McCarty vs. CU 22

DougUSMC

Perpetual Practicer
Ok, weird question, so please bear with me and be gentle!

I'm surfing through my daily addiction (Reverb feed), when I came across an interesting CU22. After looking at it a bit, I thought "I've never seen a CU22 w/a hardtail, I wonder if that's really a McCarty?".

Here's the CU22 in question, I have questions out to the seller, and I'm probably going to make an offer, so if any of you buy it I *will* hunt you down... ;)

9KQAfAk.png

Here's my CU22:

kdpFDd1.png

Is it me, or is that just a McCarty w/a Custom TRC?

Thanks for the reply @WEDGE, I'm actually interested in it *because* it's a hard tail. Does anyone know how to tell the difference b/w a McCarty and a Cu22 from pictures?

Thanks for the reply @WEDGE, I'm actually interested in it *because* it's a hard tail. Does anyone know how to tell the difference b/w a McCarty and a Cu22 from pictures?

Truss rod cover and vintage tuning machines.

McCarty’s didn’t get locking tuners until 2015, and by that point Customs had a 5 way blade.

There’s also the body and peg head width, but if you can eyeball that from a picture I’d be impressed.

Last edited:
Y'all are right. It's a Custom. The McCarty would have vintage tuners.

I had a line on a local CU 22 on Craigs a long time ago. Stoptail as well (my fav). But I found out it had a headstock snap/repair so I balked.
It was beautiful, as is the one you are looking at.

Ok, weird question, so please bear with me and be gentle!

I'm surfing through my daily addiction (Reverb feed), when I came across an interesting CU22. After looking at it a bit, I thought "I've never seen a CU22 w/a hardtail, I wonder if that's really a McCarty?".

Here's the CU22 in question, I have questions out to the seller, and I'm probably going to make an offer, so if any of you buy it I *will* hunt you down... ;)

9KQAfAk.png

Here's my CU22:

kdpFDd1.png

Is it me, or is that just a McCarty w/a Custom TRC?

The CU22 has a thinner body. It used to be that they also had different pickups. And of course, there's the trem. They're different enough for it to be worth having both,

Back