put 59/09s in my ME1 after having the PTC put a set of 57/08s in it, and that was totally the right decision.

It would be a done deal if I could easily find a set of covered 59/09s or one of each that matched the guitar. Availability is the main concern.

I, too, have a 59/09 & 57/08 covered combo in a Cu22. I absolutely love that combo. I should have done that to the ME II I had. I didn't love the RPs, and sold it during the "Great Purge of 2019". :(

I, too, have a 59/09 & 57/08 covered combo in a Cu22. I absolutely love that combo. I should have done that to the ME II I had. I didn't love the RPs, and sold it during the "Great Purge of 2019". :(

I did so love the RP in the neck position of that guitar. It’s still one of the best sounding guitars I’ve ever played.

I only have 59/09's on one guitar... my Modern Eagle.

i-ZhRRGkK.jpg

The Vintage Bass is the pup iv ever heard and its the neck pup. That pup is so good on Rock or Hard Rock it made a Metal bridge pup die hard like me forget guitars even have a bridge pup . If you have a Core series in mahogany you should really try that pup . AMAZING

I think the RP is nice in the neck, but am considering putting an \m/ in the bridge of my ME1. Possibly only because that's the only readily available PRS pickup I don't have in anything, and I do love me some Metal.

The 59/09 is a solid choice, just had the Dirty 100 out today and that pickup in there is glorious.

It would be a done deal if I could easily find a set of covered 59/09s or one of each that matched the guitar. Availability is the main concern.

They sell brand new 59/09 sets at Sweetwater.

Oh, rats, they don’t have covers. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back