McCarty vs Paul's vs Santana vs...

One would say just buy a Les Paul....BUT....from a Les Paul owner and lover guess what guitar I play more. My PRS McCarty. Its just a overall better preforming axe.

In case I haven't said it before, I've played quite a few Les Pauls recently, in addition to a '99 CU22, '95 CU22, '11(?) Throwback (2 different ones), '22 SS, and a '14 CU24. I liked the Throwbacks the best, but they were all better than the Les Pauls. The LPs are rather thick in the body to say the least.

In case I haven't said it before, I've played quite a few Les Pauls recently, in addition to a '99 CU22, '95 CU22, '11(?) Throwback (2 different ones), '22 SS, and a '14 CU24. I liked the Throwbacks the best, but they were all better than the Les Pauls. The LPs are rather thick in the body to say the least.
Yup even Les Pauls are thicker than a 594 or OG McCarty too. The 594s and McCarty's are just a great blend of both PRS and Vintage feel.

Thought I would update this thread and let everyone know that I ordered a brand new satin cherry Vela today with a modest discount from my local PRS dealer. Should be here early next week. I'll post a picture when it gets here! After listening to countless PRS YouTube demos, info from this thread and a few others, the Vela just spoke to me. I was surprised I shifted from the McCarty influenced models, but it seems to be the tone I was searching for. (Plus, I decided to keep my Rick Beato LPS P90, so there's that.)

I was seriously looking for a Special Semi-Hollow or an Eagle V. But I really need to hit some milestones in my business first, so when you see me post an Eagle V or SSH picture, you'll know I've hit those targets!

I also picked up a Helix LT to put in front of my Genzler stacked bass cabs. (I'm also an aspiring bass player.)

I'm ready to have some fun!

Thought I would update this thread and let everyone know that I ordered a brand new satin cherry Vela today with a modest discount from my local PRS dealer. Should be here early next week. I'll post a picture when it gets here! After listening to countless PRS YouTube demos, info from this thread and a few others, the Vela just spoke to me. I was surprised I shifted from the McCarty influenced models, but it seems to be the tone I was searching for. (Plus, I decided to keep my Rick Beato LPS P90, so there's that.)

I was seriously looking for a Special Semi-Hollow or an Eagle V. But I really need to hit some milestones in my business first, so when you see me post an Eagle V or SSH picture, you'll know I've hit those targets!

I also picked up a Helix LT to put in front of my Genzler stacked bass cabs. (I'm also an aspiring bass player.)

That is awesome! I never played a Vela till a few months ago. I tried it without plugging it in (was looking more for how it fealt) and it did not make me jump so I hung it up on the wall again. The salesman said "you have got to plug that in", so I did! That was when it hit me with a WOW!! I will get one eventually and congrats on following your ear!!! Best of luck on hitting those business goals, an ME V is in my future as well!!!!

I would have to agree with everyone that posted previously and being a recent purchaser of a Vela myself, I have to agree, the "feel" was ok, but the sounds surprised me. Like I said in my other post, it did take a few dates with the Vela to find the appeal and love and now I have to say, she's a keeper in the harem! Look forward to your posted pics and thoughts on your new Vela!

I’m late to the party but I love how the forum members really pull together on these type of threads. A lot of great recommendations made. The Vela is great choice and a bucket list guitar for me someday. Looking forward to the NGD post. Rock on

Congrats! Velas are pretty awesome.

Great choice. have the same feeling after watching so many videos and demos but the Vela hasn’t arrived to my city yet, I know I will be in trouble once it lands ;)

Yes!! It's here! I was expecting to get overwhelmed by fumes from the finish like I did when I opened the case on my recently purchased Gibson with the same type of finish (Feb '22 man. date). I was pleasantly surprised that there were no fumes at all! This one has a build date of May '22.

F05C19D2-1B47-4A27-B0B2-31C9E14C9EAC_1_201_a.jpeg

Is it ok to go ahead and oil the fretboard ( MusicNomad F-One Fretboard Oil) and wax the body/neck with Renaissance Wax? Or should I give it some time to breath and cure?

I can't speak to your wax question, but if the fret board does not seem dry, then do not oil!

oh, interesting. How do I tell? That's subjective isn't it? My Gibson needed oil for sure. It had a little bit of fret sprout before I oiled it. Now it's fine. I was "taught" to oil, let it soak in, then wipe after a few hours, then oil again and let it sit overnight before final wipe, then let it dry. Sounds like you are suggesting that isn't the best way?

oh, interesting. How do I tell? That's subjective isn't it? My Gibson needed oil for sure. It had a little bit of fret sprout before I oiled it. Now it's fine. I was "taught" to oil, let it soak in, then wipe after a few hours, then oil again and let it sit overnight before final wipe, then let it dry. Sounds like you are suggesting that isn't the best way?
Here is a good thread on this topic: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-tung-oil-or-fretboard-conditioner-advice-please.52577.

Also a lot of good information on the web of course, but you have to separate the weed from the chafe! Exec summary is, only oil when it seems dry and when you do so, do NOT over oil.

Yes!! It's here! I was expecting to get overwhelmed by fumes from the finish like I did when I opened the case on my recently purchased Gibson with the same type of finish (Feb '22 man. date). I was pleasantly surprised that there were no fumes at all! This one has a build date of May '22.

Nice red! Congrats on your purchase! I don't oil mine unless needed. PRS are pretty awesome in that respect, IMO.

Looking great!!! Congrats and Enjoy!!!

It’s interesting that you mentioned no fumes at all with your new guitar..
I bought a brand new Wood Library DGT a year ago from John Mann. He’d just gotten it in his store and when I took it home I realized the same thing … the finish had been cured properly! Paul and his 300 employees really get how to build just superb guitars…..

Back