McCarty vs McCarty 594

Andy80

So I just want to get people's ideas if you have played both, (or not, whatever), is there an appreciable difference between these 2 guitars? In terms of tone and feel erc. The differences as far as I can tell are:

Scale length
Bridge
Control layout
Neck carve

Are the bodies different thicknesses? Weight?

I am having a tough time deciding between these 2. I love the 25" scale but how well does the bridge intonate?

Last edited:
I would not worry a bit about intonation with a 25” scale PRS.
Body thickness and weight are pretty much the same.
I would choose based to the degree to which I had a scale bias (I have a bit of a preference for the tone of the shorter scale, but that is personal) and then how much I cared about controls for each pickup (I don’t much, but there are times I appreciate two volumes - like the DGT).

Main differences I find between these two are the neck carve, and control layout. I'm a big fan of the pattern carve, finding the pattern vintage thicker for my tastes but not uncomfortable. I prefer the McCarty control layout too, and the sound, more "PRS" imo

I have an older 2001 McRosie, and a 594 Soapy, so not quite what you're looking at.
That being said they both play and feel wonderful.
Like others I find the PV carve on the 594 a little more comfy.
I like the simplicity of the control layout on the McRosie a bit more, but as already stated, the 594 is more versatile.

I think at this point, my choice between the two new guitars would go to the 594. But... you could not lose with either.

The Pattern Vintage neck is incredibly comfortable. I'm also a Wide Fat fan. Pattern not so much. It's amazing how much difference a neck carve makes. The two-piece bridge is designed for more vintage tones, and it delivers. I love the wraparound bridge, also. The 594 is the total package and no other PRS or other guitar for that matter will give you the same recipe. The 594 rocks. I've got four of them and am drooling over a fifth. Play one and you're doomed. You've been warned.

The Pattern Vintage neck is incredibly comfortable. I'm also a Wide Fat fan. Pattern not so much. It's amazing how much difference a neck carve makes. The two-piece bridge is designed for more vintage tones, and it delivers. I love the wraparound bridge, also. The 594 is the total package and no other PRS or other guitar for that matter will give you the same recipe. The 594 rocks. I've got four of them and am drooling over a fifth. Play one and you're doomed. You've been warned.

I have haha, it's an amazing guitar, and I'm strongly leaning toward the 594 at the moment. I thought Pattern was the new wide fat? I guess not

I have haha, it's an amazing guitar, and I'm strongly leaning toward the 594 at the moment. I thought Pattern was the new wide fat? I guess not
I’ve heard that, too, but they don’t feel interchangeable to me. This may be sacrilege, but I can play any of my 594’s comfortably up and down the neck, but my Special Semihollow? Nope. It’s very uncomfortable to me, so I’m going to let it go. It’s an amazing guitar, but it just isn’t playable for me.

I’ve heard that, too, but they don’t feel interchangeable to me. This may be sacrilege, but I can play any of my 594’s comfortably up and down the neck, but my Special Semihollow? Nope. It’s very uncomfortable to me, so I’m going to let it go. It’s an amazing guitar, but it just isn’t playable for me.

Agreed, I too tried the Special SH a few different times, and while it sounds incredible, I found the neck a bit weird to play. You won't have trouble finding a new home for that one!

So I just want to get people's ideas if you have played both, (or not, whatever), is there an appreciable difference between these 2 guitars? In terms of tone and feel erc. The differences as far as I can tell are:

Scale length
Bridge
Control layout
Neck carve

Are the bodies different thicknesses? Weight?

I am having a tough time deciding between these 2. I love the 25" scale but how well does the bridge intonate?

The McCarty models were my first favorite PRS model. But now I much prefer the 594 version due to the Pattern Vintage neck carve. The second most important thing to me is the shorter scale length.

(Note: I'm talking about the doublecut version of the 594's which are thicker than a Custom 24 but thinner than a McCarty 594 Singlecut. I prefer the thinner 594 doublecut over the thicker 594 singlecut.)

A nice 594 would give me a McCarty trifecta.:cool:

The 594s, McCarty Singlecut and the upcoming McCarty will be a tetrarchy. The other guitars may resent this, stage a revolution, and put together a politburo of equals who share, and share alike.

Of course, what they share is a guitar slave, namely, me.

“Slave, change my strings.”

“Slave, it’s time for me to be cleaned and shined up.”

“Slave, buy me a different amp, I’m bored with this one.”

“Slave, it’s time for a new humidipak and also start humidifying the room I sleep in.” Etc.

It’s really a lot of work for one slave to do.

The 594s, McCarty Singlecut and the upcoming McCarty will be a tetrarchy. The other guitars may resent this, stage a revolution, and put together a politburo of equals who share, and share alike.

Of course, what they share is a guitar slave, namely, me.

“Slave, change my strings.”

“Slave, it’s time for me to be cleaned and shined up.”

“Slave, buy me a different amp, I’m bored with this one.”

“Slave, it’s time for a new humidipak and also start humidifying the room I sleep in.” Etc.

It’s really a lot of work for one slave to do.
Mine keeps insisting I learn new positions.
I mean it's not that I don't like change and stuff, but sometimes it kinda hurts!:rolleyes:

Back