McCarty pickups - first impressions

GavQuinn

In a nutshell;

The neck pickup is warm and rounded in the high end, the bridge is brighter but quite hot for a PAF type.

I think that this take on a PAF is quite fat, powerful, a lot of midrange. To be honest, these don’t really sound like PAFs - maybe PAF inspired..

Compared to the Monty’s PAF, it sounds like I’ve added a boost pedal to the signal. They’re hotter than I was expecting, in real terms.

Anyone else find these hot? kOhm numbers don’t matter, these seem to have a lot of push and drive, compression too.

Last edited:
Gav,

This post is timely. Though I think it necessary to consider DC values as well as construction and finish

McCarty pickups typically have a DC Resistance value of 9.00 kOhm (Treble) and 8.00 kOhm (Bass), and are similar to Artist Treble and Bass pickups (9.00/8.50).

Personally, I would not describe them as "hot" per se (compared to a Tremonti ceramic bridge, 15.42kOhm, for example) and because of the McCarty body weight and finish, works well with McCarty pickups.

Comparatively, the new 58/15LT pickups measure 7.75/7.75 kOhm Treble/Bass, which according to previous posts we've viewed, provide a more vintage tone but with clearer, tighter bass and warmer, creamier high-end.

Yet, each of our views regard what we like is subjective, because we all hear differently according to our personal physiologies, age, sinus cavities, and cranial structure.

What you may hear as being "hot" may be less so for people who prefer brighter with more volume. And vice-versa.

Sure, but as far as a PAF type go they’re hot. I was expecting a PAF type.

Of course, kOhm numbers don’t tell the story. No doubt the HFS or Tremonti are would with something thinner like 43 or 44awg, so the kOhm numbers end up being higher by default. That’s why I mentioned leaving these numbers aside.

At a glance, the LT pickups I’d expect to be bright, open and quite snappy. Maybe they aren’t. The wind matters too, the way they’re wound.

Even if I compare another 9k humbucker to the McCarty pickup, there’s a lot of push, midrange, bass and thickness that doesn’t seem like those numbers, assuming it’s a 42awg pickup. I think it must be the wind. It sounds very full and fat to me.

Of course, kOhm numbers don’t tell the story. No doubt the HFS or Tremonti are would with something thinner like 43 or 44awg, so the kOhm numbers end up being higher by default. That’s why I mentioned leaving these numbers aside.

At a glance, the LT pickups I’d expect to be bright, open and quite snappy. Maybe they aren’t. The wind matters too, the way they’re wound.

Even if I compare another 9k humbucker to the McCarty pickup, there’s a lot of push, midrange, bass and thickness that doesn’t seem like those numbers, assuming it’s a 42awg pickup. I think it must be the wind. It sounds very full and fat to me.

Of course wire gauge or composition is going to be a significant factor...and sorry to say, I don't personally know the wire composition of any of PRS's pickups, just the DC Values and magnet compositions.

Each pickup will sound varied because of several factors, including wire composition and winding. Others include potting for microphonics, magnet composition, magnet strength, DC resistance, and connecting wire (composition, length, etc).

Lastly, your own ears are vitally important, for we all have different bone structure that affects our ability to hear what others hear.

I feel that the 58/15LT+'s will possess the truly vintage tone for each new core & S2 PRS guitar that implements the TCI tuning process. It seems that Paul's mindset is providing the quality tone that many vintage guitar players seek at a fraction of the vintage price.

Of course wire gauge or composition is going to be a significant factor...and sorry to say, I don't personally know the wire composition of any of PRS's pickups, just the DC Values and magnet compositions.

Each pickup will sound varied because of several factors, including wire composition and winding. Others include potting for microphonics, magnet composition, magnet strength, DC resistance, and connecting wire (composition, length, etc).

Lastly, your own ears are vitally important, for we all have different bone structure that affects our ability to hear what others hear.

I feel that the 58/15LT+'s will possess the truly vintage tone for each new core & S2 PRS guitar that implements the TCI tuning process. It seems that Paul's mindset is providing the quality tone that many vintage guitar players seek at a fraction of the vintage price.

I was just surprised at the McCarty pickups, they’ve much more output than what I was really expecting to hear.

All things being equal, these pickups sound pretty beefy. I just didn’t imagine that they’d be as full sounding and have as much grunt, surprising.

Quite different in each position too. The neck is notably warmer than the bridge. This guitar is from 2002 - were these pickups well received at the time?

I was just surprised at the McCarty pickups, they’ve much more output than what I was really expecting to hear.

All things being equal, these pickups sound pretty beefy. I just didn’t imagine that they’d be as full sounding and have as much grunt, surprising.

Quite different in each position too. The neck is notably warmer than the bridge. This guitar is from 2002 - were these pickups well received at the time?

McCarty's (guitars, especially) were the bees knees before more recent models made the PRS scene. They were several steps up from a Cu22 stop tail, body thickness-wise, neck profile, and pickups. Closer to more recent DGTs, I'd dare say. Ted McCarty (of G-fame) was instrumental in providing input for these guitars, hence the name in honor of him.

The pickups had their own panache earlier this century. They were primarily voiced for McCarty guitars, with their own wind count and DC values that made for a guitar that sounded closer to a LP at the time, long before the 594 came into being...

I have a 2000 McCarty. I always liked the neck pickup but couldn't get along with bridge pickup.

They're both long gone.but I kind of wished I had them back now. Not that I'm certian I'd like them now but I need different things from my guitars at the moment than I did then.

I liked the old McCarty pickups … but not as much as my old McCarty P90's. :)

To me the McCarty pickups sound a lot like SD 59's, and that is a little stronger than PAF's.

They’re also like, the 1994 stylized version of what was considered “PAF-y”.

I feel like the public’s expectations for what is now considered the ideal “PAF tone” is a little more informed and widely agreed on.

I have a 2000 McCarty. I always liked the neck pickup but couldn't get along with bridge pickup.

They're both long gone.but I kind of wished I had them back now. Not that I'm certian I'd like them now but I need different things from my guitars at the moment than I did then.

They're much hotter than I expected! It's funny, you might not actually want now what you liked before.
What was your take on the two pickups? I find the neck much warmer in the highs than the bridge.

Last edited:
The pickups had their own panache earlier this century. They were primarily voiced for McCarty guitars, with their own wind count and DC values that made for a guitar that sounded closer to a LP at the time, long before the 594 came into being...

Maybe that's the hotter wind there; fatten up the midrange, more bottom end. I know when I swapped my 59/09s for PAFs it made it sound like a HB Strat on my custom 22, it was like a whole other guitar. I'm not surpised if that's what the goal was; to make the thinner McCarty more like a Single Cut, before there was a Sinlge Cut.

They're much hotter than I expected! It's funny, you might not actually want now what you liked before.
What was your take on the two pickups? I find the neck much warmer in the highs than the bridge.

I liked the McCarty neck, it sounded really full and warm with vol rolled down a bit.

It's been a really long time since I played those pickups so it's hard for me to describe what the bridge was like. I don't remember it being offensive but I do remember not liking it right from the start.

I run my guitar a lot differently now than I did back then so it might be something I can work with now.

All I know is that when I plug my McCarty in after a Tele or Strat, there is a bit of knob turning to eliminate the high level of bass. I was playing it last night and while the volume was fine for a strat, I had to turn it down for McCarty due to the pickups being 1. Hummers, and 2. being pretty hot. If they could have worked the mud out of them, most probably wouldn't have changed them if they were so inclined. And that push pull is not a Strat, more Tele. I do wish that in 04 they would have solved the volume changes when you engage the split.

I just put a set of McCartys in my CU22 match made in heaven , it was always a great sounding guitar but it is now outstanding :)

Back