McCarty Owners

zone

Hi all,

I’ve got a wood library McCarty and I’m playing with pickups at the moment.
57/08 stock pickups which I love, however I want to try something different as I’m more a hard rock/metal player.

I swapped out the bridge for a tremonti treble and it was a touch bright (no problem, put it in my Singlecut instead).
Currently have a SD Custom in there which is okay.

I’m looking at the PRS Metal pickups at the moment.
Anyone had experience with these in a McCarty?

I have them in a PS that's classified as a McCarty. Very versatile - they deliver the high gain stuff very well, but also clean up very nicely.

I have them in a PS that's classified as a McCarty. Very versatile - they deliver the high gain stuff very well, but also clean up very nicely.

they sounded great in all the videos I’ve seen.
Hunting a pair down in Aus is going to be a tough.
We have plenty of stockists here but they basically only carry SE guitars

I had M pickups in my 2000 McCarty for a while but I had it tuned to D at the time.

I thought they were fantastic for detuned stuff. They refuse to get muddy and do an excellent job of maintaining string clarity.

they didn’t excite me quite as much in Eb tuning so I pulled them and moved em.

Now 5909s sounded glorious in that same McCarty. Just sayin

I have put 59/09 in to one of my PRS's yesterday and I really dig what they do under moderate to high overdrive in Drop Db. I couldn't recommend them enough

PRS shop doesn’t ship to Australia unfortunately.
Have to use our local dealers which are useless.

I’ll check out the 59/09s online.
Still like the sound of the \m/ pickups also. I mainly play downtuned to C or C#

Bumping this thread for my curiosity as well. My 594 and stock McCarty both have 58/15 LT. They both are excellent but I feel overlap way too much. Usually when my guitars overlap I sell one. But I wish to have a guitar for downtuning so I’m tempted to get a Intonatable stoptail and swap pickups on my McCarty for downtuning. The McCarty is 25” and has phase 3 tuners already. I would like to go down to drop C range. Would \m/ get the job done in terms of clarity and handling the McCarty thickness compared to thinner metal like guitars? I know I’ll have to get the bone nut touched up as I’ll change strings, likely to 10-52 set

Hi all,

I’ve got a wood library McCarty and I’m playing with pickups at the moment.
57/08 stock pickups which I love, however I want to try something different as I’m more a hard rock/metal player.

I swapped out the bridge for a tremonti treble and it was a touch bright (no problem, put it in my Singlecut instead).
Currently have a SD Custom in there which is okay.

I’m looking at the PRS Metal pickups at the moment.
Anyone had experience with these in a McCarty?
PRS should offer the Dragon 1's again.

They're the best metal and hard rock pickups ever, IMO.

The neck pickup is very versatile and basically a strong '59 paf style pickup.

The bridge pickup is less versatile but for metal, hard rock, overdriven blues/rock and hard rock it's tough to beat.

It's not a great pickup for low volume traditional blues or jazz, but for rocking out with a great overdrive pedal it does the EVH thing and saturated Santana thing beautifully

Last edited:
Back