McCarty or McCarty 594

Markob

I don't know if it's sad or exciting that after only a short time owning my cu22 trem I'm already planning my next. I thought I'd settled on a new core McCarty in tobacco burst. Simple, classic in a "modern vintage" vibe. Didn't want to mull over all the models and get too many choices in my "gassed" head. Now after the recent NGD from Atticus the 594 has wormed its way into said head.

I know and understand the differences on paper. I like wrap around tail pieces but the idea of the 594 bridge and tail makes sense. Still leaning towards the straight McCarty dc for the simplicity and layout. Two knobs, three way, and push pull tone knob for splits.
It won't happen real soon but the bug has bit. I figure they're similar enough to both feel about the same. Any of those with both or opinions,how did you decide? I'm not even sure of the cost difference yet. Yes, some may say get both ha! Don't tempt me. Seriously, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I say go for the 594, and yes I am biased because my latest acquisition is a 594!

Before I pulled the trigger on mine, I did look at other options to make sure I wasn’t going to end up wanting something else. I ultimately decided on the following:
  • Phase 3 locking tuners on the 594 vs regular vintage keys
  • 2V/2T is a better configuration for me than just a single volume/single tone since I already have a CU24 with master controls
  • Pattern vintage neck on the 594; this asymmetrical neck appealed to me vs the Pattern since I have a Pattern Regular on my CU24
  • I found my 594 in a dreamy Honey finish
Basically, I went with the 594 because it was different than what I already had. Sure, a CU22 would sound different than a McCarty, but the similar neck and controls might be enough that the guitars almost feel similar. However, this might be a reason why you choose the regular McCarty over the 594, especially if the controls are what you prefer.

Just be sure to let us know when you get both ;)

See how it turns? I have a 594 and really want a McCarty for the reasons you state...I like the simplicity of two master controls.

Just because its different though...nothing wrong with 2v and 2t!

I had a CU22 (and one or two other similar Pattern profile necks) before getting a 594, and I could not bond with the deeper Pattern Vintage neck profile of the 594. I've tried others since then, too, and came up with exactly the same result--which is that while I find the Pattern neck to be very comfortable and playable, the Pattern Vintage is a bit too deep for comfort in my hands.

More recently, I snagged one of the last models of the SC 245 w/2-piece bridge and Pattern neck profile (24.5" scale--extremely close to the 24.594"; but these guitars didn't have the Pattern Vintage neck yet) and thought it was excellent. Proof to me that my problem remains with the Pattern Vintage profile, and not the scale length. [And before anybody flames me, I said "my problem;" I understand there's many who like the new neck profile.]

I prefer the 594 - mostly because the layout is very familiar to me and I love the shorter scale and neck carve too.

I have two 594's (Solid and Hollowbody) and I have a few 25" Pattern Neck guitars too (Special and Hollowbody) so I haven't felt the need to add a McCarty. I do like the McCarty but given the choice, the 594 is just a better 'fit' for me. You can't go wrong with either though so it really comes down to preference over the differences

I had two 594s, but traded one of the 594s in on a McCarty WL with trem.

I've had several McCartys, and missed the one I previously traded in on...you guessed it...one of the 594s!

You might ask, why have I had several McCartys instead of just keeping one all these years? I have no idea.

Does anything I do make sense? No. But then I ask, do things have to make logical sense? Instruments are better than mood goggles. I buy on emotion, and use them to create emotion. Well, maybe that kinda-sorta makes sense if one accepts a somewhat distorted definition of the word, 'sense'.

In my defense, I also have a McCarty Singlecut, which is very much like a 594 with a slightly shorter scale length, and a PS Anniversary from 2016 with a 594 scale length.

The 594 sounds more vintage-vibey than a McCarty. But the McCarty is just a bit crisper in the low strings just because of its 25" scale length, which I sometimes like, and, being inherently lazy, there are times I only want two knobs. Yeah. I know! It's so much work to move two other little knobs! :rolleyes:

Oh, you wanted advice. I forgot. Get the 594 as it'll be more different from what you have than the McCarty. Then get a McCarty.

PS - Before buying, try the Singlecut 594. It has a bit more lower midrange oomph. Whether that's important or not is another matter, but at least it's worth comparing the two.
This is a good point. I was surprised at the difference in personality between the two, given that everything else was identical. Two versions of good, but different enough to be their own thing.

PS - Before buying, try the Singlecut 594. It has a bit more lower midrange oomph. Whether that's important or not is another matter, but at least it's worth comparing the two.
That's what I'm learning towards if the 594 becomes the lead "jones".

I have an outstanding Collings I35 with the "60's" neck profile. Which is more like the vintage pattern than you would expect. The Collings standard profile is rather stout but comfortable imo. So I'm good with 4 knobs and more neck girth if you will and scale length. The Collings has the low wind Lollars so I'd be at home with the pups in either PRS. Deciding on something a little different or wanting it to be "familar" is the rub. That's why your first response makes so much "sense" to me. Lol.
Thanks to all for the chime ins.

Last week I was finally able to play a 594 (regular and singlecut), a DGT WL, and a CU24. I loved the regular or doublecut 594 more than the singlecut. I am primarily a LP player, but looking for something else. The 594 felt familiar, but better - and that's what sold me. The DGT felt great too and will hope to pick one up at some point. I didn't vibe with the singlecut which was odd considering what I primarily play, but that's fine. My biggest issue with the 594 is finding a color that I like. There are so many great ones!

I think you'll like either of your choices, both great, but you'll really like that 594.

I have an older 2001 McCarty, and a 2017 594. Both with IRW necks.
They both sound awesome, with the nod going to the 594 for versatility.
The neck on the McCarty is wide/fat, the neck on the 594 pattern vintage. Again the nod goes to the 594.
I like the phase III tuners on the 594 as well.
The 2021 editions of both make them closer than my two examples are, and they are both extremely worthy choices indeed.
If I could only keep one, I'd have to say 594.

So this is slightly different but I have the McCarty 594 Hollowbody II and it has become my favorite guitar out of all my PRS's so far. (Currently have the Se 22, Custom 24 Floyd, the McCarty 594 Hollowbody II and soon to be a proud owner of a Lunar Ice Silver Sky). Hell this is my favorite guitar in my entire collection!

It is one magical beast and I highly recommend giving it a shot. No feedback issues either if that is a concern.

Back