McCarty vs Custom 22/24

gpasq

Hi,

New to the PRS family, and looking at getting my first PRS core. Can someone tell me the differences between the McCarty and Custom 24?

Thanks in advance!

The McCarty has the same 25 inch scale length as the customs. The McCarty headstock is at a steeper angle than the Customs. Also, the McCarty has a slightly thicker body and a one piece bridge. The McCarty only has a wide fat neck profile (or whatever it's called now). I have a McCarty and a few customs. I think the McCarty has a nice, fat sound. Part of that may have to be due to the solid rosewood neck.

McCarty pickups are more PAF like, Custom 24's are more modern.

Ah interesting. Thank you both! I dig the PAF sound, so that might be the way to go. I'll have to go listen to a couple at Wildwood.

You can put any PU in any guitar, find the one that feels best in your hands regardless of model.

Early Mccarty had Mccarty pickups then switched to 5708s in 2008. Now the new ones have 5815s

Cu24s can be found with several different pickup options if buying used. T&Bs HFS /VB 5708s 5909s 8515s 5815s Ms

Love both of your choices! The Mccarty (I have two, one with P90's and the other has McCarty pups) both are go-to guitars and provide a ton of tone options for you! Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Back