McCarty Korina vs Mahogany/Maple

JohnnyStrings

I'm curious about specific tonal comparisons between the mahogany/maple vs. korina McCarty... I'm in the market for juat one new guitar, used around $1500 give or take. Way back when I owned a McInturff Taurus Sportster, which was a chambered mahogany beast with a nice coil split: I would play a plain old first position chord on that through a Cart Slant 6V, and just smile. No Carr amp anymore either, but a Supersonic 22 is close. Since TCMs are now few and far between (and PRS quality being a factor therein), I'm looking at PRS, specifically the thick-bodied McCarty models. So, I wonder which model would better range from a ballsy, spanky split-coil strat tone (a-la SRV Lenny, to sustained leads and tight chunky rhythms, a-la Dream Theater? A tall order, but maybe Korina can tackle it? I know multiple guitars is always the best answer, but I'm askin' anyway. Thanks for the insight.

Hmmm. I have a McCarty (maple top, mahogony back, rosewood neck) and a Korina McCarty (all korina); I would definitely say that the Korina has balls for DAYS, lol. The tone is thick and articulate. It will command attention. I dont know that it can successfully mimic that strat single coil though...

Of the two McCartys that I have, I would choose the Korina and, if needed, change the pickups to something that splits better than the original pickups. The Korina has the added benefit of being lighter in weight than my other McCarty.

What I would love to hear one day is a PRS with a maple top and korina back/neck. Maybe with 57/08s. The maple top may give it an extra special kick of brightness.

They’re both nice, but I’ll point out the obvious — a traditional humbucker guitar with a set neck is not going to give you the tones of a single coil guitar with a plastic pickguard and a bolt on maple neck like SRV, whether it’s made from Mahogany/Maple, Korina or Semolina.

There are simply too many differences in construction, pickups, scale length, hardware, etc., for that to happen.

Horses for courses. You probably already know this, but I’ll point it out just in case. ;)

There are PRSes that will come close, but the McCarty is a different thing.

One other thing about Korina...out of all of my PRS guitars (Swamp Ash Specials with NF, Artist Custom 24 with 85/15, Artist Brazilian McCarty with 58/15LT, Brazilian 408, DC3, etc), the Korina McCarty (with McCarty pups) sounds the meanest when overdriven. Its hard to believe that something so 'pretty' and perfectly sweet looking can sound SO nasty.

If there are multiple guitars to choose from, I strongly recommend playing them before purchasing (if possible). In my case, I initially bought 2 Korina McCarty guitars. Same year of production, same specs, same neck carve, etc but one didnt sound nearly as good as the other one. I ended up selling the backup one and I kept the one that spoke to me.

Coincidentally, the one that spoke to me happened to be RED.

;)

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to wing it with korina. I've been cruising youtube and something about how articulate it is, even in a video with some novice (not unlike myself in far too many regards) pushing it through some crushing deep, heavy solid state distortion, it was still articulate, and while angry, still very nice tonally. Thanks again.

There was a 10 - 12 guitar run of full korina DGTs a few years ago that might fit the bill. Hard to find though as they don’t pop up for sale often. There are other DGTs with korina body, necks and maple cap, and ones with just a korina neck. My favorite guitar and the only one I regret selling was a Wood Library DGT with hog back, korina neck, and Brazilian fretboard. The DGT can play anything, best control layout, great split tones and nice thick body. You will have trouble getting them at your price range though in most cases, especially if you are trying for one with korina on it in one way or another.

Last edited:
I still haven't pulled the trigger yet... the mahogany/maple tone set, by the book, seems to match up with some of my likes (e.g. Dream mentioned in first post)... and sure, the amp and an EQ pedal can probably dial in whatever I need, but I don't want to fight the guitar's natural tendencies too much, and I worry I might spend too much time removing unwanted mids. Then again maybe that's easier than trying to add them back when the occasion warrants it. Thanks for entertaining my waffling.

I still haven't pulled the trigger yet... the mahogany/maple tone set, by the book, seems to match up with some of my likes (e.g. Dream mentioned in first post)... and sure, the amp and an EQ pedal can probably dial in whatever I need, but I don't want to fight the guitar's natural tendencies too much, and I worry I might spend too much time removing unwanted mids. Then again maybe that's easier than trying to add them back when the occasion warrants it. Thanks for entertaining my waffling.

Waffling is always entertaining. Everyone can relate. And soon you’ll be entertaining us with a pic of your new whatever-it-is.

I think you’re relying an awful lot on luck if you haven’t played either one personally, and you’re trying to make this choice by remote control based on theoretical comparisons “by the book.”

If you’re going back and forth, it doesn’t sound like you’re much of a gambler. You really should play both and then decide, but then, being sensible and actually experiencing the goods is unfashionable in these internet times. Of course, that’s one reason there are so many used guitars, amps and doodads flooding the market.

What I would love to hear one day is a PRS with a maple top and korina back/neck. Maybe with 57/08s. The maple top may give it an extra special kick of brightness.

If you find yourself north of Atlanta GA, look me up and you can take mine for a test drive:
IMG_6853-L.jpg

Korina back/neck, Brazilian board, 57/08 bridge, 58/15lt neck.
Lots of cajones, with a killer split neck sound, although the CU24 in between switch positions do a closer Strat impression.

I live a bit out in the sticks, but recognize that's still a poor excuse for not spending a weekend in my old college town of La Crosse WI, which remains less than 4 hours away and is home to that heaven known as Dave's Guitar Shop. But anyway - I've completed my waffle and just made an offer on a used mahogany/maple McCarty, and will certainly entertain with details once the deal is done.

If you find yourself north of Atlanta GA, look me up and you can take mine for a test drive:
IMG_6853-L.jpg

Korina back/neck, Brazilian board, 57/08 bridge, 58/15lt neck.
Lots of cajones, with a killer split neck sound, although the CU24 in between switch positions do a closer Strat impression.

Suh-weet!

My cousins live in the ATL

:)

Back