McCarty Singlecut 594 for rock/metal?

Z_137

Hello, all!

My first post on this forum, and I'm happy to be here! I have always loved PRS Guitars, and have owned a few in the last 5-10 years. In my opinion they are the best guitars on the market....everything about them.

My question is probably stupid, so I apologize in advance.

I own a stock core McCarty SC 594. Absolutely love the guitar. I haven't played in a band for a few years, but a couple buddies of mine asked me if I wanted to join their band, and I've been strongly considering it. I hate comparing to other bands, but just for reference I would say they have a sound similar to Coheed & Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Mastodon, Tool, etc. A concept rock/metal band with heavy, melodic guitars, and driving, aggressive riffs.

Was considering dropping some hotter pups in the McCarty, and was wondering if the guitar would be suitable for this style of music? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I've heard the McCarty 594 is not a good guitar for rock/metal. I've always considered the McCarty SC 594 to be a better version of a Les Paul, which I know a lot of rock/metal bands who use LP's. I've also heard a McCarty SC 594 doesn't handle low tunings that well due to the shorter scale length, but again I know bands who use LP's that tune to Drop C, and Drop B without any issues. The band I'm considering joining mainly play in Drop D, but has some songs in Drop C. Would the 594 SC handle the drop c tunings?

In a nutshell I guess I just want to know if I put hotter pups in my SC 594 if it would be a suitable guitar for rock/metal, and if it would be able to handle drop c tunings? If the guitar is versatile enough.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks!

Absolutely! I dropped a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich is one of my 594s. Love those pickups. Also put a 59/09 in the bridge on one of them, too. My favorite PRS pickup.
Awesome! Don't know much about those Suhr pickups, I'll check them out! Thanks!

PRS guitars are perfect for metal. That’s what I use mine for.
I leave all my pickups stock and let my amps do all the dirty work.
Oh! I have a 00 Singlecut tuned down to B Standard. Drop C is no problem.
Sounds great! I was just concerned about the short scale length being an issue. I kind of figured the 594 would handle drop tunings since a Les Paul does. I know the Les Pau scale length is a little longer, but barely. Thanks!

As stated above give those pickups a chance before replacing them. See how they fit with you
As stated above give those pickups a chance before replacing them. See how they fit with your setup.
Don't worry about the guitar or the pickups, just focus on the amp.
I will for sure give the stock pickups a chance before switching them out....maybe I won't switch them out after all. I need to get an amp with a bit more gain before making the decision. Right now I just have a Fender Twin. I just know the stock pups in the 594 are more vintage voiced. Figured having hotter pickups would be better for the rock/metal application. Thanks for the replies!

I have both a stock SC 594 (D standard) and DC 594 (E standard) and the pickups are just fine for the type of stuff you mention. I play similar music (Mastadon, Deftones, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Bad Religion, etc.) and they can handle it all day long. My amp is a Peavey 6505+ and I use a Dirty Tree boost where needed. Honestly, my amp has so much gain I do not notice any issues with the pickup output. I also have an LTD EC-1000T which I keep in Dropped C, with stock Seymour Duncans. The McCarty's sound much better than the LTD, with better clarity and punch.

Several people on the forums told me to give the SC 594 a shot when I was on the fence and I could not be more happy. The SC should be able to meet your needs, though I did not see what amp you are using

There’s a guy on YouTube named Leon Todd that does drop C on his SC245 all day. Yours will do just fine.

My recommendation: get your amp figured out first. Then if you still need more tightness or output, look at a good boost or EQ pedal to put up front. If you still can’t get what you want (or hate pedals), look at different pickups.

Gotcha!

Are you really worrying about a guitar that is the best clone of a Les Paul and you want to play metal into a Fender? ;-)
I had a Bogner Uberschall that I used in my previous band, but sold it right before the pandemic hit. Still had the Twin, and would just jam at my house through that. Started playing some cleaner music. Didn't have the 594 while I had the Uber, so I was never able to pair them. Looking for a new high gain amp as we speak.

Playing metal through a Twin would be interesting....lol

Hello, all!

My first post on this forum, and I'm happy to be here! I have always loved PRS Guitars, and have owned a few in the last 5-10 years. In my opinion they are the best guitars on the market....everything about them.

My question is probably stupid, so I apologize in advance.

I own a stock core McCarty SC 594. Absolutely love the guitar. I haven't played in a band for a few years, but a couple buddies of mine asked me if I wanted to join their band, and I've been strongly considering it. I hate comparing to other bands, but just for reference I would say they have a sound similar to Coheed & Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Mastodon, Tool, etc. A concept rock/metal band with heavy, melodic guitars, and driving, aggressive riffs.

Was considering dropping some hotter pups in the McCarty, and was wondering if the guitar would be suitable for this style of music? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I've heard the McCarty 594 is not a good guitar for rock/metal. I've always considered the McCarty SC 594 to be a better version of a Les Paul, which I know a lot of rock/metal bands who use LP's. I've also heard a McCarty SC 594 doesn't handle low tunings that well due to the shorter scale length, but again I know bands who use LP's that tune to Drop C, and Drop B without any issues. The band I'm considering joining mainly play in Drop D, but has some songs in Drop C. Would the 594 SC handle the drop c tunings?

In a nutshell I guess I just want to know if I put hotter pups in my SC 594 if it would be a suitable guitar for rock/metal, and if it would be able to handle drop c tunings? If the guitar is versatile enough.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks!
lol I use my mccarty 594 hollowbody ii mostly for metal/rock.

If something downstream from the guitar makes enough dirt, it'll be great. No it won't be the same as EMGs or super-hot passive pickups. I've seen people absolutely shred on PRS Hollowbodys, as Vazzy mentions.

Plus 1 no need to change pickups, get your dirt from your amp or pedals, I currently use my 2016 McCarty with its stock 58/15's in Drop C when my band are covering acts like Skillet, Opeth & FFDP. just make sure that the guitar is correctly setup for that tuning and you wont have any issues.

Thank you all for the responses, and the shared knowledge. I really appreciate it!

I will heed the advice, and not change the pickups. I guess I just figured the "vintage" voiced pickups in the 594 would not be suitable for rock/metal, I just thought you would want something a little more modern, a little hotter. I guess I was wrong.

I have no experience with the 594 to offer there but I think feel is going to be a big part of whether the pickups work for you or not. Tone wise I believe they will be there but will they provide the feel you are looking for. I really like hot ceramic bridge pickups for metal, I'm so used to the kick they hit the amp with. I have a LP with a set of Duncan Seth Lovers and while the sound is chunky and saturated enough the feel is different hitting the amp. Not the same compression or overall response. I'd say buy a Tremonti Treble pickup, that's a great pickup for metal, my opinion, IF the stock pickups are not what you are looking for.

Back