McCarty pickups through the years, which is best?

SlapTappy

The original early ones came with two Dragon Bass pickups.
Then McCarty pickups for several years.
More recently 57/08s, then 58/15s.

Which ones are best? What distinguishes them?

TLDR - here's the reason I'm asking. I have a DGT and I have the opposite problem everyone else has; I don't like the bridge pickup. I'm going for a low output, clear PAF sound which the neck pickup provides, but the bridge pickup is too hot and midrangey for my tastes. I know lots of people love it and that's great. My 594 is much more the sound I'm going for, but I like variety so I'd like a different flavor than the 58/15LTs in my DGT.
Plus I might pick up a McCarty model yet and I want to know what the consensus is on the sounds through the years. It's my favorite lineup from PRS Guitars (as you might tell from the 594/DGT). Cheers!

The original early ones came with two Dragon Bass pickups.
Then McCarty pickups for several years.
More recently 57/08s, then 58/15s.

Which ones are best? What distinguishes them?

TLDR - here's the reason I'm asking. I have a DGT and I have the opposite problem everyone else has; I don't like the bridge pickup. I'm going for a low output, clear PAF sound which the neck pickup provides, but the bridge pickup is too hot and midrangey for my tastes. I know lots of people love it and that's great. My 594 is much more the sound I'm going for, but I like variety so I'd like a different flavor than the 58/15LTs in my DGT.
Plus I might pick up a McCarty model yet and I want to know what the consensus is on the sounds through the years. It's my favorite lineup from PRS Guitars (as you might tell from the 594/DGT). Cheers!

What you think is the best, what you look for in a pick-up, I (and others here) could have a very different opinion. If you can, I think it makes much more sense to try and find some fitted in the same guitar and give them a run. It also may not matter too much if you can't source a set of pick-ups to put in your guitar.

The logical thing would be to say that the 58/15s are 'best' as that is the opinion of PRS. They must be because they have replaced the older Pick-ups. Compared to the 57/08's, they are 7 years 'newer' as determined by the second number. The 58/15's also have a LT (low turn) and MT (Multi-tap) variations so having a set of regular 58/15's could be the right set for you and different enough from the 58/15 LT's you have in your 594.

I am reluctant to ever say 'X' PU's are best for someone because what I want and prefer could be different. Its also not my money to 'lose' if the Pick-ups aren't right for you and also, its not me that will be playing and/or listening to it. There is also third party Pups that may give you the sound you want - Bare Knuckles seem a very popular choice too and maybe a lot easier to find a set.

I'm rather fond of my McCarty pickups in my older (1997) guitar. Those even had different covers with more rounded edges than what's "usual."

But I'm biased because I haven't had a lot of time with the others to tell and I can't just play any other McCarty for a direct comparison because mine is semi hollow.

Alright you diplomats, perhaps I should have phrased it "what's your favorite and why?" I'm just trying to get a feel for what differentiates each set/defining characteristics etc. Each set is broadly described as being "PAF" like or more "vintage" but does anyone have more detailed experience?

Of course nothing is best, this is all a subjective experience, which is why I'm asking for others experience on a guitar forum.

My favorite is the 57/08. I had an MC58 with them and it was very clear and even tonally. The splits are nice. Also, they can twang nicely if that's your thing.

I have a 594 and I find the 58/15LT pickups are okay, but a little dull. I won't change them, but they are far from favorites.

I actually prefer the 85/15 over the LT. I like their clarity, and find they have a GREAT split sound. But, they are stiffer sounding than the 57/08...which remains my favorite of all.

I have two guitars with the 58/15 LT's and absolutely love them. I really think they are such a great fit for both the 594 and HBii. I won't comment about my 509 as those PU's are not an option but my Custom 24 has the 85/15's and, whilst you haven't mentioned these, really do suit the Custom 24 well. I think these have a bit more punch, more modern vibe which is apt for a guitar that launched in 85 compared to more vintage inspired 594 and Hollowbody build of the HBii. Finally, I have the 58/15 MT's (and a narrowfield) in my Special Semi Hollow. I think these too have more drive than the LT version.

What I like about all of them is that they all have great clarity even with gain. You can hear the note definition in chords and in my opinion, I really think the Pick-ups are well matched to the guitars they come on. If you were to read about the guitar and picture the sound you might expect, the pick-ups seem to be well suited. Reading about the 594 and the inspiration, its understandable why the 58/15 LT's are fitted in that guitar.

Being well matched to the guitar for the vibe PRS were going for doesn't mean that someone who may want a 594 with a more modern sound will be ok with the 58/15 LT's but for me, I bought into that so happy with the Pups. Again though, it comes down to what you want to hear, what you hope the Pick-ups in your guitar will do for the tone. I am yet to hear a bad PRS guitar with PRS Pups. At most, the sound isn't necessarily my 'favourite' but I can't say any sound bad. There is a reason I don't have a 408 or Pauls Guitar and that is because they don't really add much to my collection other than adding a variation on the 2 humbucker type guitars with independent coil splitting. Considering I have a 594 and Special, also the rest of my guitars offer humbuckers (Cu24, HBii and 509), the 408 & Paul's aren't different enough for me to justify the cost and space they would take up. Its not that the sound is bad and if circumstances were different, I wouldn't hesitate to add these.

With the work and innovation that PRS do, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new revisions base on what they learned developing the JM635's and the TCI pick-ups in the Paul's. I am again not saying they are bad, but maybe they refine the Split sounds that most, if not all guitars offer. Whether they do or not, I don't think you can go wrong with any PRS pick-up. They all sound great but its whether you think they are exactly what you are looking for....

I picked up a 2011 MC 58 (essentially the classic "standard" McCarty model with fixed wrap-around stoptail bridge) and it came with 57/08 pickups. At first I thought I'd need to retrofit the "latest & greatest 58/15" pickups into it; however, the 57/08's have grown on me to the point that I have no interest in replacing them. As markd21 says above, they're very clear & even tonally. If I could add to that, I'd say they're smooth, musical, and elegant; not over-wound sounding, rude, or gritty at all, but still have meat/girth.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Between my 594 and Silver Sky compared to my 2008 DGT, the two newer guitars seem to play more "buttery" than my DGT. The DGT still plays better than all my other guitars, but the 594/Sky are on a whole new level of playability. Maybe for that reason alone I should be checking out the newer McCartys with 58/15 pickups. I used to have trouble getting along with the old wide/fat necks too, but I wonder if the earlier examples from 1994/1995 have the same profile that gave me trouble. It would be lovely if I could try all 3 versions back-to-back but that opportunity has never presented itself.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Between my 594 and Silver Sky compared to my 2008 DGT, the two newer guitars seem to play more "buttery" than my DGT. The DGT still plays better than all my other guitars, but the 594/Sky are on a whole new level of playability. Maybe for that reason alone I should be checking out the newer McCartys with 58/15 pickups. I used to have trouble getting along with the old wide/fat necks too, but I wonder if the earlier examples from 1994/1995 have the same profile that gave me trouble. It would be lovely if I could try all 3 versions back-to-back but that opportunity has never presented itself.

I can't argue with your impression of the playability of your newer guitars comparatively to your older DGT. That being said, Paul Reed Smith would say that the guitars he is (well his company is) building better guitars today than ever before. As for your experience, it maybe that the frets are newer and that is contributing to the difference - maybe not.

Before CNC, Bodies were carved on a 'copy router'. - a jig essentially that has rod on one side with a carved top and on the other side, a blank with the router. Someone would trace the rod over the carved top and the router would copy that movement and thus carve a top - which like CNC tops today, still have to be sanded by hand to remove the tool marks. I am not sure how the old necks were carved - possibly by hand but I do believe there was a greater variation. CNC means that they can 'pre-carve' the neck down to same size, following an exact pattern so every neck that comes out, is pretty much exactly the same shape. Like bodies that come out of the CNC, these necks still have to be sanded by hand to remove tool marks and get them smooth for finishing.

What this means though is a lot more consistency with each neck. They may not be exactly the same but only vary by hundredths of a mm (I am only saying this as an illustration of the tiny differences that may be present but don't have an accurate figure of the tolerances - it could be tenths or even thousandths if a mm but the point is, its far more consistent. What that means to a customer like yourself, especially if you are very sensitive to neck shape - their thickness and width, if you try a Pattern Regular and it feels right, then you know all Pattern Regular necks will be the same.

The DGT has its own neck carve too (I believe) and obviously the 594 has the Pattern Vintage carve but I don't know about the Silver Sky myself. Apart from any Signature carves that are unique to that model, the Pattern Vintage is the chunkiest neck with the 'widest' nut. I say Widest but its the same width as the Pattern and Pattern Thin. Pattern Regular is the narrowest - according to PRS - but its 1/32nd of an inch narrower - or 0.8mm if you are talking Metric. As someone with all the 'Pattern' neck carves, to me they are all similar enough that none pose a problem - the pattern vintage is the most recognisable because it feels the most 'worn in' but in a blind test, I don't know that I could say with any certainty what neck I was holding. When swapping, I have to spend more time getting used to the switches and knobs but apart from the Vintage neck, the others may as well be the same.

I am not you though and you may well be far more sensitive to those minor differences. For many years, I just played my Acoustic which has a small narrow neck with 'low' action - at least compared to a LOT of acoustics - it was that neck and action that made me buy after a 2year search. However, compared to that, I find PRS guitars to be 'small and that includes the necks. To reiterate, that's coming from an Acoustic that was relatively small for an acoustic and a bit bigger than my Epiphone LP so I am not the most sensitive when it comes to neck thickness or width - as long as its not too thin or narrow, I am ok

The best I can suggest is that you do a bit of testing out yourself. If you can get to a PRS dealer, try a Custom 24 with Pattern Thin as that's the most different from Pattern Vintage. If you are OK with that, then I see no reason why Pattern and Pattern Regular would be an issue either. If you can try a Custom 22 with Pattern Regular too, you should have a clear indication as to what PRS necks work for you. As for Pick-ups, again that's something you really ought to try. Obviously the Custom 22/24 come with 85/15's and you know what 58/15 LT's offer too. As for putting them in a DGT, again that's something you would need to try as they can sound different i a different guitar. At the end of the day, that aspect alone (sounding different in different guitars) makes me feel uncomfortable making any recommendations and to be honest, that can be trial and error. I have friends that loved a set of PU's so took them out of an old guitar to put in a new guitar and hated them - so put them back in the old guitar.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the hunt, enjoy the experience and come to a decision that best suits you...

I like the McCarty pickups in my '98 McCarty. They are different than the DGT pickups....more PAF like....although that's really hard to say because my DGT has a maple neck and an African Blackwood board.

Hunt down some late 90's McCarty pickups......I think that you will like them.

Well, I use three PRS as my go to electrics in the studio and live. I have a 2013 Limited 10 Top Custom 24, a First Edition SSky with a 17 Serial Number and a 2000 McCarty. I must tell you guys that when I compare my McCarty to my genuine Bursts(I have 58,59,60), I must confess that the McCarty is absolutely like a reimagined vintage but with far superior handling. I have experienced the same thing with my vintage strats(56,57,64,65,72) which Rest in their cases in my studio while I work daily with my PRS guitars. Was never a fanboi but now a convert…..

I have a '06 rosewood-neck McCarty with the stock McCarty pickups. That neck pickup is probably my favorite neck pickup in any guitar I've ever had; it's just great. The bridge pickup is pretty good, though I wish it had a little more presence/upper treble bite.

...BUT...

Based on my experience with that McCarty, I got a set of McCarty pickups that I put into a '15 Zack Myers semi-hollow. That was not a good combination. The McCarty pickups are IMHO wound a little dark, likely to fatten up the sound of a doublecut body to make it sound more like a singlecut. That EQ profile in a semi-hollow, which is itself a bit darker than a solidbody, turned out to be Mud City[tm]. That ZM went through a couple different sets of pickups and eventually ended up a Duncan Pearly Gates set, which were pretty much perfect for it.

I have PRS with Standard T&B from 86, then again HFS and VB from 96, McCs from 2000, 57/08 from 2013 as well as my Dec 2017 Launch Ed SSky….the HFS and VB are the hottest, the 57/08 are clearer, The McC sound woody,the Standard T&B have a lot of aggression and the SSky PU’s for me are the best Singlecoil PU’s I have ever played in a 3 Pu bolt on guitar.

I have owned a couple older McCarty models and currently own a 2015 AP with the 58/15's. For me, it is no contest; 58/15's all day long. They are some of the best modern PAF-ish humbucker around IMO and sound tremendous in the McCarty platform: clear, full, evenness across all strings and a perfect mix of attack, tightness and chewiness that makes them super versatile.

I have not tried 57/08's in a McCarty, but I have played them in a Custom 22, SC 245 and currently have a set in an old SAS. To me, they have alot of the characteristics I like in the 58/15 but with a bit more rawness and aggression....a bit wilder. I love them just as much though!

Although my 2000 McCarty with the original McCartys blows all my bursts(58-60)out of the water….

Back