McCarty owners, paf pickups suggestions?

jamesboyd

Hi all! I've recently picked up a stunning 95' McCarty from a friend, absolutely loving the guitar but the pickups it came with (bareknuckle coldsweats bleh) are not doing it for me.

I know a lot of people will recommend the 57/08 pickups, but price/availability wise I'm not sure they're the best bang for your buck?

I play mostly rock/hard rock through marshall amps (jubilee + ceriatone yeti) and orange cabs (v30 speakers)

I'm huge fan of warren haynes/trucks/slash as far as tones go. Also the ability to have good split sounds is a must.

cheers :cool:

My experience with pickups is mostly PRS to PRS, but I have to say, if you like Trucks/Haynes/Allman, I think you'd be smitten with the 57/08's.

I just had this plugged into a Sweet 16 a little bit ago and that "Soulshine"/"Soul Serenade" tone always comes to mind.

ted.jpg

That said, I wouldn't take anyone's word on it. I'd hit the guitar shop and try a pair out on a mahog/maple guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with pickups is mostly PRS to PRS, but I have to say, if you like Trucks/Haynes/Allman, I think you'd be smitten with the 57/08's.

I just had this plugged into a Sweet 16 a little bit ago and that "Soulshine"/"Soul Serenade" tone always comes to mind.

ted.jpg

That said, I wouldn't take anyone's word on it. I'd hit the guitar shop and try a pair out on a mahog/maple guitar.

Ah such a fantastic musician! and what a sound :)

I'm kinda after something I can buy online straight away, the dgt/57/08 pickups I think would be great, but price/availability wise it's a bit tricky (also being in NZ our prs dealers never have anything new/worth trying)

Last edited by a moderator:
BKP Mules! The name says it all...And you could probably swap/exchange the BKP Cold Sweats against a set of Mules A4.The CS are modern voiced pu's.The Mules are exact PAF replicas.

I may be in a very small minority, but I've never seen the need to change out the original pickups in any PRS I've ever owned. But for many years now, whenever I've changed out pickups in something else I've had great luck with Seymour Duncan products. These days there are tons of other choices, but I've never found any that I like better. Lots of models, readily available, fair prices, good customer service... that's enough for me.

Goldtop

Save your pennies and get the 57/08's. I just bought a set from a guy on Vintage Rocker for $280.

This,

or

BKP Mules! The name says it all...And you could probably swap/exchange the BKP Cold Sweats against a set of Mules A4.The CS are modern voiced pu's.The Mules are exact PAF replicas.

This.

I have 57/08's in my McCarty Shootout and Bare Knuckle Mules in my Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue, and both pickups are very similar in their voicings and character and are excellent PAF style pickups and I would recommend either. The 57/08's are the best stock pickup I have heard. That said, there are many aftermarket boutique winders who also do very good PAF style pickups as well. With a little research on the net I'm sure you'll find something to suit your tastes and budget.

I had the 57/08's in "Riza" & popped in a set of Dirty South 55's & WOW! All the chimey-ness of the PAF/57/08 pups, but with added low end. Plus a KILLER tapped tones. I added a pair of push-push pots and Riza is now my #1. Very versatile. It really sounds like the best Les Paul I've ever played. And since its a PRS, it stays in tune and plays flawlessly! Bonus is the DIrty South pups are cheaper than any of the other guys. Just my 2 cents. I have a video or 2 out there to kinda give an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHzF_tLoHtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpfD62maW8&noredirect=1

Before you change the pickups try to lower them and use less preamp volume/more master volume on the amp.Also try to cut some bass and add middle.Also try the Schenker thing with treble on zero and using presence for highs.Eric Johnson turns presence to zero and treble around 9-11 oclock.Do you use the volume knob on the guitar much?If you adjust the amp to a "solo" sound with volume knob on 10 and gradually turn it down all the classic rock sounds will be found.Thats the way lots of the guys you mention does it.Many classic Marshall sounds was done with a Les Paul and a Dimarzio super distortion pickup.A similar combo as your axe with the coldsweats.

Last edited:
I once owned a McCarty (should kick myself for selling it) and put Tom Holmes pickups in it. They worked great, but are difficult to find and he currently has a 2 year waiting list.

I currently own a Mira that I installed WCR Fillmore's in and they work beautifully. They split very nicely. You lose some volume but they remain very fat and clear. I think any of Jim's pickups would work great for this application. Tell him what you are after tonewise and he won't steer you wrong.

Back