McCarty vs 57/08 pickups?

I have McCarty`s in my SAS, and 57/08`s in my CE 24.Both great, but 2 different animals.

For some reason I couldn't bond with the Mccarty bridge although I did like the neck pickup.

My Mccarty now has 8515s, MUCH better now!

I have 5708s in my ce24 and I like those. Perhaps I should give the Mccarty s another go.

Thanks guys but can you please describe the differences in sound?

I don't have McCarty pickups but I have lots of guitars with 57/08s. The best way I can describe them is clear and even. I can hear every note ring - even when heavily overdriven. I find my lead sound is VERY smooth. Clean, I can get a nice soft tone or dig in and get a little grit. The split is awesome. While sounding like an S or T style pickup, it is a sound that is very useable. Again, I would say even in its frequency response. They are not bland or generic sounding. There is a complexity to the tone that is exceptionally musical and pleasant. They sound very organic....

Hope that helps in SOME way....

I've had several of the older McCartys, and 4 or 5 with the 57/08s. Both are super-nice pickups, but I prefer the 57/08s and here's why: The 57/08s are both more clear and open/3D, but at the same time have a vintage style thing that drives an amp set clean or "transition between clean and distortion" extremely well.

The 57/08s also seem to respond really well to the volume and tone pots, and since I use those all the time, they're a big improvement (for me).

Of course, none of this means anything without context. I play vintage-style, single channel, PRS amps. Any number of styles, but my favorites are rock and blues, not so much the highest-gain stuff.

Has anyone compared McCarty and 57/08 pickups?
I have actually played a 57 les Paul and own an sc 245 25th anniversary issue PRS the Les Paul has a slightly more mellow tone and breaks up slightly earlier than the 57/08's I find the 57/08's slightly brighter and able to produce a more distinct clean tone but when pushed through a set of 6L6 tubes nothing growls quite like the les Paul with that being said the 57/08's are as close as I have come to that warmth and sustain of the 57 les Paul - PRS has done a fine job of replicating what even Gibson can't do today

Back