McCarty or McCarty 594

That's what I'm learning towards if the 594 becomes the lead "jones".

I have an outstanding Collings I35 with the "60's" neck profile. Which is more like the vintage pattern than you would expect. The Collings standard profile is rather stout but comfortable imo. So I'm good with 4 knobs and more neck girth if you will and scale length. The Collings has the low wind Lollars so I'd be at home with the pups in either PRS. Deciding on something a little different or wanting it to be "familar" is the rub. That's why your first response makes so much "sense" to me. Lol.
Thanks to all for the chime ins.

I have an I-35 with low wind Imperials as well—great guitar. You’ll find unique magic, however, in the SC594-58/15LT TCI marriage that I’ve never heard in any other guitar. It does cleans, it does heavy rock and roll, it does everything in between. Better.

Another huge difference is the driving position on the SC594 vs the I35. It fits so like a glove.

I say go for the 594, and yes I am biased because my latest acquisition is a 594!

Before I pulled the trigger on mine, I did look at other options to make sure I wasn’t going to end up wanting something else. I ultimately decided on the following:
  • Phase 3 locking tuners on the 594 vs regular vintage keys
  • 2V/2T is a better configuration for me than just a single volume/single tone since I already have a CU24 with master controls
  • Pattern vintage neck on the 594; this asymmetrical neck appealed to me vs the Pattern since I have a Pattern Regular on my CU24
  • I found my 594 in a dreamy Honey finish
Basically, I went with the 594 because it was different than what I already had. Sure, a CU22 would sound different than a McCarty, but the similar neck and controls might be enough that the guitars almost feel similar. However, this might be a reason why you choose the regular McCarty over the 594, especially if the controls are what you prefer.

Just be sure to let us know when you get both ;)
Great points. Well taken.

I have an I-35 with low wind Imperials as well—great guitar. You’ll find unique magic, however, in the SC594-58/15LT TCI marriage that I’ve never heard in any other guitar. It does cleans, it does heavy rock and roll, it does everything in between. Better.

Another huge difference is the driving position on the SC594 vs the I35. It fits so like a glove.
Interesting. I definitely hear what you're saying. The only noticeable and very slight issue I have with my new to me '98 cu22 is it's a little a$$ end heavy when playing seated. At a little over 8.5lb she wants to dip back a bit. I'm wondering if a sc will be a little more balanced.

Last edited:
That's what I'm learning towards if the 594 becomes the lead "jones".

I have an outstanding Collings I35 with the "60's" neck profile. Which is more like the vintage pattern than you would expect. The Collings standard profile is rather stout but comfortable imo. So I'm good with 4 knobs and more neck girth if you will and scale length. The Collings has the low wind Lollars so I'd be at home with the pups in either PRS. Deciding on something a little different or wanting it to be "familar" is the rub. That's why your first response makes so much "sense" to me. Lol.
Thanks to all for the chime ins.

I have a '60s SG Special. You're right, the neck isn't like a wide thin, it's actually not far off the vintage pattern.

Interesting. I definitely hear what you saying. The only noticeable and very slight issue I have with my new to me '98 cu22 is it's a little a$$ end heavy when playing seated. At a little over 8.5lb she wants to dip back a bit. I'm wondering if a sc will be a little more balanced.
I have several Les Pauls at that weight. They balance seated just fine.
Heritage version of the les Paul I found body heavy. The opposite of a SG

I’d love my McCartys more if I could blend the volumes in the middle position, and separate tone controls would come in real handy, too!

Interesting. I definitely hear what you're saying. The only noticeable and very slight issue I have with my new to me '98 cu22 is it's a little a$$ end heavy when playing seated. At a little over 8.5lb she wants to dip back a bit. I'm wondering if a sc will be a little more balanced.
That will vary between guitars, obviously, but a quick “fix” could be found in a semi-hollow version if you find the solidbody to be too mobile.

Back