McCartys... Let's see 'em!

2008_McCarty_p37AhTzpNJDbiDPefLvuyt.JPG
My most recent.
GoldieandTobi.jpg
The gold one sounded unbelievable. Still have seller's remorse after 10 years.

Body.jpg
My first Ted McCarty
McBlacburst010.jpg
Had this one since 2005. It's a '97
PRS.jpg
Looked cool, didn't like how it sounded.
Tortoise.jpg
Selling this one
Vintage_Yellow.jpg
Another current one.

There are a few others I never took pics of and sold.

Last edited:
2008_McCarty_p37AhTzpNJDbiDPefLvuyt.JPG
My most recent.
GoldieandTobi.jpg
The gold one sounded unbelievable. Still have seller's remorse after 10 years.

Body.jpg
My first Ted McCarty
McBlacburst010.jpg
Had this one since 2005. It's a '97
PRS.jpg
Looked cool, didn't like how it sounded.

Missing the Vintage Yellow I bought a year ago. I'll take a pic and edit later.

There are a few others I never took pics of and sold.
Lovely selection!

I don't know what drives the decisions to use 'Bone' and 'Vintage Tuners' on these guitars - it could be the 'market' that pushes companies to go 'back' to Bone, back to standard tuners, back to 'Nitro' finishes. Tradition can override something that may be 'technically' superior alternative in the eyes of the buying market and are sceptical of any 'claims' of modern materials, modern technology etc.
I forgot about the paint. Call me crazy but I prefer the finish in the 2010’s prior to nitro change in 2020. The new nitro is super soft. Swirls super easy. Easy to dent and scratch. For a guy that doesn’t like guitars to relic it was an interesting choice to change the paint. For tone purposes I suppose. And some here will swear by the finish making a difference. I personally would say they sounded amazing prior. I don’t recall anybody saying this guitar is great but a nitro finish would make it amazing. I’d rather have something that will last longer.

Because you have both... any thoughts on the different saddle types? I'm liking the triangular shape, although they seem to be less common.
For my playing, using a lot of palm mutes and gain, the two do not show much difference. It is minor enough I had to look back at the pictures to see which guitar had which saddle. Tuners were a bigger issue... Which is why I purchased PRS locking vintage tuners for the SC594 two weeks after I got it.

Last edited:
I agree. Some have commented that they didn’t like the block birds. I think they’re cool. However, there was a problem, and the PS team didn’t want to replace them. And while I like the blocks, I do like the replacement better (but just my opinion).
I agree. Some have commented that they didn’t like the block birds. I think they’re cool. However, there was a problem, and the PS team didn’t want to replace them. And while I like the blocks, I do like the replacement better (but just my opinion).
It's great both ways, but I agree, the replacement is incredible looking.

I'll echo the thoughts for phase III.
Look at how much time and effort was put into them after the phase II.
Then they were tweaked for slightly better performance.
Why go through all that effort and not use them? Weight? Cost?
Is the vintage tuner better? I don't think so.

I don’t have them on a McCarty. But I love them on my Santana.

Isn't your oven big enough?

Dude, that’s his dog you’re talking about.

Sadly no. But I have a king sized bed and lots of quilts. It’s not weird at all to get under the covers with your guitar right?

Phew! I wondered where this was going.

Last edited:
Back